WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

39.5mm Planet Ocean VS 42mm Seamaster 300 Sedna / Steel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between these two watches. I have an average size wrist, I tend to lean toward smaller 36-40mm watches. As far as higher-end watches, I have a gold Rolex Date Just that is my daily wearer for work / formal. We just purchased a boat so naturally, I want to add my first diver to the collection. I love the planet ocean's steel bracelet, but I'm not a fan of the Seamaster's 5-link bracelet. The price of the watches are comparable with the Seamaster on a rubber strap. I actually do like the rubber strap on the Seamaster. I like the hands on the planet ocean, but the Seamaster and 2 tone steel / Sedna is beautiful. I tried on the Seamaster and I love the thickness, they did not have a 39.5mm Planet Ocean, but I'm concerned it will be too bulky, however the 39.9mm is a bit less thicker than their older brothers. Both watches do the job I will intend to use them for, no diving, but will be by companion when wear boating, swimming, spending time at a lakeshore restaurant. Input is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Both are good choices. I believe the lug to lug on the Seamaster 300m is 50mm. If you tried it on and it worked for you I would go with that, although personally I prefer the black dial/sedna gold combo. I have the older generation 42mm Planet Ocean 2201.50 and that is about the thickest and heaviest I would go for a watch. The thickness of the 39.5mm Planet Ocean combined with its short lug to lug (44.8mm) would have me concerned that it will feel top heavy. Definitely try it on if you can. Long story short I would go with the Seamaster 300m if it fits your wrist or consider the 42mm 2201.50 Planet Ocean pre-owned. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Both are good choices. I believe the lug to lug on the Seamaster 300m is 50mm. If you tried it on and it worked for you I would go with that, although personally I prefer the black dial/sedna gold combo. I have the older generation 42mm Planet Ocean 2201.50 and that is about the thickest and heaviest I would go for a watch. The thickness of the 39.5mm Planet Ocean combined with its short lug to lug (14.4mm) would have me concerned that it will feel top heavy. Definitely try it on if you can. Long story short I would go with the Seamaster 300m if it fits your wrist or consider the 42mm 2201.50 Planet Ocean pre-owned. Good luck!
+1. I thinking about getting the black/Sedna gold as a present for my dad, but regardless of blue or black, I think they're some of the best looking Omegas. I think it'd have better weight distribution on wrist and be more versatile than the PO, but having never handled the <40mm PO I could be way off base.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The PO Sedna is beautiful but it simply doesn't instantly speak to me in the way the Seamaster does. I don't know how to explain it but I am drawn to the Seamaster.

I'd say congrats on the boat but after owning a few I understand the saying "there are two great days with a boat. The day you buy her, and the day you sell her." what did you get?

·
Registered
Seikosha
992 Posts
no wrong choice here... both beautiful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PO Sedna is beautiful but it simply doesn't instantly speak to me in the way the Seamaster does. I don't know how to explain it but I am drawn to the Seamaster.

I'd say congrats on the boat but after owning a few I understand the saying "there are two great days with a boat. The day you buy her, and the day you sell her." what did you get?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your opinions. I'm leaning toward the seamaster. We bought a 2015 KeyWest 203FS. My father inlaw is a boater and he too told me to open up the check book haha. We live in Buffalo NY so now we will be patiently waiting till spring.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
My preference would be the PO, even though the Seamaster is thinner I like the compactness of the 39.5.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Both great options. It seems like the PO wears very thick.

I think the Sedna gold has something special about it. I’d go for that if you can pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would go Planet Ocean. 39.5 is the perfect size imo. And it's their big diver, so a little thickness isn't that bad. Great bracelet and clasp.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Planet Ocean will wear thicker, but at 39.5mm it will wear shorter in horizontal stance, L2L is 44-45mm on those. Still 14mm thick however. Quick adjust on the bracelet helps things fit nicely and soon you'd forget about a lot of the fitment worries. SMP300 obviously a classic and not going to lose there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The 300 looks better. Very classy and elegant yet still sporty.

Oh man “just bought a boat so I need a diver”

I envy you man. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts