WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had several threads here about getting a collection down to 3 watches.

I would argue that 4 is the "correct" minimum # of watches, not 3. Why? Because IMO there are 4 classifications of watch-wearing occasions, not 3 (and maintain the 1 watch/occasion rule):

- complete and total beater for manual labor, exercise, pool / beach, etc.
- hangout/weekender/"fun" watch
- M-F 9-5 work watch
- dress watch

Someone here posted that they lost their Rolex in Lake Michigan. And on my recent Florida trip, the Gulf of Mexico claimed my wedding ring... not my actual one, but an extra st. steel one I bought for "beater" occasions like this. These examples reinforce my point of having a separate "total beater" category, where you wear something in a situation where it can easily be lost/stolen/damaged/destroyed. Thus you would wisely wear something that can be easily replaced IMO.

What do the WIS' say? How do you get down to 3? Can you really afford to casually lose a more valuable watch, and replace it with aplomb?

---

Having said all that, my 4 are:

Beater

Casio G-Shock GA100B-4A

Weekender

VE Kosmodrom, on Pattini leather strap

Office

Bulova Accutron GMT "Sir Richard Branson" LE, on Bear Ti bracelet

Dress

Bulova "BVA" 96A108, on stock leather strap ... I have a Hamilton Intra-Matic that's more dressy, but the Bulova has a lot more character b-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
I think 4 makes sense to me.

That said, I have a hard time reconciling how to do this - since most of my watches have serious sentimental value. Were I to try and get to 4 regular wear watches, I'd basically only have two spots left. With a Doxa and Tudor already in the line up, and covering the casual field nicely, I'm left with a dress watch, and a watch for use while working out. I suppose a Nomos would fit into the first category more than nicely. And a Suunto, similar to the one I already own, would go in the second.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
so it's obviously 5 categories....

Total beater--i really dont care
Beach/pool/adventure- gotta look good and be tough
casual
work
dress

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I would still say three watches are possible depending on what your M-F 9-5 is. At the office where suit and tie are the norm, then your dress watch is your 9-5 watch. I'm impressed by anybody here who can maintain that 3 watch status quo though, especially if they come to this site on a near-daily basis.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Personally,I think it's gotta be 5:

"Expedition" type for land-based activity (hiking, shooting, etc.)
"Diver" for water-based activity (beach, boat, public restrooms)
"Casual" for after hours and the weekends
"Business" for the mundane 9-5 that supports everything else
"Formal Dress" for the boring crap that our wives drag us to

Sure, you could consolidate some of those categories I suppose... but my watch box has five spots and looks silly with only four watches in it, so I'll stick with my answer.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Agreed. 4 is the magic number. Mine:

Seiko Black monster - total beater

Rolex Explorer II (40mm) - Tough but elegant tool watch for weekends

Nomos Tangente - what I call the informal formal watch. I.e. can be worn for work but can also slum it with shirt n jeans - owing to it's retro bauhaus design.

JLC Reverso - The really formal one.

So in summary, one affordable tool watch, one higher end tool watch, one affordable dress watch and a higher end dress watch :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have more than 4 watches, but I'd say that 3 is the most 'round' collection. I'm not a big fan of basing a collection on type/category, but I'd always go for a dress watch, a casual watch and a sports watch (beater per se, but I don't beat any of my watches :p )

Can see the merits of 4 watches as the perfect sized collection though.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I always though G-Shocks existed in that ethereal world of our collections where they really don't figure into our counts. It's not in my watch box, so technically it can't count! ;)

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I think two could work:

1. Casio Waveceptor for golf, yard work, etc.
2. Omega Aqua Terra (1 black strap, 1 brown) for everything else

My magic number is still five (just because that's how many I want), but I could certainly make due with the two I've listed.

Edit: I agree with Sticky, actually. If I had a SS bracelet, I could do yard work and play golf with the AT. Heck, Rory plays with one...

·
Registered
806 Posts
As many as you can afford. No rhyme or reason as to why and what....I just want to experience it all.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Yes I think 4 is right.

Only caveat is that I would very rarely need to wear a true dress watch, so would replace the word dress with dressy.

Beater = G-Shock
Casual = Submariner
Office = DateJust
Dressy = tbc

In an ideal world I'd have a YG DD or a YG Daytona for the dressy watch.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Sacrilege, I know, but if you choose wisely you can buy one or two better watches that would serve you in casual/business or business/dress. Beater choice is less important as those are (for most of us) cheaper/disposable.

Quality > quantity.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I always think 5 is my magic number; diver/tool, pilot, chrono, gmt and dress. I got 3 of them now, time to get the chrono and dress.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
So sorry, but any 'correct' number is just a myth. Like the 'Best' watch or the 'Quartz vrs
Mechanical' argument, it only exists inside YOUR mind.

…. and that's what makes this hobby so much FUN !

I lived with an 18kt Rolex GMT for 20 years and thought life
was perfect. Then I bought an AP Huitieme Perpetual Calendar
Chronograph … then an AP Offshore perpetual … and on and on.

I'm living proof of that old quote … "A man with one watch knows the
correct time. A man with two is never sure."

Great weekend!

Kurt

1 - 20 of 54 Posts