WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay! Here is part II of my series of posts re: servicing my 3056a movement, Assembly:

https://picasaweb.google.com/105341261190132348113/3056aAssembly?authkey=Gv1sRgCMvz_YWxg9XOBA

Dis-assembly can be found in my previous post here:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/3056a-quartz-service-part-i-dis-assembly-639683.html

A few notes:
  1. All bearings were oiled with a small amount of Moebius 9010/2 oil using a black oiler.
  2. Center wheel receiver was oiled as above.
  3. Second hand shaft was oiled very lightly before insertion into center wheel as above.
  4. Crown, setting, minute wheel, and hour wheel gears were oiled sparingly as above.
So, now it has been cleaned and oiled, a new battery installed, and I will keep it out where I can see it to monitor its performance over the nest several days. I hope I fixed it!

A final note which you can file under "two steps forward, one back", you will notice that the crown shaft broke for no apparent reason. So if I have fixed the problems in the power/gear assembly I will have to go back in, remove the end of the crown which is in the watch and install a new crown.

I hope I will be needing a crown in the next few days and I'd appreciate some help with locating one.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Schnurrp, excellent job again! I wonder if the battery pressure pad is necessary though. Are the hour markers lumed? If they are, then it's sort of funny to see that the hands aren't. Still, if the hands are meant to be lumed, a bit of Noctilumina would have got the watch very smart indeed.

I am not sure if a replacement stem can be found easily, you can send a PM to member GrAnd who's at Slava HQ; just a thought.

By the way: do you need to take the stem out to remove the movement holder? I might feel silly enough to want to take the movement holder out to clean off the last tiny bit of the goo.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Schnurrp, excellent job again! I wonder if the battery pressure pad is necessary though. Are the hour markers lumed? If they are, then it's sort of funny to see that the hands aren't. Still, if the hands are meant to be lumed, a bit of Noctilumina would have got the watch very smart indeed.

I am not sure if a replacement stem can be found easily, you can send a PM to member GrAnd who's at Slava HQ; just a thought.

By the way: do you need to take the stem out to remove the movement holder? I might feel silly enough to want to take the movement holder out to clean off the last tiny bit of the goo.
Thanks, Seele! Pad is probably not necessary. It was working fine without it before I put it back together. Hands are definitely the weak part of the watch. I may look for a non-worker that has a crown and some nice hands! If I lume them it will have to be on the outside but I guess that would be okay. I will sen a pm to GrAnd and see what he has to say. Also, I sold a parts watch to an individual (my memory being what it is I can't remember his name). I think that was a result of that long Slava quartz post 6 mos. or so ago. I'll go back and find it. Maybe he kept the crown.

As far as taking out the movement holder, the crown is not holding it in. You should be able to manipulate it out although it won't be easy if there's any gunk on it. From now on when I want to remove the crown on a watch like this I'm going to use my old "pry up the retainer plate with a screwdriver" technique instead of sliding it to the side. It's real hard to do although that's not why the crown broke.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Thanks Schnurrp, knowing I am a ham-fisted ten-thumbed klutz I would feel a bit apprehensive to take the stem out, unless GrAnd sends us half a dozen replacements!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Excellent, and a nice photo series. I've got about 10 dead quartzes in my "awaiting repair" drawer (which is now full - I've been weeding out the under-performers as a recatalogue stuff). Most of them probably just need new batteries, but a few will need a proper service - your photos will be useful!

On the subject of quartz watches - if you buy a bat detector (one of those things that lowers the pitch of ultrasonics to the point of audibility), you can listen to any quartz watch (analogue or digital) and hear if it's alive or not - the crystal oscillates at about 32kHz.

One other thing: on your disassembly photos, I noticed two large circuit pads with solder but nothing connected to them; they look as if they were designed to carry a trimmer, and I noted that there wasn't one visible on your movement.

P

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, and a nice photo series. I've got about 10 dead quartzes in my "awaiting repair" drawer (which is now full - I've been weeding out the under-performers as a recatalogue stuff). Most of them probably just need new batteries, but a few will need a proper service - your photos will be useful!

On the subject of quartz watches - if you buy a bat detector (one of those things that lowers the pitch of ultrasonics to the point of audibility), you can listen to any quartz watch (analogue or digital) and hear if it's alive or not - the crystal oscillates at about 32kHz.

One other thing: on your disassembly photos, I noticed two large circuit pads with solder but nothing connected to them; they look as if they were designed to carry a trimmer, and I noted that there wasn't one visible on your movement.

P
Thanks, Paul! I do sincerely hope it will be of some help. Any of those dead quartzes happen to be a 3056a? I need a crown! Although I have two alternatives: I can wear this watch when I'm in a hurry (turns out it is only 14 minutes fast but on the correct hour). Or I can remove the crown from my one other 3056a, and use it to set the time on this one. Crowns not nearly as important as on a mech. watch. I'll just need to get a little rubber stopper or something!

Sorry, Paul, I am woefully ignorant of things electronic and I don't know if a trimmer should have been there or not.

A bat detector, huh. Another special watchmaking tool that I'm going to have to buy!

Thanks for your interest!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'm sure about half of them are 3056 - not sure if there are any "a"s in there... but if I find myself with a spare crown, I'll let you know.

A bat detector is also good for listening to mechanical watches - they make much more noise in the ultrasonic range than in the audio range, and they sound really loud through the bat detector!

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Very nice work, Schnurrp - thank you for sharing.

Is the 3056A a development / relative of the 3056 caliber I've seen in some Chaika quartz watches?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Is the stem and crown integrated or is it a crown that is threaded onto a stem?

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My watch hasn't missed a beat! Usually by this time it had stopped and started a couple times so I guess the service was successful...yay!
With that in mind and needing a crown, I just bought this non-working slava quartz. I plan to use the crown shaft with my crown and I am considering re-luming these hands and my hour markers to match and installing in place of the rather plain ones now on it. I will also service the non-working movement and if I can get it going I will have a movement, case, case back, etc. to sell to anyone who needs a replacement, cheap. I'll let you know.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the result after the hand swap and re-lume. I don't like the way the markers turned out. I should have thinned the lume some to make it more self-leveling. May have to re-do at some point. Also some green pigment in the hands would probably help but I didn't want to deal with a color match with the bezel at this point.

Overall I would say not bad.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Paul, this is all very neat stuff! I get the shakes when I see so many little parts! As a matter of fact, somewhere in my 1 1/2 acre back yard lies a Slava that was my first attempt at a watch service. I've had the kids looking for it for about 8 months. I got a little angry. Don't judge me. :)

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Fact is, I may never find that Slava. The neighbor kid has mowed my lawn half a dozen times since the 'Night of the Slava Slinging.' :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Fact is, I may never find that Slava. The neighbor kid has mowed my lawn half a dozen times since the 'Night of the Slava Slinging.' :)
You still have grass growing on your lawn? Its been many months since i have cut the lawn, then again my lawn is not really grass has more weeds, moss, clover, wild onion, and something that looks like miniature lily pads.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
You still have grass growing on your lawn? Its been many months since i have cut the lawn, then again my lawn is not really grass has more weeds, moss, clover, wild onion, and something that looks like miniature lily pads.
Miniature Lilly Pads? They are know as 'Dollar Weed'---fertilize with Scott's Bonus S. I am a wealth of useless information! :)

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Sam, thanks for bringing the thread back to semi-on track...I felt bad about hijacking it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts