WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how many of you guys knew about G-Shock's Guinness World Record of Heaviest Vehicle to Drive Over a Watch?

In a few days time, specifically October 30, it'll be 3 years since this record was set, when a 24.97 metric tons truck drove over the classic square DW5600E-1, and, of course, after such an abuse no damage was done to the watch, it didn't break (not even the strap) and it worked perfectly afterwards.

Herein some screenshots of the very moment the truck drove over the watch and Guinness website registered record.

I also decided to do some tests to corroborate the results.

And confirmed, no damage whatsoever.

I don't know about you guys, but since I learned about this I feel safer knowing that, if a truck runs over me, I'll may end up as human tartare, but my DW5600E-1 will be intact.
Tschüss

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phew @Daddy Pig, I hope you had all of the correct Health and Safety procedures in place, that looked pretty dangerous!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Indeed, all safety procedures were arranged a supervised by Jack and must say I'm impressed, for a 2 y/o he's quite rigorous. He spread toys all over the livingroom so no one will get close to the dangerous area.

·
Premium Member
8,452 Posts
I wonder how many of you guys knew about G-Shock's Guinness World Record of Heaviest Vehicle to Drive Over a Watch?

In a few days time, specifically October 30, it'll be 3 years since this record was set, when a 24.97 metric tons truck drove over the classic square DW5600E-1, and, of course, after such an abuse no damage was done to the watch, it didn't break (not even the strap) and it worked perfectly afterwards.

Herein some screenshots of the very moment the truck drove over the watch and Guinness website registered record.

View attachment 15505249
View attachment 15505250
View attachment 15505251

I also decided to do some tests to corroborate the results.

View attachment 15505255
View attachment 15505256
View attachment 15505257
And confirmed, no damage whatsoever.

View attachment 15505271

I don't know about you guys, but since I learned about this I feel safer knowing that, if a truck runs over me, I'll may end up as human tartare, but my DW5600E-1 will be intact.
Tschüss
I did not know that! But somehow, it does give me great comfort to know that if I'm ever run over by a 25 ton truck and end up as a splotch on the ground, my watch will STILL be okay! 😂 😂

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would say the dw5600 and the dw6600 since most seals / military wore that watch in the 1990’s - early 2000’s, shows the true durability of these gshocks.

Plus both watches are cleared for NASA space use as well.

I never really got into gshocks until recently. Loved watches and have been into watches for years - but G-Shock never really did anything for me until the last 5 years or so. Now I have 5 of them soon to be 7 :)

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
It they change to a tank with track not fitting any rubber pad running over G-shock over tarmac. I wonder what will be the result.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Interesting stuff and absolutely love your re-enactment!

I'm not sure if it would hold up to guinness world record testing standards, but Victorinox claim 64 tons.

"The I.N.O.X. has no problem withstanding a constant pressure of 8 tons. So a fire truck, a construction vehicle weighing 25 tons, or even a military tank weighing up to 64 tons all pose no real challenge for this watch."

·
Registered
598 Posts
i didnt know about that....

some time ago gshock UK did something similar, they taped a heavy machinery vehicle driving over the new gshock and nothing happened to it!!
I'm more likely to believe nothing happened to the heavy machinery than the watch.
However, no matter the weight of the machine, it's the eventual point load that acts on the case/crystal/strap attachments that will cause damage. Casios are designed to survive impacts and dissipate the forces with the flexible resin/PU shell, and that works only up to a point when it comes to continuous crushing force where a resin case will break and a steel case will deform.

(i know, i'm a smartass sometimes)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I had some concerns about the authenticity of that world record. But safe to say after your tests, I’m very confident no vehicle will ever crush my G-Shock. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting stuff and absolutely love your re-enactment!

I'm not sure if it would hold up to guinness world record testing standards, but Victorinox claim 64 tons.

"The I.N.O.X. has no problem withstanding a constant pressure of 8 tons. So a fire truck, a construction vehicle weighing 25 tons, or even a military tank weighing up to 64 tons all pose no real challenge for this watch."

I'll be glad to do a reenactment of the test with the Victorinox, sadly I don't have one... I won't get mad if you kindly provide me with one 😬.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd like to know how many tons of pressure the Casio actually withstood, considering the weight will be distributed over the other axles & wheels.
Also, if the truck was 24 ton gross weight, that will be with a load. Did the truck have a load on ?

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I'd like to know how many tons of pressure the Casio actually withstood, considering the weight will be distributed over the other axles & wheels.
Also, if the truck was 24 ton gross weight, that will be with a load. Did the truck have a load on ?
Less than 200 m of water will exert. So probably around 70 m worth of pressure. Pressure under truck times is not that high regardless of the weight and passenger car is even less due to softer tires. We discussed this thing several times. I posted numbers in these threads.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Less than 200 m of water will exert. So probably around 70 m worth of pressure. Pressure under truck times is not that high regardless of the weight and passenger car is even less due to softer tires. We discussed this thing several times. I posted numbers in these threads.
Yes.... there's also other considerations like which axle went over the watch and what air pressures were in those tyres.
These things are never as simple as just saying 'a 24 ton truck'
But i guess it was good advertising for Casio.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm more likely to believe nothing happened to the heavy machinery than the watch.
However, no matter the weight of the machine, it's the eventual point load that acts on the case/crystal/strap attachments that will cause damage. Casios are designed to survive impacts and dissipate the forces with the flexible resin/PU shell, and that works only up to a point when it comes to continuous crushing force where a resin case will break and a steel case will deform.

(i know, i'm a smartass sometimes)

check these two

the 2nd video is awesome haha

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Yes.... there's also other considerations like which axle went over the watch and what air pressures were in those tyres.
These things are never as simple as just saying 'a 24 ton truck'
But i guess it was good advertising for Casio.
Truck tires (semi trailer) apply pressure in contact area between 70-90 PSi. Over approximate 2.5 sq inch of square g-shock it gives 225lb or so (based on maximum value of 90 PSi). At 200m under water watch holding to 684 lb. You can add additional 10% of certified safety factor and who knows how much of designed one.
It's safe to assume truck do not pose much of the threat to slim profiled watch designed to withstand at least 3 times more abuse.
It's not exact engineering but it gives some reference point.
There is also point of watches designed to withstand pressure without any measurable changes in external dimensions to prevent leaks so watch is designed to hold much more force than you may think it is. That where 8 tons come in case of Inox.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts