WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have assembled a few 6497 and 6498 based watches in the past and have recently decided to make a 2824-2 based watch for myself.
I received my movement in the mail today and was very surprised by the size of the movement. I guess i have been too used to the huge size of the 649X movements.
Ever since receiving the 2824-2 movement, i have been unable to advance the date wheel when adjusting the time during hack mode by turning the crown towards me (anti clockwise turning).
The only way i can advance the date so far is to use the quick set feature.
This doesnt sound normal right?
Is there anything wrong with my movement?
Please help!
Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, my other quartz movements in my Seikos are able to let me advance the date when adjusting the time during hack mode.
Not sure if this should also be the case for automatic movements?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Seiko 7S36 date advancement behaves the same way as the quartz movements as well..
mmm.... :-s:-s:-s
I am really convinced that the 2824-2 i have is faulty...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Paradigm, can you please explain a little more?
I thought watch movements should allow date wheels to advance using the time setting function (i.e. advancing a day when the hour hand completes 2 revolutions around the dial during time setting mode)
Isnt this a neccessary feature when setting the correct time? (AM or PM)

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Never had that problem with any 2824-2 movement i have had or worked on.

In fact, my normal method of setting time/date is to advance the date to one date prior, then rotate the hands until the date flips over. Done so I know I am setting to the correct AM/PM position.

Also, you have to rotate the hands until date flip to properly align the date with the hand when installing the hands.

Unless you have the dial installed the hour wheel may not be engaging the date change idler. Or you do not have the hour wheel spring installed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never had that problem with any 2824-2 movement i have had or worked on.

In fact, my normal method of setting time/date is to advance the date to one date prior, then rotate the hands until the date flips over. Done so I know I am setting to the correct AM/PM position.

Also, you have to rotate the hands until date flip to properly align the date with the hand when installing the hands.

Unless you have the dial installed the hour wheel may not be engaging the date change idler. Or you do not have the hour wheel spring installed.
Errrm... oh WAIT A MINUTE.....
Hour wheel..
Yes, i am still waiting for the other parts to arrive and the movement is the first to reach me and i have been fiddling (carefully of course) with the bare movement only. No dial installed yet.
The hour wheel on the 2824 movement is not a separate entity like the 6497 right? So are you saying that the back of a 2824 dial holds the key to making the date wheel advance?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
The hour wheel on the 2824-2 can come off if there is no dial, same as most movements, (6497 included, I believe.)

The hour wheel is the gear that turns the idler that, in turn spins the date change wheel.

Turn the crown and see if the date change wheel (the gold colored one) turns with it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello guys, ok by searching on the internet for pictures of the 2824, it looks like the ebay seller sold me this movement w/o the hour wheel.
Sigh... o|o|o|o|o|
Any advices on where to source out the hour wheel? I am in need of additional winding stems as well...

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
You can pick up the stems from Esslinger.

I’m troubleshooting a new 2824-2 as well.

Good luck with yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts