WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first watch with interchangeable bezels (Helson Tortuga) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever done custom/small batch 3D printed bezels. Seems like it's pretty ideally suited to those kinds of tools. Plastic obviously isn't the kind of material that most folks want on a nice watch but the home 3D printer could be used to prototype and then have it printed in steel by Shapeways or something...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
3D printing ends up with a minimum muzzle diameter in FDM technology or 0.03mm layer strength in stl so you are not that free in your design without taking care on warped surfaces or steps. a bezel is usually turned to a fitting tolerance of about some micron, A thermally shaped prototype has tolerances in 0.x mm so about 50 to 100 times more... better route the parts even from stock plastic

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know! I'm still curious enough to try it - I have access to a 3D scanner and printer that might be worth experimenting with, if only for fun...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Sure - but you have to know - a very precise scanner gathers a lot of points - Just a point cloud - you would have to resurface this points so the slicer could calculate the layer sections... I have it all 3D scanner, 3D printer and router
and I would definitely - when it comes to watchparts prefer the router and a good instead of a scanner system. Dependent on the accuracy or the resolution of your scanner you would add the reading and writing tolerances and so would go even worse as just by printing from construction data! Perhaps you try a 3D program - Rhino Trial - Google Sketchup or similar to create your data - But especially in case of a Bezel ring ... A router would be faster better in accuracy and surface and the part would look better and be more rigid than when created with a printer!

This is not a serious trial of a watch case, but more or less a first trial of my DIY router time is about 0.5h and the stepover is rather coarse could be done better but finally it was a router test as already said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XhJeNMgVnA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts