WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I think I'm the very first person on this forum to get one of these... right? (Just kidding of course)

So my 2531.80 full size Bond arrived today, and after unpacking it I was relieved to find it is in great condition. Got it from jmryshi on ebay, he seems to be as good of a seller as people on here say. Very smooth transaction, and the pics in the auction were not overly flattering. Watch is very well taken care of for being 3 years old.

So my couple of questions are... the crystal seems to stick up a bit higher on the 3 o'clock side relative to the bezel insert, than the 9 o'clock side. The bezel sits very flat to the watch case and has no gap anywhere all around. Does that mean anything is "funny" with the crystal? Or is that totally within what's considered normal... I've attached a couple of pictures, the dual photo being from the auction, and the other one I just now took.

(I've also had a mid-size seamaster for over 10 years, so I've got some Omega experience, and the crystal is perfectly even all around with the bezel insert on it).

The other issue is that it has a bit of the dreaded bezel misalignment. Not bad, mind you, but just bad enough for an OCD WIS like myself to notice. About 1/4 to 1/3 a second to the left of center. I've done some searching on here and some say it's "an easy fix for a watchmaker," but what exactly do they do? Do they pop off the bezel, take out the insert, put the bezel back on, and glue/snap the insert back in while carefully aligning the insert? I'm guessing the orientation of the metal bezel itself can't really be changed, right?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
I wonder if the bezel has been replaced at some point and not been installed properly? That would explain the misalignment. In ten years of selling, I've never seen a misaligned Bond SMP bezel.
Also, if you press down alternately on the bezel at the 3 and 9 o'clock sides, is there any 'play'?

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
thats pretty odd mate

i'll concur with Ritz here and say i haven't seen any misaligned SMP bezels (although i have seen a LOT less than he has) ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's any evidence the crystal hasn't been replaced, the red dot is intact on the caseback, and nope, no play when pressing down on the bezel.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't think that's a "lifted" crystal. I think the bezel is tilted. It sits slightly higher off the case on the He valve side. as a result, the crystal looks "lower" relative to it.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I got my 2234 off the Bay. When I got it I noticed both that the insert index wasn't aligned with a "Point" on the bezel ring and that the insert was uneven like yours.

I figured that the insert had been replaced by an aftermarket one which was confirmed when it fell out one day in the pool. I saw drops of glue that had been used to hold it in, which I understand should not be necessary for a factory bezel.

Anyway, I replaced the replacement and it looks fine now. When I placed the old insert on the table, I noticed that it didn't lie flat. It must have been bent when he replaced it.

Otto Frei has replacement bezels which come in the ring but are kind of expensive. Alternately, it may still be possible to get this one fixed by a watchmaker. Or get another aftermarket bezel and carefully place it in.

Sorry this happened man. That degree of difference in my bezel has cost me alot of time and money in experimenting with solutions.

Deacon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts