WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Just received a lot of 3 watches that I bought for resale. This one is an Amphibia that is the best of the lot. It's made for export and has a variation of a Vostok SS bracelet that I have not owned before. My question is about the RUSSIAN PRODUCT designation at 6 o'clock. Have not owned one like this before. Was this watch produced in the 1990's or 2000's?

W5.jpg W5A.jpg

2. The second question is this Amphibia with the very fancy gold colored dial. It seems that this is the type of dial one finds on a pocket watch. What do I have here?

W3.jpg W3A.jpg

3. Finally, there is this 3AKA3 Komandirski, with a 2409A movement. The seconds hands run, but the minute and hour hands do not move. Is this a problem with the seating of the hands or is something wrong with the movement?

W2.jpg W2A.jpg

Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
732 Posts
1. Just received a lot of 3 watches that I bought for resale. This one is an Amphibia that is the best of the lot. It's made for export and has a variation of a Vostok SS bracelet that I have not owned before. My question is about the RUSSIAN PRODUCT designation at 6 o'clock. Have not owned one like this before. Was this watch produced in the 1990's or 2000's?
I have never seen this before.

2. The second question is this Amphibia with the very fancy gold colored dial. It seems that this is the type of dial one finds on a pocket watch. What do I have here?
This dial is not original to the watch. It is from something like this:
594bb0_2021bb0c492e467f8dcce1de88f7523c.jpg

3. Finally, there is this 3AKA3 Komandirski, with a 2409A movement. The seconds hands run, but the minute and hour hands do not move. Is this a problem with the seating of the hands or is something wrong with the movement?

Appreciate your comments.
This is a 2234 movement, not a 2409. This is a common problem with Vostok movements, I have found. It may be solved by re-setting the hands, but if that doesn't work, it is almost certainly a problem the the cannon pinion. If the seconds hand is moving, it means the gear train as a whole is moving, and if both the hour and minutes hand are stopped, it is likely not a problem with the motion works.

To re-set a cannon pinion, you'll need to access the dial side of the movement, remove the cannon pinion, and tighten it, but not too much. In my experience, this is a gigantic pain and one of the least fun and satisfying repairs to attempt, but YMMV. You can probably get a watchmaker to do it fairly cheaply, but probably will still cost more than this watch is worth.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
OT

View attachment 13710459

Something just doesn't sound right here... there seems to be too much gap between dial and case, and you shouldn't be supposed to clearly see the stem.:think:

Unfortunately the only image I've been able to find for this watch is on the 1987 Consumer Goods catalog, which doesn't list model references; but the 1983-85 Vostok catalog shows 2 designs (models 76x & 89x) which look so similar to be almost indistinguishable.
Probably there is indeed a difference, and I wonder if this specific example had been recased (or redialed) mismatching the parts.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this is same as my dial. but mine appears to be "tarnished" and difficult to make out all the words.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never seen this before.

This dial is not original to the watch. It is from something like this:
View attachment 13710459

This is a 2234 movement, not a 2409. This is a common problem with Vostok movements, I have found. It may be solved by re-setting the hands, but if that doesn't work, it is almost certainly a problem the the cannon pinion. If the seconds hand is moving, it means the gear train as a whole is moving, and if both the hour and minutes hand are stopped, it is likely not a problem with the motion works.

To re-set a cannon pinion, you'll need to access the dial side of the movement, remove the cannon pinion, and tighten it, but not too much. In my experience, this is a gigantic pain and one of the least fun and satisfying repairs to attempt, but YMMV. You can probably get a watchmaker to do it fairly cheaply, but probably will still cost more than this watch is worth.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I do not have the tools or ability (79 year old hands) to play around with the movement. However, I have a cheap set of tools to pull hands. Con you explain or illustrate how to reset the hands? I would give that a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts