WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
141 - 160 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Compared to the two other Steinharts I’ve had, this one’s clasp feels much better. Turning the bezel feels good and doesn’t sound hollow like some people reported on the ocean 1 39s. The only thing wrong with this watch is the Steinhart logo on the crown is upside down when the crown is screwed in all the way. Besides that one thing, I really like this watch. I also like how the crystal sticks out a hair from the bezel insert. The domed crystal is more noticeable than the ones on the OVM and OVR MKIIIs I had.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I also ordered mine that evening, and we are in same time zone as well - I am in Oklahoma. It seems people are getting notifications after shipment or not at all with this release.
I never received a confirmation email from Gnomon but I did receive a shipment email via PayPal yesterday. In fairness to Gnomon, they say they sent me five emails and, while I have no reason to doubt them, I never did receive them. No big deal, I'm just excited to get it before the weekend. I bet yours shows up soon as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I never received a confirmation email from Gnomon but I did receive a shipment email via PayPal yesterday. In fairness to Gnomon, they say they sent me five emails and, while I have no reason to doubt them, I never did receive them. No big deal, I'm just excited to get it before the weekend. I bet yours shows up soon as well.
Just wanted to clarify I wasn't dissing Gnomon, I have done lots of purchases through them and really like the experience. I had just noticed that many were reporting getting them in without knowing ahead of time - they may be having a technical glitch and nothing more, or they are just really busy shipping out all these great watches to us!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Compared to the two other Steinharts I’ve had, this one’s clasp feels much better. Turning the bezel feels good and doesn’t sound hollow like some people reported on the ocean 1 39s. The only thing wrong with this watch is the Steinhart logo on the crown is upside down when the crown is screwed in all the way. Besides that one thing, I really like this watch. I also like how the crystal sticks out a hair from the bezel insert. The domed crystal is more noticeable than the ones on the OVM and OVR MKIIIs I had.
This should be different every time you set your time as the crown turns a random number of rotations when setting the new time before you then screw in the crown to tighten, thus changing the way the logo sits when tightened all the way in.

·
Registered
453 Posts
This should be different every time you set your time as the crown turns a random number of rotations when setting the new time before you then screw in the crown to tighten, thus changing the way the logo sets when tightened all the way in.
Yes, the crown rotates, but the threads on the crown remain in the same place. So regardless of how I rotate, the treads will catch and begin screwing in the same spot. My other Steinharts were spot on with the crown threads

·
Registered
205 Posts
I own both the MKIII and the new 39 LE. Need help deciding which to keep (the wife won’t let me do both, especially after my Black Bay acquisition last month)

Here are some comparison photos:

Side by side. Comparison is harder because my 42mm is on a black fabric strap, but you get the idea:

Thickness comparison:

39mm crystal:

42mm crystal:

39mm on wrist, bracelet unsized:

42mm on wrist:

Both “on wrist”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
My opinions/analysis owing both the MKIII and LE 39 at the same time:

Oddly, I like the proportions of the 42 better, even though I don’t like the long lugs and feel the size is almost too big for my wrist. I feel the 42 is slightly more balanced for some reason.

I like the crystal on the 39 better. The slight step makes it look more interesting.

I prefer the brushed bezel of the 42 to the polish of the 39.

Bracelet on both have a nice taper. Haven’t played with the clasp on the 39 (plastic still on) but the 42 is solid.

I have a 6.75” wrist. 39mm definitely looks good, but I lean towards the aesthetics of the 42. Which should I keep??

Both are amazing pieces.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I own both the MKIII and the new 39 LE. Need help deciding which to keep (the wife won’t let me do both, especially after my Black Bay acquisition last month)

42mm on wrist:

Your wrist is big enough to wear the 42 so I’d stick with the 42. I sold my 42 because it was too big for me.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
First of all thanks for sharing pictures of both side by side and on your wrist.
I agree that 42mm looks more proportionate than 39mm but they both look very good.
42mm looks great on your wrist therefore i dont see a reason for you not to keep that one.
BTW what strap is on the 42mm? Perlon? Looks awesome and comforable.

