WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like the soon to be released 4g Apple Watch still won't be a standalone gadget. It still requires an iPhone in order to function. What a joke.o|

·
Registered
234 Posts
That doesn't concern me in the slightest. I always have my phone with me, and the battery drain to support cellular would be horrible. To me, it's an extension of the phone. I have no desire for it to be a replacement.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,793 Posts
So, OP, since the Series 3 has LTE, what's your complaint?

That you still need an iPhone as a sort of "home base" for configuring the AW?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Since the call feature is there from the beginning, I am curious if people actually make or receive calls on the watch, while in public? To me it seems awkward to talk on the watch while in public, not mentioning that everybody would hear your conversation. The only use case for me would be to take calls while driving.

·
Registered
23,793 Posts
I have taken calls, but they're always brief. I have to good sense to not wander around gossiping about my friends via speakerphone. :p

·
Registered
23,793 Posts
Might as well mention it here:

The figures I've read say that the AW can do three hours of talk time while piggybacking off the phone (much like before, where the phone is doing the heavy LTE lifting), and one hour of talk time while using its onboard LTE.

No, nobody's going to be talking to their wrist for an hour, but they'd use AirPods to carry on the conversation.

I'm not surprised, so I'm not really disappointed, either. I think that feature creep (even though the new SiP in the AW3LTE is even more efficient than previous models) is outpacing battery technology. I would like to use the AW as a gateway -- or foyer, or some other analogy -- and only bring out the phone when I need a bigger screen.

On the other hand, I'd probably be fine with the current specs, mainly because I just don't talk on the phone very much. My non-LTE AW covers the gateway role today just fine. Also, my old job needed me to be accessible 24/7, but my new job doesn't.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,777 Posts
Might as well mention it here:

The figures I've read say that the AW can do three hours of talk time while piggybacking off the phone (much like before, where the phone is doing the heavy LTE lifting), and one hour of talk time while using its onboard LTE.

No, nobody's going to be talking to their wrist for an hour, but they'd use AirPods to carry on the conversation.

I'm not surprised, so I'm not really disappointed, either. I think that feature creep (even though the new SiP in the AW3LTE is even more efficient than previous models) is outpacing battery technology. I would like to use the AW as a gateway -- or foyer, or some other analogy -- and only bring out the phone when I need a bigger screen.

On the other hand, I'd probably be fine with the current specs, mainly because I just don't talk on the phone very much. My non-LTE AW covers the gateway role today just fine. Also, my old job needed me to be accessible 24/7, but my new job doesn't.
Where did you read about those times?
I expect to use the watch for the same tasks as before. Surfing on such a small screen is not a good experience.

·
Registered
23,793 Posts
Where did you read about those times?
I expect to use the watch for the same tasks as before. Surfing on such a small screen is not a good experience.
Like web surfing? I don't think anyone over the past three years has ever suggested it should be expected on the AW.

Anyway, here's where the battery info comes from:
https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Pointed out by AppleInsider here:
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...eaming-16gb-of-storage-lte-talk-time-and-more

This testing was done in August. It might get a little better over time with software updates (watchOS has gotten more efficient with each iteration), but watchOS 4 is in GM status now, and the hardware isn't going to change much between now and November, either.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,777 Posts
Like web surfing? I don't think anyone over the past three years has ever suggested it should be expected on the AW.

Anyway, here's where the battery info comes from:
https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Pointed out by AppleInsider here:
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...eaming-16gb-of-storage-lte-talk-time-and-more

This testing was done in August. It might get a little better over time with software updates (watchOS has gotten more efficient with each iteration), but watchOS 4 is in GM status now, and the hardware isn't going to change much between now and November, either.
If the watch can barely last a day on LTE only, might not be wise to buy the most expensive model?

·
Registered
23,793 Posts
If the watch can barely last a day on LTE only, might not be wise to buy the most expensive model?
I figure that unless you're going to use it for LTE-based phone calls, it'll have similar battery life to what we've been getting so far. Your question applies just as much to the earlier models, then.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,777 Posts
I figure that unless you're going to use it for LTE-based phone calls, it'll have similar battery life to what we've been getting so far. Your question applies just as much to the earlier models, then.
I thought about this last night, and agree with you. Thinking of the grey ceramic unless it will be delivered later than the SS models.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Since the call feature is there from the beginning, I am curious if people actually make or receive calls on the watch, while in public? To me it seems awkward to talk on the watch while in public, not mentioning that everybody would hear your conversation. The only use case for me would be to take calls while driving.
In public? I’d rather text. But when driving and my phone is in the glovebox or my bag—and my car doesn’t have bluetooth or aux audio inputs—being able to take a call on my watch is very useful.

I don’t jog outdoors, but I imagine joggers would like having call feature available, even if only for the peace of mind. Actually, for anyone who likes leaving their phone behind, peace of mind could be compelling enough to jump at an AW with LTE.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have taken calls on it, but usually only when there is really no option.

Some time back, I was leaving the house and locking up with arms full of stuff when the phone rang. I was able to answer the watch with my nose, and take the call. It was a job I could easily have missed had I missed the call.

Another place I frequent has wifi throughout, and I'll often leave my phone outside because I'll get all notifications, and be able to reply, on the watch. There have been a couple of times when someone has called, and I've had no choice but to take it on the watch. I'm not comfortable doing that in public, though.

Another thing is that the speaker really isn't that loud!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts