WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these three old watches that are in pretty rough shape. One is an Omega Seamaster, another is Endura, the last is Octo. Can anyone tell me if they are worth repairing to sell?

3-watches.jpg

·
Registered
602 Posts
As you probably suspected, the Omega may be. The other two - no way. I owned one of those Endura watches. it's a total piece of junk. 0 jewel unadjusted movement, iirc. I tossed mine in the trash, although looking at ebay perhaps I should have sold it for $50 or so.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
As you probably suspected, the Omega may be. The other two - no way. I owned one of those Endura watches. it's a total piece of junk. 0 jewel unadjusted movement, iirc. I tossed mine in the trash, although looking at ebay perhaps I should have sold it for $50 or so.

^
|
|
|
This

·
Registered
687 Posts
Honestly are any of them worth repairing to sell including the Omega? How much is that going to cost to put that into working sellable order? If they mean something to you then fix them up and wear them, if you thought you were going to buy some "Spares and repairs" Special off ebay spend a few quid getting a service and turn a profit Omega watches are all over the internet and hardly fetch big money, there are plenty of nice well looked after serviced Omega's out there if anyone wants one so people can pick and choose. A basic service of a watch these days is around £60 - £120 depending on what needs doing, then you need to clean up the dial, hands, new strap. How about you fix it up and wear it?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,056 Posts
How much did you figure on spending and what repairs were you going to undertake.

Which movement is in the Omega and how old is it. Unless it is a special early model I think at best you could break even given it's condition. Just servicing the movement could cost $400 with a competent shop. The dial and hands look pretty sad in that small pic.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
you can hand polish all three of these to pretty good condition first. just a bit of polywatch or toothpaste and a microfiber cloth for the crystal, and some polishing cloth on the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the advice! I will check locally on the omega. I appreciate the responses. Happy Weekend!!

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Its hard enough to break even on a new watch that is serviced before sale, but even the Omega you would lose big.

Only service these if you like them and will enjoy wearing it. If you are not in love with any of them and don't care to wear them, just throw them away, or do something creative with them, like a nice paperweight inside a lucite cube.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I wouldn't bother unless they have sentimental value. Put them up for sale and let them be someone else's folly...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hello! The Omega certainly seems the Best Bet...for what it's worth: in my area--Maine, USA--it's still possible to find an independent watch shop that should be able to put your Omega back in service for rather less less than an Omega Service Center...the local shop would ask if you'd accept generic parts--crystal / crown / stem /mainspring--and go from there...for me, it's entirely OK to go generic: you're not doing anything that cannot be undone ( thus allowing a future owner to restore to original...IF the part(s) are available...) and, after all, the watch should be worn, yes?, and if you cannot afford several hundred dollars @ Factory Service, and you're not 'hurting' the watch, what's to fuss about? ps: I've heard from more than one experienced watch repairer, that the 24J Omega Chronometer movements--in the Real World--are about as good as wristwatch movements get...easy to spend much more $$, very difficult to get a better watch...! Michael.

·
Premium Member
61,616 Posts
The Omega might be worth repairing but if you plan to sell it the repair cost has to be weighed against the sale value.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quick question. do they run at all? Do they keep reasonable time? Can you unscrew the back and see how bad the internals look? If the omega runs and keeps time to 1 minute a day I might consider having it serviced and throwing on a NATO strap. The other two you might sell to the watch repair guy to help offset the cost of the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts