WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings everyone,

I have owned mostly entry level dress watches below the $150 USD price tag. I want to buy a bit higher quality dress watch around the $300-$600 range (hopefully with a black dial). My main aim for a while has been the SARB033 which is absolutely gorgeous. However, two YouTube videos in one day this week about QC issues with Seiko SARB's now has me hesitating.

Two alternatives I have looked into is the Orient Star Standard-Date (carbon fiber dial), or a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. How would you compare these two?

Or should I go ahead and take a risk with the SARB033?

·
Premium Member
63,832 Posts
QC issues on the SARBs? I’d jump right in. As a second choice I’ve always has a pash for an Orient Star Standard.

·
Registered
872 Posts
you won't really get all that much better quality in that price jump.

Basically watch quality can be boiled down to 8 categories, where the watch quality is more or less the same in that price range(yes, there are a few exceptions, but ist a good general rule)

Tier 1: <$100

Tier 2: $100-$800

Tier 3: $800-$2000

Tier 4: $2000-$5000

Tier 5: $5000-$10000

Tier 6: $10,000-$25,000

Tier 7: $25,000-$75,000

Tier 8: $75,000+

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Greetings everyone,

I have owned mostly entry level dress watches below the $150 USD price tag. I want to buy a bit higher quality dress watch around the $300-$600 range (hopefully with a black dial). My main aim for a while has been the SARB033 which is absolutely gorgeous. However, two YouTube videos in day this week about QC issues with Seiko SARB's now has me hesitating.

Two alternatives I have looked into is the Orient Star Standard-Date (carbon fiber dial), or a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. How would you compare these two?

I have both the SARBs, and I like them. They are great for that type of watch that floats in between sporty and dressy, and it can work in either mode, but for me, I tend to wear them when it's a little dressier. Good value, but I don't think they're making them anymore, so if you're really smitten by the 033, pick it up. Not sure what quality issues there are - mine seems fine in terms of how it looks, and it keeps time quite accurately: on average -1.3 sec/day.

However in that price range, I'd go "entry level Swiss." One of the mistakes Seiko is making with its new pricing strategy is that they are now pricing themselves in this zone - entry-level Swiss - and whether it's true or not, perceptions about Swiss quality will be tough for them to beat. So if you've got $500 or so, you can't go wrong with a Hamilton, Tissot, low-end Oris, etc. I have a few Hamiltons and I love them.

Not sure what @erdini is talking about; those tiers seem arbitrary to me, but maybe he owns an AD and has handled stuff in those categories for himself or something. I certainly haven't, so there's that.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Greetings everyone,

I have owned mostly entry level dress watches below the $150 USD price tag. I want to buy a bit higher quality dress watch around the $300-$600 range (hopefully with a black dial). My main aim for a while has been the SARB033 which is absolutely gorgeous. However, two YouTube videos in day this week about QC issues with Seiko SARB's now has me hesitating.

If you don't mind quartz, consider some model by Frederique Constant.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just a little reminder to use term dress watch with caution, you can use dressy or formal or whatever but dress watch has no black dial mkay.
Yes yes you can wear a mickey mouse watch with a suit and the suit magically makes the watch to be a dress watch but lets not get to that please.
Orient Bambino sub seconds would be great entry level dress watch.

If we think about dressy or formal wear watches, with black dial, what else you're thinking because in the 300-600 range there are so many watches.
Sapphire glass?
Better than 30m water resistance?
See through caseback?
Quartz would be really slim compared to automatic that often is 10mm or thicker.
Dial size, the dressier it is the smaller it's going to be(often 36-38mm).

Oh yeah and leather strap is always more dressy than a steel bracelet.
No don't drag James Bond in to this, he has a licence to kill and wears a wetsuit under his tux, you have never killed anything bigger than a spider and speedos don't count as wetsuit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry yes, I should have been more specific!

I would prefer it to be automatic, sapphire crystal, see-through caseback, 35-40 mm dial size, and no preference for water resistance. Black dial is preferable, but a white, or cream dial would be nice as well.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
You won’t go wrong with Hamilton, Tissot, and Seiko. Just depends on your taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Greetings everyone,

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/seiko-sarb033-vs-orient-star-dv02002b-1374897.html

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

Basically watch quality can be boiled down to 8 categories, where the watch quality is more or less the same in that price range(yes, there are a few exceptions, but ist a good general rule)

I hope you didnt waste to much of your day coming up with those useless tiers.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Hamilton, Mido, Tissot, and SARB's are all a good starting point.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the Hamilton jazzmaster viewmatic and I love it. I bought the white face because just about every other watch I own has a black face and I wanted to try something different. I’m glad I did I really love the look of the white face with the silver indices and hands and the brown leather strap. Great dress watch.
E5EE17D8-E48C-4792-8160-268A2C665E49.jpeg

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

The above is just wrong

·
Registered
36,279 Posts