Side by side. Comparison is harder because my 42mm is on a black fabric strap, but you get the idea:

Thickness comparison:

39mm crystal:

42mm crystal:

42mm on wrist:

Both “on wrist”

·
Registered
77 Posts

Oddly, I like the proportions of the 42 better, even though I don’t like the long lugs and feel the size is almost too big for my wrist. I feel the 42 is slightly more balanced for some reason.

I like the crystal on the 39 better. The slight step makes it look more interesting.

Bracelet on both have a nice taper. Haven’t played with the clasp on the 39 (plastic still on) but the 42 is solid.

I have a 6.75” wrist. 39mm definitely looks good, but I lean towards the aesthetics of the 42. Which should I keep??

Both are amazing pieces.

My wrist is about the same size as yours and I just couldn’t get myself to like how the 42 look on me despite having tried them on many times and I actually like its aesthetics when not worn. The 39 is just perfect with balance and proportions. Brushed finish would make it a even more faithful homage but somehow I like the more dressy side of the polished finish on the 39, more versatile for daily wear that way. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Received one and sized the bracelet immediately. Some pics:
On my 6.5inch wrist:
IMG_4069.JPG
Side view on my wrist:
IMG_4082.JPG
Compared to Borealis Seastorm:
IMG_4070.JPG IMG_4081.JPG IMG_4076.JPG
Compared to Pelagos 2-liner:
IMG_4077.JPG
On the same wrist:
IMG_4069.JPG IMG_4079.JPG IMG_4080.JPG

For me 39-40mm is the sweet spot so it’s well in that range. Really happy with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, the crown rotates, but the threads on the crown remain in the same place. So regardless of how I rotate, the treads will catch and begin screwing in the same spot. My other Steinharts were spot on with the crown threads
Hmmm. I guess that makes sense and also points out that I don't think I have ever payed attention to where the crown logo sits on any of mine. Though, I do have my own little bits that drive me crazy and can appreciate the situation you have with it.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Both are amazing pieces.

I liked my OVM MKIII 42, but the only reason I couldn’t fall in love with it is because I thought it looked too big. It fit my wrist fine at 7-7.25” but I couldn’t get over how big it still looked. As soon as the 39 came out I ordered it and sold my 42 (it sold within 24 hours). Now that I have the 39 I’m totally satisfied because it’s all the watch i wanted, just in a more elegant/subtle size.

Seems like you’ve got a tough decision to make! You couldn’t go wrong with either

·
Registered
73 Posts

Thickness comparison:

39mm crystal:

42mm crystal:

42mm on wrist:

Both “on wrist”

I think the 39 looks best on your wrist, and also go against the grain in thinking it also looks more proportionate. However, happiness in a watch is extremely personal and you should go with your gut. Obviously neither is so questionable that it could be wrong, both are great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
First of all thanks for sharing pictures of both side by side and on your wrist.
I agree that 42mm looks more proportionate than 39mm but they both look very good.
42mm looks great on your wrist therefore i dont see a reason for you not to keep that one.
BTW what strap is on the 42mm? Perlon? Looks awesome and comforable.
Thanks DuckaDiesel! I think I’ll likely end up keeping the 42. Definitely a fan of both though.

The black fabric strap in the pic is from my Tudor Black Bay. It fits perfectly because both have a 50-ish mm lug to lug (the spring bars actually slide into the strap before being attached to the watch).

It’s an amazing strap, especially after being broken in a bit. I also like that it’s a “single pass” style, meaning it’s less thick overall than a traditional NATO.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thanks DuckaDiesel! I think I’ll likely end up keeping the 42. Definitely a fan of both though.

The black fabric strap in the pic is from my Tudor Black Bay. It fits perfectly because both have a 50-ish mm lug to lug (the spring bars actually slide into the strap before being attached to the watch).

It’s an amazing strap, especially after being broken in a bit. I also like that it’s a “single pass” style, meaning it’s less thick overall than a traditional NATO.

I figured after i posted that it may be Tudor because of the buckle.
I mean for that strap combo alone you need to keep 42mm, looks perfect lol.
I have a 7 inch wrist and 42mm fits the same as you.
I almost ordered 39 as well just to compare but after seeing pics i decided to stick with 42.
At the end of the day, they are both amazing and whichever one you keep it is not the wrong move.
It all comes down to if the lugs are hanging off the wrist or not

141 - 160 of 535 Posts