WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, I have a 7.25 in wrist and have found my tastes moving a bit away from the large watch trend back towards smaller sizes. I love the look and history or the Rolex datejust but always thought it would be too small. After much thought and trying on watches I purchased this vintage DJ from the 1980's. I am really comfortable with how it looks size wise on my wrist and so glad I pulled the trigger. Love my 40mm sub c (which wears larger) but this one is great with a suit. If any of you are struggling with the same decision I encourage you to try some smaller watches and see how they look. I believe you can enjoy both large and small. Some pics attached. Sorry for the quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
A lovely watch. That's smaller on your wrist than I'd personally want in any of my own watches, but as long as you're happy with it then it's great. Plus, the fluted bezel can be blingy, so it's definitely better to go on the smaller side to avoid having a disco ball on your wrist.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That fills out your wrist nicely. I guess it varies from watch to watch. My 39mm Omega looks quite small on my wrist, which is also 7.25 inches but is flat.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Free your mind and your wrist will follow.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That DJ bezel pushes the watch out a bit visually, at least I think that's what's happening in those 1970s pics, squinting a bit I can say "Looks good OP"

But frankly my 36mm Explorer doesn't have that bezel and doesn't look oversmall either...I won't go smaller than 36, but 36 is fine. My JLC Memovox is 36mm too for that matter, looks great.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Couldn't agree more.

I have two Rolex day/dates, one OP and one Oysterquartz. The case on each is decidedly different, but neither looks small on my 7.5 in. wrist. To me it's about how the watch wears on the wrist. The oyster cases, be they the OP or the quartz version, are very well proportioned. The new 42mm DJ II just doesn't look as good. I think in time we will see the DJ II the same way we see "New Coke" today. It sounded good at the time, but probably should have been rethought before they came to market.

Reactions: scooby

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I think that looks great on you. Not too small at all. It's all what you're used to. I've had em big and small, but if I had to choose I'd take small. I'm in the middle these days at 38-40mm being the average, but I wear 36 and 48mm watches too. Love em all. The smaller ones are definitely more comfortable!

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
I think the DJ looks great on the OP's wrist. Personally, I love seeing some bracelet on the wrist rather than watch head dominating all the real estate.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
HI all, I have a 7.25 in wrist and have found my tastes moving a bit away from the large watch trend back towards smaller sizes. I love the look and history or the Rolex datejust but always thought it would be too small. After much thought and trying on watches I purchased this vintage DJ from the 1980's. I am really comfortable with how it looks size wise on my wrist and so glad I pulled the trigger. Love my 40mm sub c (which wears larger) but this one is great with a suit. If any of you are struggling with the same decision I encourage you to try some smaller watches and see how they look. I believe you can enjoy both large and small. Some pics attached. Sorry for the quality.
Congrats! Great looking watch, got mine this morning. I've got the same 7.25 wrist. I think the proportions with the 20mm lugs are perfection. Enjoy!

image.jpeg

·
Registered
880 Posts
I wish I could wear a classic DJ since the new DJ II looks too modern / douchey-looking to me. however, I think 36 mm would only look good on people with 7 or maybe 7.5 inches wrist or below. I have an 8.25 inches wrist / 8.5 inches wrist in the summer and 36 mm DJ looked like a very tiny third nipple on my wrist.

·
Premium Member
61,485 Posts
I find that the only time a smaller watch can actually look small is when I first strap one on after wearing big divers for several days. The feeling is purely temporary and soon goes away.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Agree completely with OP, and also that you don't need the fluted bezel to have it work. My wrist runs 7.5+, although it's more round than flat in shape. IMO, these don't look overly large, but they don't look wrong either. Understandable why these sizes were so popular for so long.

20150731_wruw.jpg

20150206_075111.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts