WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ok I ran the chrono accidentally when I left town over the weekend. Fully wound around 7pm Friday evening. Came home 5pm Sunday and the watch was dead. Didn’t look at the hour on the chrono when it stopped though (my mistake), reset the chrono and it ran again. It dies again and again in less than thirty minutes so far. Can it be that the power reserve is just out? Is it supposed to stop and not run again if this is the case?

Just did a full wind and have been running it for 30 minutes so far. Will report back ASAP.

How much power reserve does this have with Chrono running?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Known issue with some 3861. Needs to go to service. Sent mine, came back working perfectly 2 weeks later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine ran for around 57 hours with the chrono running and then another 7 hours afar I stopped the chrono
Wow 57 hours with chrono running! I always thought reserve would be shorter with chrono running. When did you acquire your 3861?

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as I know the power reserve of the 3861 is 50h. This number is without the chronograph running, so simply running the watch with the chronograph running and finding it had stopped before the 50h mark is not an indication of the 3861 issue. Of course, if the watch had stopped after 30min, it would be an issue, but since you did not look at the hour hand of the chronograph the information you provide is to little to state if you have an issue or not. Your watch may had run all the way from 7pm Friday, to 4pm Sunday which totals in about 45h, and that is probably well within the spec…

Archer posted this on another forum:

There is a point that is reached when the watch runs long enough, that the torque being delivered by the spring drops off to a point where it can no longer keep the watch running, even though there is still wind left in the mainspring. The point will vary depending on the load side of the equation, so if the watch is running with the chronograph on, then the point at which it stops will happen sooner than with the chronograph off. So if you wind the watch and let it run down with the chronograph running, it will stop, but as soon as you turn the chronograph off, the extra load is removed, and this is enough to get it running again.

So if any of you want to prove this, fully wind your chronograph, set the time, and lay it dial up and let it run down. Note how long it runs and this is test 1.

For test 2, repeat the same thing but this time turn the chronograph on, let it run down until it stops, and note how long it runs. Then turn the chronograph off, which will start the watch ticking, and without winding it again, let it run down and note how many hours it runs. Add the time with the chronograph on to the chronograph off in this test, and it should equal the time it ran for the whole time the chronograph was off in test 1.
In other words, it is completely normal that the watch stops earlier with the chronograph running, and it will also continue to run for several hours if you stop the chronograph function.

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,044 Posts
Two days running chrono and the watch stopped?
Big, frightening problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts