WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a SS cased Sturmanski. It had water contamination and was told it hacks. It was never opened before I got to it. Serial number is 62096.

I found this thread, https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/3133-hacking-function-319647.html

I thought this case had the hacking feature regardless of 3133 or 31659 movement. Obviously the previous owner was wrong or blew smoke up my ***. Either way it was a good deal.

Is this one of those strange Soviet/Russian mix-ups? (for lack of a better term)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Material property

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The lume on the hands and dial do not match. Looks a bit corroded on the inside. And that is a late 3133 movement, not a hacking 31659 movement. That case style was found with both movements.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lume on the hands and dial do not match. Looks a bit corroded on the inside. And that is a late 3133 movement, not a hacking 31659 movement. That case style was found with both movements.
Yes, it is corroded. I know the lumes don't match. The case back and screws show no signs of removal.

Do the lumes always match when new?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
This is definitely a cal. 3133 movement, but that doesn't mean it's not original to the watch. However, in my opinion, these chrongraphs were never produced with a blue second hand; only the chrome-plated versions sported the blue seconds hand.

Also, Soviet-era produced models of these chronographs were never produced with anything other than the white lume that easily crumbles with aging. Therefore, in order to restore the watch to something a little closer to it's original form, I would simply replace the existing lume with a patina coloured lume.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it was mine, comrade Dan, I would take out the movement and clean all the case parts and dial and crystal, then re-lume everything, including the hands, with an off-white color lume as suggested by Polmax. I wouldn't touch the movement if it is keeping good time, unless you are bored.

Not taking blood anymore?
Thank you Paul and everyone else for some insight. I'm always learning something new at f10.

The movement needs work from rust in the keyless works and perhaps a rusted canon pinion. It's an ongoing project with the 3133's I'm putting together. I have about 3 parts movements I can use. The good news is the balance and jewels are good and the chrono functions as it should.

I'm still taking blood and working in the lab. I had to do a name change because of Dr.s at various hospitals following me here and tracking me down to do service work for them. I wanted to change my user name before it got out of hand.

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
I'm still taking blood and working in the lab. I had to do a name change because of Dr.s at various hospitals following me here and tracking me down to do service work for them. I wanted to change my user name before it got out of hand.
Good watchmakers are hard to find. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts