WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have had my 2nd Aquaracer Calibre 5 for approx 3 months. From days 1 I have had the same problem as the previous watch I owned. That being, if I take my watch off for more than a couple of hours it stops. I then have to then adjust the time each time and then start again. I also take my watch off at night where it stops 100% of the time by morning.

This watch is now valued at £1800 and I find this very, very frustrating. I could buy a watch for £10 and it would tell me the time when I wake up in the morning.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Thanks for advice in advance!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Do you lead a rather sedentary lifestyle?
I'm guessing this aquaracer is an automatic and those require a fair bit of arm motion to keep it powered. Consider investing in a watch winder.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
If you've had two Aquaracers and are experiencing them both stopping I think that the problem is not with the watches but rather you not quite understanding how an automatic watch works and how to keep them running. I'd suggest going back and reading the manual that came with the watch regarding it's power reserve and best practices to keep the watch wound. You may also want to purchase a watch winder as mentioned above if you find that suits you better.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Hi,

I have had my 2nd Aquaracer Calibre 5 for approx 3 months. From days 1 I have had the same problem as the previous watch I owned. That being, if I take my watch off for more than a couple of hours it stops. I then have to then adjust the time each time and then start again. I also take my watch off at night where it stops 100% of the time by morning.

This watch is now valued at £1800 and I find this very, very frustrating. I could buy a watch for £10 and it would tell me the time when I wake up in the morning.

Thanks for advice in advance!
Did you buy it new or was it on a shelf for many years? Or did you buy it second hand? If so it could mean it needs a service.

As new88 mentioned it could also be your life style (sitting most of your time behind a desk in a similar posture) and the watch does not fully wind.

But if you take it off and it stops after some hours there is something wrong. I think the power reserve (fully wound) on most ETAs is close to 40 hours. BUT: if it is never fully wound from begin with it could well mean it stops after some hours.

Tag makes also some nice quartz models which may be better suit you.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Have you tried manual winding the watch?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Probably not auto winding the watch enough due to a more sedentary life style? Just use the crown to hand wind it, 40-50 turns to make sure it is fully wound up. Then leave it on a table and see how many hours of power reserve it has got ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,862 Posts
Probably not auto winding the watch enough due to a more sedentary life style? Just use the crown to hand wind it, 40-50 turns to make sure it is fully wound up. Then leave it on a table and see how many hours of power reserve it has got ?

This.

And it would be a good habit to wind it 20-30 times every time you put on the watch after it's stopped.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Personally having owned my fair share of Tags I am not terribly impressed with their QC. I will keep what I have but most likely will not be adding any to the stable anytime soon. I am not implying you have an issue with yours (seems you move as much as a tree sloth) but rather my 2cents on Tag quality.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I too have a caliber 5 Aquaracer and am experiencing stopping issues. I fully wind it and wear it actively for at least 12 hours a day. I put it on a winder at night and within a week it has stopped. I thought it might have a problem self winding but it lasts 2x-3x it's power reserve.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

if you haven't done this already, this is the first thing to try.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I too have a caliber 5 Aquaracer and am experiencing stopping issues. I fully wind it and wear it actively for at least 12 hours a day. I put it on a winder at night and within a week it has stopped. I thought it might have a problem self winding but it lasts 2x-3x it's power reserve.
How come?

Does it just slow down or does it go on by showing good time until it stops?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It runs about +2s per day and then comes to a dead stop. Always at night but it's on the winder. It doesn't matter what direction its winding. I'm just gonna have to take it in.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Always at night but it's on the winder. It doesn't matter what direction its winding. I'm just gonna have to take it in.
If it's never stopping on your wrist but it IS stopping on the winder, then the problem is likely the winder and not the watch. Do you have it set properly for that watch? Winding direction isn't the only thing that changes from watch to watch.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,625 Posts
Clarify that part -- it reads like you're saying it can run for 70-90 hours instead of the 36+ that is the usual spec.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I can only set the rotation on the winder. Thing is I still wear the watch actively for 12hrs a day. None of my other autos stop on me.
And maybe there actually is something wrong with the watch. But, some watch in your collection is always going to have the worst winding efficiency. And, if it consistently stops on the winder but never stops on your wrist, then you know that the winder isn't doing as good a job of winding the watch as your wrist is. Common sense at this point says that you need to look at the winder.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,625 Posts
Back to the OP --

It's possible that your day is too sedentary, yes. That's a guess on our part because we don't know what your day is really like.

There was another thread earlier this year from someone who had bought her father a nice Hamilton auto. The problem she discovered was that he spent his days sitting at home and reading. When he got up to walk the dog, he switched to a Timex Ironman digital because he didn't want to risk messing up the nicer Hamilton. So, the auto winding mechanism, which winds with the movement of the wearer, had no movement to help keep it wound.

·
Registered
985 Posts
When you said
I have had my 2nd Aquaracer Calibre 5 for approx 3 months.
do you mean you bought an Aquaracer, had the watch stopand got it fixed either under warranty or by a local watchmaker (if it was out of warranty), and now the same problem has returned?
If so, then it could be an issue with the watch that wasn't properly identified or repaired the first time around. These kind of mistakes happen all the time across all brands.

Now if you mean to say this Aquaracer is a completely different watch than the first, then it raises the possibility that you aren't moving enough to keep the watch fully wound. Or it could still be a mechanical issue with the watch.

In ether case, a quick way to find out if it's the watch or you, is to fully wind the watch by hand before bed and check to see if it's still running in the morning. If it is, then the watch isn't the issue.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I hope it's the winder and not the watch. It should still not be stopping after a week even if it never saw the winder.
But you DO wear it for 12hr a day during that week, correct? In that case the winder is irrelevant, the watch should NOT stop. But If you rely too much on the winder, like leaving it on it for 2-3 days at a time , I won't be surprised if the watch stopped as there are winders that are quite inefficient.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts