WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I'm very interested in purchasing a Datejust -- still undecided between jubilee bracelet or oyster (opinions, please!)

However, my main question is, do you think a 36mm style would be too small for a 7in wrist? I typically wear 40mm+, though I've heard the 41mm version wears very large. Any example photos from anyone with a similar sized wrist?

·
Registered
19,230 Posts
36mm on 6.5" wrist, you get the picture for 7" wrist

·
Registered
18,516 Posts
Okay, this is how it goes. You will find the DJ36 small if you try them back to back in the store.

I have a 7.5” wrist and I tried a DJ36 on its own last year. I liked it enough to want to buy it but held on for a while to see if I could try on a 41.

When my AD had a DJ41, I went in to try them back to back and I was like... nah, DJ36 is small. Even my AD thought so too. So DJ41 it shall be. That’s my story.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
My views are roughly the same as Bro Dog, here.

Basically, at 7.5", I'd say that the 36 would be a hair too small. At 7.25" (which is what my wrist size is), it's a push-em in terms of what looks better. At 7", I would think that the 36 would fit quite nice and fill in the wrist.

I'd really recommending trying them both on back-to-back like Dog recommends.

Reactions: 5959HH

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’ll provide my logic for my 36mm datejust.

1. My current watch rotation includes a Tudor eta BBN (diver and daily), Omega Speedy Pro (Chrono), and 6 digit ExpII (Field/GMT) as well as a beater SKX007, G shock, Apple Series 4 and Sistem51

2. All watches are sport watches on stainless steel (although the BBN is usually on the Tudor NATO and the speedy is either on NATO or Leather strap) and are relatively large 41-42mm (the ExpII wears largest)

3. I wanted to add a dress watch and something smaller. I picked up the Datejust at a very reasonable price (less than 3k) and there are many others available for a great price. It’s 53 years old and within COSC

4. It’s as classic as any Rolex and remains (visually) unchanged

5. It’s my only watch with gold and IMO the only Rolex that looks good in TT

It provides such a dramatic shift in look and feel and was an absolute steal. It’s aged to perfection and has a very romantic, nostalgic look that’s hard to come by. They are very hard to pin down with box and paper, but as long as you can verify it’s genuine from a local AD this is a watch you could hang on to for a very long time. I would go so far as to call mine a forever watch (although I recognize we are still very much in the honeymoon stage)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
428 Posts
It really depends on what you're used to ... I have a 7"/18cm wrist and I barely wear my Datejust 16234 unfortunately. It also depends on your body size, when you're more sporty it looks bit small.

BUT it's such a gorgeous piece and it looks so classy on leather, like on our new textured calfskin leather- or perlon strap (perfect for summer) for example. I was wearing this combination for several days now, until I ran out of blue shirts and sweaters :D Now I'm back to 40 mm GMT - But the Datejust is a real strap monster and very versatile.

Rolex Datejust Textured Calfskin Watchbandit.jpg

rolex_datejust_16234_perlon_grey_watchbandit_2.jpg

Reactions: mattya56

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When my AD had a DJ41, I went in to try them back to back and I was like... nah, DJ36 is small. Even my AD thought so too. So DJ41 it shall be. That’s my story.

Thanks all! Really appreciate the responses.
I have a feeling the same thing will happen to me ... as an example, I have a 41mm longines hudroconquest only because when I tried on the 39mm, it felt a little small. After a few weeks with the 41mm, it felt too big (on the steel bracelet), especially with the unnecessary weight — and then going back to the 39mm, i realized it would have been perfect.

Speaking of 39mm, I may also look into an oyster perpetual — though I do prefer the history of the datejust

·
Registered
562 Posts
A lot has to do with your body shape. Keeping that in mind, anyone under 6’4” 250lbs looks great with a 36mm watch.

Let it be known, I’m from the 90s. I’m not sure what the kids are wearing these days - probably some sort of Apple watch and torn blue jeans.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks all! Really appreciate the responses.
I have a feeling the same thing will happen to me ... as an example, I have a 41mm longines hudroconquest only because when I tried on the 39mm, it felt a little small. After a few weeks with the 41mm, it felt too big (on the steel bracelet), especially with the unnecessary weight — and then going back to the 39mm, i realized it would have been perfect.

Speaking of 39mm, I may also look into an oyster perpetual — though I do prefer the history of the datejust
I've read the DJ41 is really a 39mm. However, as many have said we all come in different shapes and sizes. Lug to lug is a very important factor. Recommend if you're able to try on both a 36 and 41 and see what sings to you. I have a 36 but my wrist is smaller than yours, 6.25inches.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's too small it's just the purists demand that until they reach their ultimate goal of something like 27.8mm they will continue to proclaim the greatness of these ever shrinking watches .... come on tell the truth you purists!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 69 Posts