WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted s few weeks back asking a similar question, but my budget has increased.

I wear my midsize seamaster literally everywhere and it's essentially become my beater watch, I would therefore like something a bit more... Smart? To rotate with for everso slightly more formal events (work, dinner, parties)

Not full blown dress watch but, a bit more classy, like it would go really well with my suit to work, or even just a shirt and chinos out for dinner.

Id really like it to have a date, and it must be 34 or 36mm as a maximum. (7inch wrists so I could go bigger but just really like small watches).

I'd be open to German or Swiss as preference but Japanese would be fine.

I usually like high WR but i can safely say id only be wearing my Seamaster for sportier stuff so this time round im fine with low WR.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you are ok with a handwound movement Nomos has lots of options. Club if you want something more on the sporty but still dressy side, tangente for the dress but still not out of place with jeans (I am wearing my tangente with cargo shorts right now), and the Ludwig or Orion for a full blown dress watch.

Otherwise you could pick up a Grand Seiko Quartz in that budget if you could go up to a 37mm size.

Stowa has the marine and Antea for around a grand, both with handwound or auto options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Stowa Antea or Marine? Antea comes in various sizes and can have a date. *Marine doesn't have a date.* Correction, it does have the option to include a date.

Both can come with small seconds and have hand wound or automatic options. Both have heat blued hands.

I've got a marine 36 hand wound without small seconds and it's one of my favorites.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
I haven’t owned one so I can’t vouch for it but if I had your specific set of requirements, I’d definitely give the Tudor Style ref 12300 a close look. I like the silver dial but black is lovely as well. I think the retail price is a few hundred above your budget but I see plenty of them grey market and pre-owned under $2k.

On the lower end of your budget, the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic 34mm is something to consider in silver, blue or black dial.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are ok with a handwound movement Nomos has lots of options. Club if you want something more on the sporty but still dressy side, tangente for the dress but still not out of place with jeans (I am wearing my tangente with cargo shorts right now), and the Ludwig or Orion for a full blown dress watch.

Otherwise you could pick up a Grand Seiko Quartz in that budget if you could go up to a 37mm size.

Stowa has the marine and Antea for around a grand, both with handwound or auto options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nomos has been on my radar a while! Though of all the options i wasnt sure which one was both small in case size and had a date function. Will have to have a look at the options you suggested! Thank you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stowa Antea or Marine? Antea comes in various sizes and can have a date. Marine doesn't have a date.

Both can come with small seconds and have hand wound or automatic options. Both have heat blued hands.

I've got a marine 36 hand wound without small seconds and it's one of my favorites.

It's a shame the marine doesn't have a date, i love those hands!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven’t owned one so I can’t vouch for it but if I had your specific set of requirements, I’d definitely give the Tudor Style ref 12300 a close look. I like the silver dial but black is lovely as well. I think the retail price is a few hundred above your budget but I see plenty of them grey market and pre-owned under $2k.

On the lower end of your budget, the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic 34mm is something to consider in silver, blue or black dial.
I was eyeing up the 1926 a while back and whilst i had heard of the Style line i hadn't looked into them a great deal.

I really like the silver dial and honestly, even though i normally go towards black dialed watches, I'd definitely pick silver on this watch.

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Rado Golden Horse

36mm, on the dressier side of your ask, but I figured it's different and worth a look.

Inviato dal mio GM1917 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
:eek:

Well that makes it a contender!

Just throwing out some more feedback. The blued hands look black to dark blue to bright blue depending on how the light hits them and the dial is polished so it's a little glossy, almost like enamel. The combination gives a nice dynamic look to such a simple, clean design. I don't wear it much because I've got young kids, but it's one of my favorites to wear when it won't be beat up playing with my kids.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Some excellent suggestions. My 2 faves at the higher end of that budget:

- Nomos. Either Nomos Club or I think the Nomos Orion can be had close that amount. If not a tangente.
- Grand Seiko quartz used.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Rado Golden Horse

36mm, on the dressier side of your ask, but I figured it's different and worth a look.

Inviato dal mio GM1917 utilizzando Tapatalk
I thought about this one too. The blue dial Golden Horse is beautiful. The 34mm version is very nice as well.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I think I'd pick the light dial out of those two.

I'm struggling with the date though? It's a gorgeous watch but something about the date being at 12 is making me look at it funny.

Ill check out some videos!

I agree re the date, they should at least have colour matched the date wheel on the back version, and ideally remote it altogether from both.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Was going to suggest nomos and stowa as obvious choices to look at. Looks like i have been beaten to the punch.

I have a Stowa marine 36 (with brushed case) and an Antea KS rose. The marine 36 makes for an extremely versatile wear on anything from some croc leather, to perlon and mesh. (if you want the case to be brushed, just ask while ordering).

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts