WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is quite hilarious. ( I'm a Seiko fan btw, not a general basher).

I was browsing Seiya's site and first was shocked to see the price of the SPDX049, hadn't seen it before. Apart from asking myself how it can cost as much, I burst out laughing when I read the product description:

""
NOTE

The chapter ring and index & bezel index and face index are not being aligned perfectly.

In general, Seiko's screw-down crowns are not smooth as Swiss manufactures'
""

If they can't even bother quality checking their most expensive watches, I'm seriously considering my allegiance to Seiko...

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I watched this video recently:

Too long; didn't watch: there are more aspects that could be of value than tight quality standards. e.g. Design that I love.

If I were to want a Seiko nowadays, as I've done before, I'd definitely check in-store to ensure I could tolerate the wabi sabi before buying. I've never bought online, but if I buy online, I'd buy fully expecting clown 🤡 alignments, and be surprised and thrilled if anything lines up. haha (EDIT: Not saying I think Seiko quality is so bad, all of them are misaligned... Just saying that would be my mental approach, to avoid potential disappointment...)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
This is quite hilarious. ( I'm a Seiko fan btw, not a general basher).

I was browsing Seiya's site and first was shocked to see the price of the SPDX049, hadn't seen it before. Apart from asking myself how it can cost as much, I burst out laughing when I read the product description:

""
NOTE

The chapter ring and index & bezel index and face index are not being aligned perfectly.

In general, Seiko's screw-down crowns are not smooth as Swiss manufactures'
""

If they can't even bother quality checking their most expensive watches, I'm seriously considering my allegiance to Seiko...

That's click bait right? It's just the standard Seiya disclaimer for all Seikos. It's not a specific thing for this watch.

·
Registered
553 Posts
So what I gleaned from skimming thru the first few minutes of the vid as I couldn't take anymore is that it's not a Seiko QC failure, it's a Seiko Design specification failure?
They meet the specs in the QC inspections, the fact that you aren't happy is because the design specs suck.
I only buy Seiko second had nowadays.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's click bait right? It's just the standard Seiya disclaimer for all Seikos. It's not a specific thing for this watch.
No it wasn't click bait, I was just amused they have the statement for the most expensive Seiko. Doesn't really entice you to fork out so much money for a watch.

Seiya is obviously getting lots of complaints of misaligned Seikos...

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Seiko philosophy on dive watches is that it should work, but not that it is alligned perfectly. Seiko consider these watches as tool watches.

·
Registered
Seiko Divers mostly
38 Posts
The Seiko philosophy on dive watches is that it should work, but not that it is alligned perfectly. Seiko consider these watches as tool watches.
I never cared about the misalligned chapter rings on the "standard" line of divers (7002, SKX, new Turtle....) which I consider Tool watches aswell and you get a lot of watch for your money so its silly to complain about such a minute detail in my opinion.
But as we get higher up the price range things change, the watches for a few thousand $ aren't really tool watches anymore I'd say. Sure they can be used the same way but why would anybody buy a tool thats 5x to 10x the price of one with pretty much the same specs. So they should be built to higher standard.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
i'm guessing that language, which is on that website for every Seiko dive watch they sell, is to blunt/discourage complaints and returns for this kind of issue.

the date window on most of my watches is visible but blurry without reading glasses. i wouldn't notice the stuff people complain about. i also have two seiko dive watches, both sub-$1000 new, and neither of which has alignment issues. must be hit or miss.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I never cared about the misalligned chapter rings on the "standard" line of divers (7002, SKX, new Turtle....) which I consider Tool watches aswell and you get a lot of watch for your money so its silly to complain about such a minute detail in my opinion.
But as we get higher up the price range things change, the watches for a few thousand $ aren't really tool watches anymore I'd say. Sure they can be used the same way but why would anybody buy a tool thats 5x to 10x the price of one with pretty much the same specs. So they should be built to higher standard.
I agree with that. How hard can it really be to allign very watch they make? I had once a MM200 in my hands at a Seiko dealer. This bezel was so poorly alligned.....the dealer just did not see it. For me it was a deal breaker.

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
Well, in their defense, it's not the most expensive Seiko. 😅 But FWIW Rolex Subs have misalignments too, yet you rarely see people talk about it, I think much of it has to do with the fact that a lot of people love to sh** on Seiko priced beyond their conception of what a Seiko should be priced.

·
Registered
286 Posts
More expensive Grand Seikos also have alignment issues, so why would an MM200 surprise you?

My favorite is when the GMT hand on GS GMT watches doesn't line up with the hour markers. I mean, that's a bit more than an aesthetic issue, at that point...

·
Registered
201 Posts
It is my understanding that just like Seiko have stated +\- timing standards they also have +\- alignment standards and I have read antidotal reports of people sending back watches for alignment issues and bieng told that the warranty would not cover it because it was within acceptable range. As I don’t care about bezel chapter ring and hour marker alignment it is a moot point to me. I will say that if I cared I would make any purchase in store because I hate with a passion sending back stuff

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yea it's like the display panel warranty doesn't cover the first few dead pixels. Clown world.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
More expensive Grand Seikos also have alignment issues, so why would an MM200 surprise you?

My favorite is when the GMT hand on GS GMT watches doesn't line up with the hour markers. I mean, that's a bit more than an aesthetic issue, at that point...
The new GS fanboys will not give two f*s about it since they've never had older GS that were QC issue free.

Seiya should also put that there could be sand under the turn bezel new out of the box.

I've also seen a new B-22 strap with a new Seiko out of the box where there is unfinished mold lines on the rubber where the Seiko logo is.

Also don't forget the thread where somebody's new GS watch had the logo fell off the bracelet buckle.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So what I gleaned from skimming thru the first few minutes of the vid as I couldn't take anymore is that it's not a Seiko QC failure, it's a Seiko Design specification failure?
They meet the specs in the QC inspections, the fact that you aren't happy is because the design specs suck.
I only buy Seiko second had nowadays.
So they are within spec, but that is completely meaningless because the specs are sh*t? That's an interesting way to put it.

I have considered buying a seiko but I dont think my OCD would tolerate the misalignment because c'mon man you had 1 job just align the damn thing already they have been knowing about this issue for years now.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well, in their defense, it's not the most expensive Seiko. 😅 But FWIW Rolex Subs have misalignments too, yet you rarely see people talk about it, I think much of it has to do with the fact that a lot of people love to sh** on Seiko priced beyond their conception of what a Seiko should be priced.
You know it's all because of that one dude working at Rolex who only has one job which is to align a certain component. Maybe it's not a very rewarding experience for the workers there with all this lean manufacturing.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts