WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2nd Samson watch arrives

Hello all! My second Samson Watch arrived today and I'm quite impressed. I'll give my initial impressions, however please keep in mind I'm a newbie to this watch bidness. I'm sure I will leave out some info so feel free to post questions and I'll do my best to provide answers. I also just noticed that, in my excitement, I left fingerprints all over the watch in my pics!!

The watch case measures approx 43 mm across, not including the crown. Lug to lug distance is 50 mm. I don't have a way to measure the weight of the watch, however this is a heavy, substantiative watch. Very solid feeling. A lightly domed saphire crystal covers the face and it has an exhibition back showing the automatic movement. If I remember correctly it is water resistant to 5atm.

The face is lovely and elegant in my oh so humble 'pinion. My pictures don't do the watch justice, as you can just barely see the textured pattern. Samson calls this a "Jump Date Watch". Small sub at the bottom shows day of the week and the arched dial/pointer hand show the date. After the 31st the long pointer hand sweeps back to the 1st. Day and date are advanced with recessed pushers. The watch has no second hand which will take some getting used to. Each hour is marked by a gold index, subtle and yet very visible at the same time.

The watch is about 12 mm thick, not so bulky as to really get in the way but it definitely has wrist presence. It came with fairly nice black leather straps with white contrasting stitching. I'll probably be replacing these with something a little nicer though. Lugs measure 20 mm, which really opens up my strap possibilities.

The watch apears to be fairly accurate in the short time that I've had it on, of course without a second hand I can't tell if I'm plus/minus seconds. That's okay with me, I'm not an accuracy nut. I purchased this beauty from ChakSam on Ebay. Here's the link to the auction in case you're curious.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280160925033&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018
Just under 78.00USD shipped to my door. Shipping time was about two weeks from Hong Kong. The watch looks and feels like a much more expensive piece! And just to finish up, here are a couple of obligatory wrist shots. (I really need a macro lens!!)

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure that each month the date indicator will go to the 31st. Just as it does with most of my other auto's and quartz watches with day/date wheels. No biggie, one punch of the pusher every other month and I'm good!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice watch for the price paid. However, on the back of the watch it says 3 ATM not 5 ATM. I am also very curious if the glass is truly sapphire (top only or both top and bottom). Can you drop a drop of water on the lens and then straighten the watch if the water sort of beads and flow down it is a genuine sapphire. If it spreads and stay it is not likely to be sapphire. All my genuine sapphire lens passed this test.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you ever take off the watch, please test the other side as well. But remember to clean it first as the sweat/dirt may affect the test. Thank you very much

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you ever take off the watch, please test the other side as well. But remember to clean it first as the sweat/dirt may affect the test. Thank you very much
Okay I quit being lazy and managed to remove the watch from my wrist. I cleansed the back of the watch with a micro fiber cloth and performed the water test. Water does not bead up on the back glass as it does on the front. So, saphire front and mineral glass on the back.

Incidentally, last night I gave the new watch a little torture test. I hopped on my treadmill for a 45 minute jog and worked up a soaking sweat. No condensation or leakage occured and tonight the watch is spot on to the minute of my laptop clock from which I set it. Tomorrow I'm going to go out on the mountain bike and see if anything shakes loose! |>

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm sure that each month the date indicator will go to the 31st. Just as it does with most of my other auto's and quartz watches with day/date wheels. No biggie, one punch of the pusher every other month and I'm good!
No generally you only need punch 7 times per year. In Feb you punch 3 times, April, June, Sep and Nov only need punch once.
In leap year however only 6 times per year are required, you only need punch 2 times in Feb, rest same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts