WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
181 - 200 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I should know better that C-faux vintage lume is not viable. Are the 42mm OVM's better. No one says much about lume on OVM's and I assumed they had it mastered sufficiently. I don't expect Seiko, but would like to get 7 hrs out of it at least.

Trust you are doing well BTW --

RD
My OVM Mk 1 had terrible lume compared to any other diver I've owned (seiko, orient, tudor, rolex).

Was hoping they'd fix it in later generations but doesn't seem to be the case. Such a shame, it was the weakest aspect of a great watch (poor dial printing was the other one).

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Huh. Guess it didn't bother the hundreds of owners that loved that watch so much. Well, I'll have to see. I should have held firm after all these years and passed on this too. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Mine earlier today. I love the size in that it's more true to the original. The 42's wore too big for me. As far as the lume comments, mine is great...not Seiko great, but it holds its own. The only complaint I have is the back play in the bezel. It lines up perfectly true to 12 tho.
IMG_2781.jpg

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Huh. Guess it didn't bother the hundreds of owners that loved that watch so much. Well, I'll have to see. I should have held firm after all these years and passed on this too. Thanks!
Well even though my 42mm OVM did not have lume like a Seiko Monster, I still liked the watch a lot (the Speedy doesn't have the best lume and I still love it). Can't wait for the 39mm OVM to arrive!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well even though my 42mm OVM did not have lume like a Seiko Monster, I still liked the watch a lot (the Speedy doesn't have the best lume and I still love it). Can't wait for the 39mm OVM to arrive!

I agree completely with this sentiment - I didn't buy this watch on a lume hunt, I have my Seikos for that. This watch fills a completely different niche for my watch obsession. Besides, lume does not last forever anyway and one day when many of my kept watches are old and collectors their lume will be weak as well, just like an old 1970's era rolex that this one is modeled after. I mean, even James Bond had to use a lighter to read his watch once :-db-)

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
^ Definitely works on a vintage tropic style strap!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Looks great!

Meanwhile, I'm desperately checking my email for a shipping confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
So here's my little, quick and dirty review of this OVM 39mm, with comparison with other watches I have.

photo_2017-12-16_16-13-22.jpg

The first striking thing is how small it is. In a good sense, as I've never really understood the hype with overly sized watches. I seems like the larger a watch is, the more it wants to be seen and noticed, and I'd rather not want to be noticed when that's possible. So here I am with one of the smallest diver I own.

photo_2017-12-16_16-13-13.jpg

And you know what? I looks and feels GREAT. This is classy and sporty to me, best of both worlds. The l2l length is perfect, and fits my punny 6.75" wonderfully (I think).

photo_2017-12-16_16-13-26.jpg

Sure, the lugs are a little flat but at this size it works really nicely. I'd have preferred Steinhart revisited their design to adopt something less flat, but oh well, it's not bad as it is.

The sapphire dome crystal is nice and doesn't protrude too much from the bezel. Here with the Tisell Submersible (bottom) and the Mxi LE (middle):

photo_2017-12-16_16-12-36.jpg

Of course the Maxi LE and its beautiful hesalite crystal pays a much higher respect to the original 5517, but its profile takes a long time to get used to. Lots of distorsion and height added. It's better appreciated in front of it than from the sides, if that ever means anything.

photo_2017-12-16_16-13-08.jpg

One thing I miss from the hesalite cristal is the slight "padding" it adds around the dial. The sapphire of the 39mm entirely suppresses it and makes it much more modern, but I liked the old school style of the maxi LE. The proportions as well, as others noticed before in this thread.

As for the lume, here are a few comparison shots with the Maxi LE:

photo_2017-12-16_16-14-06.jpg

They're basically the same. They won't last all night, but most of it. Other watches have better lume for sure, but it's okay to me. Below is a lume comparison for the NTH Santa Cruz, the Maxi LE, the 39mm OVM and the Tisell Submersible:

photo_2017-12-16_16-13-37.jpg
photo_2017-12-16_16-14-10.jpg

FWIW in my tests the Submersible wins the match here.

So all in all I'm pretty much happy with my purchase, but I won't sell the Maxi LE I think, as it's a true stunner in many aspects, most notably as it approaches the look and feel of the original very nicely, and the proportions are better.

The 39mm OVM is a sweet watch, the new 20/16 bracelet is an improvement over all the previous bracelets from Steinhart I've had, looks very good and is an amazing value for the price I paid.

photo_2017-12-16_16-13-17.jpg

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
So here's my little, quick and dirty review of this OVM 39mm, with comparison with other watches I have.

View attachment 12736129

The first striking thing is how small it is. In a good sense, as I've never really understood the hype with overly sized watches. I seems like the larger a watch is, the more it wants to be seen and noticed, and I'd rather not want to be noticed when that's possible. So here I am with one of the smallest diver I own.

View attachment 12736133

And you know what? I looks and feels GREAT. This is classy and sporty to me, best of both worlds. The l2l length is perfect, and fits my punny 6.75" wonderfully (I think).

View attachment 12736139

Sure, the lugs are a little flat but at this size it works really nicely. I'd have preferred Steinhart revisited their design to adopt something less flat, but oh well, it's not bad as it is.

The sapphire dome crystal is nice and doesn't protrude too much from the bezel. Here with the Tisell Submersible (bottom) and the Mxi LE (middle):

View attachment 12736155

Of course the Maxi LE and its beautiful hesalite crystal pays a much higher respect to the original 5517, but its profile takes a long time to get used to. Lots of distorsion and height added. It's better appreciated in front of it than from the sides, if that ever means anything.

View attachment 12736195

One thing I miss from the hesalite cristal is the slight "padding" it adds around the dial. The sapphire of the 39mm entirely suppresses it and makes it much more modern, but I liked the old school style of the maxi LE. The proportions as well, as others noticed before in this thread.

As for the lume, here are a few comparison shots with the Maxi LE:

View attachment 12736187

They're basically the same. They won't last all night, but most of it. Other watches have better lume for sure, but it's okay to me. Below is a lume comparison for the NTH Santa Cruz, the Maxi LE, the 39mm OVM and the Tisell Submersible:

View attachment 12736213
View attachment 12736217

FWIW in my tests the Submersible wins the match here.

So all in all I'm pretty much happy with my purchase, but I won't sell the Maxi LE I think, as it's a true stunner in many aspects, most notably as it approaches the look and feel of the original very nicely, and the proportions are better.

The 39mm OVM is a sweet watch, the new 20/16 bracelet is an improvement over all the previous bracelets from Steinhart I've had, looks very good and is an amazing value for the price I paid.

View attachment 12736261
Very good review, especially with comparative shots. |>

If I could, I would like to give 100 likes. :-!

Reactions: n1k0
181 - 200 of 535 Posts