WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

201 - 220 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
This picture looks like the bezel on the 39 is a bit less dominant than on the 42. Speaking about the grip knurling and not the insert, the 39 seems a bit thinner and less aggressive and to me better looking
Yes, the bezel on the 39 is thinner and harder to grasp, but it works. There's some one minute play backward but once it's set on a minute mark it doesn't move anymore. Had a Piranah like this, at first it bothered me but you get used to that.

Last, it's polished but the original milsubs were shipped with the bezel polished initially AFAICR... It adds a touch of class nonetheless anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, the bezel on the 39 is thinner and harder to grasp, but it works. There's some one minute play backward but once it's set on a minute mark it doesn't move anymore. Had a Piranah like this, at first it bothered me but you get used to that.

Last, it's polished but the original milsubs were shipped with the bezel polished initially AFAICR... It adds a touch of class nonetheless anyway.
The way I wear a watch and the things I do it will all be scuffed and satin finish pretty quickly anyway. I think the 5517 also had a polished bezel as well, at least I read that somewhere.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The way I wear a watch and the things I do it will all be scuffed and satin finish pretty quickly anyway. I think the 5517 also had a polished bezel as well, at least I read that somewhere.
I purchased the 39 knowing full well it had a polished bezel insert and I was fine with it. After a couple of days though I decided I much preferred the bezel on my maxi and therefore I brushed it myself to match the case and bracelet. Looks factory and suits the military vibe in my opinion

·
Registered
73 Posts
^ Looks great. I have read so many comments on the proportions being better on the 42, but that looks great and I cant tell where those comments are coming from. It is the epitome of simplicity and function. I love no date to muck things up, clear large hands and indices to see, no bevel on sapphire to cause angle distortion. Just great form following function.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
hope to get mine tomorrow

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I was a little put off by the large hands at first, but I keep coming back to this thread and decided I'm getting one.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
How is the lume on these?
Ha ha -- no, no, no -- LOL -- your answer lies amongst the pages in this post. I posed the same question & after many responses from a variety of experience, I got my answer ;-).

EDIT: Shipping notice received!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of a OVM on a stone colored canvas strap? I'm considering placing an order for this one from Clockwork Synergy, I think the color would work nicely with the vintage lume.
cordura-wrist-stone.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone, I was looking to order a 39mm ocean 1 off the steinhart website, and was wondering how much duties end up being to Canada or the US? Thanks

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Hi everyone, I was looking to order a 39mm ocean 1 off the steinhart website, and was wondering how much duties end up being to Canada or the US? Thanks
Two points. 39mm OVM is exclusive to Gnomon in Asia. And there is no US Customs duty on watches under $800USD.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I bought the 42mm and a week later find out there's a 39mm..
result:
That 39 is just not for me, it looks very much different, but I am not talking about size, but something else, cant quite put my finger on it! I think on 39 the hour indexes are further away from the center if that makes sense, it just not that balanced. Maybe the bezel on 39 is more constant and thats makes the whole package look different.

EDIT 1 : Excellent photo by the way, love the lighting and sharp picture.
EDIT 2 : Sporting my MK3 :)

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I cancelled my 39mm OVM order. I already have the ETA Armida A9. Always wanted a 39mm OVM, but compared the A9 and the pictures of the OVM and I like the proportions of the indices and hands on the A9 more than on the OVM, although I like the bezel insert and vintage lume on the OVM. Couldn't justify keeping both, so I'm sticking with the A9. If I didn't already have the A9, I probably would have tried the OVM39 first though.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
That 39 is just not for me, it looks very much different, but I am not talking about size, but something else, cant quite put my finger on it!
i know what you mean. Sam-e does have a nice side by side. when i look at the 39mm, it looks like it's scrunching its shoulders in to make itself look smaller, like it's going through a tight door. (if that makes any sense at all).

i think the bezel has a lot to do with it. its teeth are more subdued, making it look a little less aggressive than the 42mm.

201 - 220 of 535 Posts