WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Cheers for all the input! Its a huge decision (for me at least the other half doesn't think its worth it lol) So I'm thinking its going to be the speedmaster pro or MkII

The big decision will come when i can actually try them on, if i go for the Hesalite version i can probably keep my Oris divers watch and have my Omega...best of both worlds. Looking at them and i know its only online i think i actually prefer the hesalite version as the glass or acrylic is clearer and you don't have the cloudy edge. Also apparently if the hesalite does scratch for the price difference i can get 5 or 6 new crystals installed.

·
Registered
9,712 Posts
Whilst I like chronographs....

I find watches traditional dials more beautiful in most instances.

Out of all them - the Planet Ocean.

If you actually use the chronograph function regularly- the Seamaster

·
Registered
425 Posts
Own a speedy pro and PO. Vote from me goes to the PO on bracelet, but I have bigger wrists. PO is automatic, more accurate, and has date which I use more than a chronograph. PO still has bezel to time things you don't need super accuracy on like cooking.
Speedy is nice and choice two for me. Good thing about them, if you buy used, you won't take a bath if you decide its not for you and prefer other watch.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've owned at least half a dozen Omega's over the years and I've found the more classically styled models, such as the base Speedmaster, Seamaster 300mc, and 1st gen 2500 Planet Ocean had the most staying power. I found the shiny ceramic dial Seamasters to be too shiny.
Completely disagree about all ceramic being too shiny. 8500 model PO's are very flat and turn deep in direct light.

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
Completely disagree about all ceramic being too shiny. 8500 model PO's are very flat and turn deep in direct light.
I appreciate your opinion, however, the dial was changed from matte black to gloss ceramic. As a result, it is unquestionably more shiny than the original. How shiny is too shiny, is a matter of opinion.

Here is a 2500 version with the matte dial:

Here is a ceramic dial:

·
Registered
997 Posts
I appreciate your opinion, however, the dial was changed from matte black to gloss ceramic. As a result, it is unquestionably more shiny than the original. How shiny is too shiny, is a matter of opinion.

Here is a 2500 version with the matte dial:

View attachment 15556664

Here is a ceramic dial:

View attachment 15556665
You are showing the last gen PO against the 2500. The 8500 is no way near as shiny.
The face has a few flakes in it but it’s not glossy like the last iteration with the ceramic dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
You are showing the last gen PO against the 2500. The 8500 is no way near as shiny.
The face has a few flakes in it but it’s not glossy like the last iteration with the ceramic dial.
The OP stated, and provided a photo, he's considering a 8900 Planet ocean, not the older 8500. Additionally, I've only seen gloss ceramic dials offered on the blue PO's.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My first Omega was a chrono, but I found that I rarely used the function and I wish I’d just bought the normal
Bond. if you are going to use it, then the Moon watch is a no brainier. If you aren’t, then the PO is a winner all the way.

·
Registered
9,841 Posts
I'd go Speedy and/or Planet Ocean. I have both, great watches in their own right. One is an absolute classic, with loads of history. The other, (in my opinion) a modern day classic. Can't go 'wrong' with either. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Depends on your lifestyle. If you are gonna be getting it wet a lot I’d go with a sea master. I have a speedy and love it for the history, it can go with anything and it’s a strap monster. Two things in the negative column though are I never really need the chrono function and rarely use it (even when I do it’s for pointless things), and I would throw something else on if I was going to the beach, pool, etc. Sea master would be a better GADA watch imo. It’s all personal preference though, get what you like best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
If the PO becomes your only watch i would choose something else, its not a great candidate for a GADA. The same goes for the SMP Chrono, they are hefty watches. If you absolutely must go with the PO get one with a bracelet and get the strap after.

If you are able to keep the Oris and pick up the speedy id do that for the reasons you mentioned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PO for me personally followed by Speedy. The new PO blue looks gorgeous in person and a really good allrounder.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,841 Posts
If the PO becomes your only watch i would choose something else, its not a great candidate for a GADA. The same goes for the SMP Chrono, they are hefty watches. If you absolutely must go with the PO get one with a bracelet and get the strap after.

If you are able to keep the Oris and pick up the speedy id do that for the reasons you mentioned.
Interesting perspective, care to share your reasoning? :unsure:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi all,

So I'm selling my Oris and going to get an Omega, I've always wanted one and thought now is the time.

I'm stuck between 4 that I've seen, 2 seamasters and 2 speedmasters!

I usually go for a dive style watch so obviously the seamaster was my original choice but I love the speedmaster and the history of the watch. For obvious reasons I can't get to an Omega AD soon but would like to see what everyone's opinions are and any experiences they have had with them to sway me. The one issue I have with the speedmaster is the manual wind but thats not a major issue for me. The one concern I do have is the crystal is apparently very delicate and scratches easy so I may have to push for the sapphire sandwich version.

The 4 I'm looking at are -

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 42mm Mens Watch O31130423001006
View attachment 15553780

Omega Seamaster Diver 300m Co-Axial 44mm Mens Watch O21230445003001
View attachment 15553781

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Mark II Co-Axial 42.4mm Mens Watch O32710435006001
View attachment 15553782
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600m Co-Axial 43.5mm Mens Watch O21533442103001
View attachment 15553784

Any advice would be so helpful.

cheers
I’ve owned an SMP chronograph and a couple of Planet Oceans, never owned a Speedy.

Let’s start with what I’d rule out and why - I’ve never been a fan of manual wind. In short, I’d forget. Guaranteed. Like you I’m ok with it in principle, I ought to be able to remember to wind a watch every morning. In truth, I’m busy and I’d forget. Forgetting and having the watch run down would annoy me. Having it happen more than a few times would be a death sentence for the watch. Of course you may not be as arbitrary and you may really not mind. But think about the truth of it. Don’t think about whether you’d do it. Everyone thinks they will. Think about how you’d feel if it didn’t and the likelihood. Go from there. If it’s still on the list from there, good man.

Secondly, the Speedy is not particularly hardy when it comes to the wet stuff. I wear my watches all the time. To shower, to swim, I am a diver so perhaps that stuffs the Speedy anyhow, but for my normal life, I want a watch that just works that I don’t have to think about. I’d be worried about a Speedy because it’s not very water resistant. Again, think about your daily life - will it fit or not?

On to an SMP chrono - I didn’t own the model in the picture, but they’re all much of a muchness. I found it to be hardy, reliable, it looked good, it wore scratches well, the chrono function was useful in my life at the time and it wasn’t blank breakingly expensive. One disadvantage - the scalloped bezel is difficult to turn wearing gloves when wet. I sold mine because I fancied a Planet Ocean, no other reason.

Your last pick would be my pick of the bunch, though admittedly, not in that configuration. The Planet Ocean had the attributes above - very robust, looked good, functionally sound, very legible, easy to use when wet and easily worn with various straps. I had two, the first edition and the second. I got rid of the first because it had the 2500 movement and it let me down. Subsequent iterations didn’t have that challenge and I found the second model to be an infinite improvement in terms of build quality and finishing, though I didn’t own it long, I’ve heard of no challenges with the movement. On the downside, the PO is a slab of a watch, it’s big, it can wear heavy and you will notice you’re wearing it. You may get used to that, you may not (in truth the same could be said of the SMP chrono).

I hugely prefer the PO. It looks better, it’s robust, the water resistance suits my life, the build quality is excellent and the downside is size and size alone.

The four are very different watches, so perhaps have a good long think not about making your life fit the watch, but the other way around. That’s a recipe for holding on to it and not flipping it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Another vote for one NOT on the list.

SMP Diver 300.
Followed by Speedy (not if you can't stand scratches)
Then Planet Ocean.

Diver Chronos are pointless IMHO and its a shame Omega is making them. This coming from someone who values Omega as his favourite watch brand.
From a diver, I can assure you that diver chrono graphs are not pointless. The bezel times the bottom time (ooh err!) and the chronograph times tasks or gasses.

Reactions: Cod Holliday

·
Registered
592 Posts
Interesting perspective, care to share your reasoning? :unsure:
I made some assumptions about what the OP has for watches and his wardrobe. Assuming the Oris diver is currently his only watch and would be selling it for the SMP or PO.

I've owned the SMP Chrono for a number of years and found it very top heavy, ended up wearing it on a strap most of the time. The version I had was 41.5mm x 17mm, the 44mm version may fit better so I probably should have made that distinction. Still one of my favorite watches but since it was not comfortable i let it go.

The PO 8900 is similarly sized 43.5mm x 16mm but wears much better than the SMP Chrono, better proportions. I owned only this watch for over a year as my GADA trying to make it work but couldn't, even rotating between bracelet and oem leather. It wears great but the thickness is too much for button up shirts (even when you have custom enlarged cuffs ), for everything else it's fine. Still own the watch and it's remains my favorite watch but know it's limitations.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I made some assumptions about what the OP has for watches and his wardrobe. Assuming the Oris diver is currently his only watch and would be selling it for the SMP or PO.

I've owned the SMP Chrono for a number of years and found it very top heavy, ended up wearing it on a strap most of the time. The version I had was 41.5mm x 17mm, the 44mm version may fit better so I probably should have made that distinction. Still one of my favorite watches but since it was not comfortable i let it go.

The PO 8900 is similarly sized 43.5mm x 16mm but wears much better than the SMP Chrono, better proportions. I owned only this watch for over a year as my GADA trying to make it work but couldn't, even rotating between bracelet and oem leather. It wears great but the thickness is too much for button up shirts (even when you have custom enlarged cuffs ), for everything else it's fine. Still own the watch and it's remains my favorite watch but know it's limitations.
I found both the SMP chrono and the PO to be difficult to wear under cuffs. That was a limitation... you can have cuffs made and they do work... but yes... that’s a pricey solution for a problem that was pricey to get into in the first place.

The SMP three hander didn’t have that issue, though it isn’t on the OP’s list and while I would recommend it, I’m presuming he didn’t have it on his list for a reason.

·
Registered
9,841 Posts

Talking about large watches, this was my GADA watch for quite a number of years, it was a beast!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts