WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just made the plunge and purchased [my first] luxury watch, an Omega Speedmaster 3573.50.00, and though I believe I was dealing with a trust worthy retailer (and received the watch in what I was told to be brand new condition - protective stickers, new box(es), registration cards, hang tag, etc) the caseback has an unusual (ugly?!) etched mark/symbol, that I'm trying to determine if it was intentional (it appears next to the Omega logo)?

I've attached a photo and would love to hear if anyone has a similar marking, or any information to clarify.

photo.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention that yes, in the photo it looks A BIT like a marked up Omega logo, but to be certain, to the eye it's very unclear and messy looking. It differs from the font and etch type of the additional words on the case back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's normal - Omega's anti-counterfeit "globe" mark.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Anyone know when those were introduced?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Me think, in 2007.!
Interesting, I have a 771xxxxx Speedy Pro which I believe comes from around that time but without the globe.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
My Aqua Terra has this....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you sure its brand new? i may be totally wrong but i dont think omega would ship out a watch with the regulator off centre like that.
Sincere thanks to all who've commented (and a good laugh Perseus). I've since had a brief introduction to this great forum, and have read quite a bit about the Omega Globe.

Of course, Jordan, you're comment above has me understandably freaked out. What do you mean by "regulator?" Happy to provide additional photos if that's helpful.

I've coveted this watch for many, many years, and I'm thrilled to finally be wearing one, I'd hate to learn it's a fake.

·
Registered
420 Posts
One of the ways to adjust the rate (how slow or fast the watch runs) is by moving the pointer looking arm in your photo that is over the hash marks that look like this: \\\./// in your photo, the pointer is positioned one mark over from center which suggests that someone could have possibly adjusted it after it left the Omega factory. Omega and most watchmakers would adjust the watch leaving the pointer centered and adjusting through other means. I think the other poster was just surprised that Omega would adjust the rate on a new watch using that method. It's not wrong and it doesn't necessarily mean that your watch isn't new, just surprised is all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, there's so much to learn, thanks for the great explanation SectionEht.

I can confirm that the pointer is squarely in the middle of the indicator marks. in an effort to get a good shot of the Globe, I shot a bit off angle, making the pointer appear off center.

Day 3 and sincerely loving my Speedmaster and enjoying this forum. Very thankful for all the great knowledge, and everyone's willingness to educate.

[I still stand by the fact that the Globe is a distraction from an otherwise flawless design... maybe it looks great under a loop, but to the naked eye...]

·
Registered
222 Posts
LoL freaked me out when I pulled off the caseback sticker an hour ago too. They pulled the speedy pro out from the safe because I didn't want the "floor model".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The more I sit with the watch, the more I see (yes, I'm totally obsessing over it! :-d)

Quite frankly, as a new enthusiast, I'd simply like to know as much about the watch as possible.

There's a red dot at the bottom of the case back (behind the 6pm position, where the case back meets the bracelet)? Thoughts?

Also, I see folks referring to their bracelet by number. Mine is stamped with '1998/849' is this the model number to reference?

Lastly, does the serial number tell you anything? It's manufacture period? 77792XXX

Continued thanks for guiding a noob.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The red dot is put there by Omega to signify that it was factory sealed and new. Omega will switch to a blue dot if it needs to be opened by them again. It does tend to come off on its own in time so don't be surprised if it goes missing one day. I'll let someone more knowledgeable about bracelets and serial numbers chime in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts