WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
521 - 535 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I love mine. I picked it up back in January.

One thing I have noticed is the winding action has become a bit stiff (tight?). It's not so free and easy to wind. The resistance feels heavier than I recall when new. Anyone else experience this?
Maybe you are winding it when you don’t need to, when the PR is fully charged.
Let it run out then wind it and see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
36,319 Posts

One thing I have noticed is the winding action has become a bit stiff (tight?). It's not so free and easy to wind. The resistance feels heavier than I recall when new. Anyone else experience this?
Do not handwind an ETA-2824 more than just to get it ticking, then strap it on and let the rotor do the winding.

Any questions, do a search of WUS for threads about this issue.

·
Premium Member
7,621 Posts

Do not handwind an ETA-2824 more than just to get it ticking, then strap it on and let the rotor do the winding.

Any questions, do a search of WUS for threads about this issue.
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I don't hand wind any of my ETAs these days.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I don't hand wind any of my ETAs these days.
Some other ETA caliber like the 2804 are ok to handcrank, designed to handle daily handwinding, and the 2892/2893 should be ok as well, even though they are automatics.

It is the 2824 that wears out when heavily handwound.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts

Were I to pick a nit, this is it. Not that I'm hand winding much. The crown is very tight and hard to screw down. The machining of the crown is also very crisp. It hurts my little fingertippies. The bezel was tight as many have reported. I've worked the hell out of that and it has loosened up nicely. It's hard to work the crown though. Those are my only gripes. Overall, it's a wonderful watch and a real bargain. My other watches have been waiting patiently. I haven't taken it off except to shower for the last month.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Were I to pick a nit, this is it. Not that I'm hand winding much. The crown is very tight and hard to screw down. The machining of the crown is also very crisp. It hurts my little fingertippies. The bezel was tight as many have reported. I've worked the hell out of that and it has loosened up nicely. It's hard to work the crown though. Those are my only gripes. Overall, it's a wonderful watch and a real bargain. My other watches have been waiting patiently. I haven't taken it off except to shower for the last month.
After dealing with an Orient Ray 2 crown, this one (and my Ocean 1) are like butter!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting. The bezel on mine has no back play and is actually on the stiff side. And the lume ROCKS on mine. Great watch, wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I don't feel my crown has enough thread engagement. It's only 1.5 turns, and the stiffness pushing it back in makes it hard to get the threads started. I think it's going to strip eventually. Gnomon wanted nothing to do with it when I asked them, said it was within spec. Oh well, my local watchmaker said it would be an easy fix if I strip it. The bezel... mine has that back play. Mine is #19, so these may be issues that have been fixed. I don't really care about any of it though, I'm in love with how it looks and it's chronometer accurate when I wear it on consecutive days.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I don't feel my crown has enough thread engagement. It's only 1.5 turns, and the stiffness pushing it back in makes it hard to get the threads started. I think it's going to strip eventually. Gnomon wanted nothing to do with it when I asked them, said it was within spec. Oh well, my local watchmaker said it would be an easy fix if I strip it. The bezel... mine has that back play. Mine is #19, so these may be issues that have been fixed. I don't really care about any of it though, I'm in love with how it looks and it's chronometer accurate when I wear it on consecutive days.
To me, #19 will always mean Johnny Unitas. The best and classiest quarterback ever. What a great number to have. I mean, they even named a watch movement after him.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just took mine off the bracelet for the first time and switched to a khaki ballistic nylon. Wow. This thing was made to be on a military strap. True Mil Sub style. Pictures to come when I have some good natural light.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is a two piece Zulu style strap which I have shortened a bit for my 6.5+ inch wrist. For me I prefer the two piece. No extra bulk, no added height and because I cut it down there is nothing to feed back in. To cut it all you need is a scissors, a quarter, and a lighter. Cheers.

9GIVWmd.jpg

QHlDkxe.jpg

q0ODFjW.jpg

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
521 - 535 of 535 Posts