WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
That is
The new GS fanboys will not give two f*s about it since they've never had older GS that were QC issue free.

Seiya should also put that there could be sand under the turn bezel new out of the box.

I've also seen a new B-22 strap with a new Seiko out of the box where there is unfinished mold lines on the rubber where the Seiko logo is.

Also don't forget the thread where somebody's new GS watch had the logo fell off the bracelet buckle.
Two apocryphal examples does not a fact make

·
Premium Member
42,551 Posts
Seiko QC------going forward in reverse.........

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
Well, in their defense, it's not the most expensive Seiko. 😅 But FWIW Rolex Subs have misalignments too, yet you rarely see people talk about it, I think much of it has to do with the fact that a lot of people love to sh** on Seiko priced beyond their conception of what a Seiko should be priced.
The differences are simple: (i) it is much more rare; (ii) it is not considered an acceptable flaw by Rolex or their ADs, and would be fixed if you went to Rolex complaining about it.

People sh** on $4K+ Seikos because they do not deliver on the quality, accuracy, and refinement that most other brands at that price point seem to be capable of delivering.

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
The Seiko philosophy on dive watches is that it should work, but not that it is alligned perfectly. Seiko consider these watches as tool watches.
Then they shouldn't be charging $4K+ and putting Zaratsu polishing on them. If you want to see an expensive tool watch, look at a Tudor Pelagos, every design element is included to improve its functionality, and is matte finished throughout to improve its readability. What does Zaratsu polishing do for a tool watch?

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
Two apocryphal examples does not a fact make
I wouldn't refer to the example of the issue with the Grand Seiko clasp as apocryphal,

do you doubt the veracity of that account?

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
I wouldn't refer to the example of the issue with the Grand Seiko clasp as apocryphal,

do you doubt the veracity of that account?
There was no link, how should I have known about it? Someone makes such a claim they should include the link. So claim with a link, one and one...let's call it apocryphal. That's just someone :poop: on seiko...amirite...

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is quite hilarious. ( I'm a Seiko fan btw, not a general basher).

I was browsing Seiya's site and first was shocked to see the price of the SPDX049, hadn't seen it before. Apart from asking myself how it can cost as much, I burst out laughing when I read the product description:

""
NOTE

The chapter ring and index & bezel index and face index are not being aligned perfectly.

In general, Seiko's screw-down crowns are not smooth as Swiss manufactures'
""

If they can't even bother quality checking their most expensive watches, I'm seriously considering my allegiance to Seiko...

That is funny. I’m a Seiko fanboy and I like Seiko watches much more than anything else outhere, by far.

However, obvious misalignments are unacceptable in my opinion, in a $200 watch as well as a $10000, it doesn’t matter. It shows lack of respect or care for the customer and the product you make, again regardless of price. It should be a shame for a Japanese company.

I will exclude from this slight misalignments as I’ve seen people complain about things I needed a loupe or 10 minutes of staring to observe.

·
Registered
Omega Seamaster, Seiko Alpinist & Flightmaster, Mido Baroncelli, Citizen BlueAngels, G-Shock GWM5600
485 Posts
If a cheap Casio can have a bezel, date wheel, and chapter ring perfectly aligned...so can Seiko.

I'll give my money to companies who care about QC and delivering quality. "It's just a tool watch" is a lame excuse and inexcusable for lazy QC. Swiss mechanical watches at this point are a better value in almost every price category (except sub $150, seiko 5 wins). Long gone are the days of the competitive value of SARB017, SARB033, SARB035, SARB065, SKX007, SKX009, SKX013 for only $200-350...

I really hope Seiko goes back to making sub $500 USD 6r35 watches available worldwide rather than Japan market only. More ISO rated and 200m WR+ watches. Put the beautiful dials in thinner/smaller cases, rather than 14mm thick chunky dress watches. Better QC, 28k beat movement like the 9015, better bracelets, smoother screw down crowns, more sapphire and phase out hardlex.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well.. It have "ever-brilliant steel" case. Does that mean it have some kind of coating on or is it just stainless steel?

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
But as we get higher up the price range things change, the watches for a few thousand $ aren't really tool watches anymore I'd say. Sure they can be used the same way but why would anybody buy a tool thats 5x to 10x the price of one with pretty much the same specs. So they should be built to higher standard.
Part of the enjoyment for me is using a watch as it was intended to be used, regardless of the price. The watch I beat on the most is my Pelagos even though I own less expensive divers.

As for the OP, yup that’s just boilerplate Seiya appends to the product pages on his site. I assume most of his customers are in the USA and that returns for QC issues or perceived QC issues are a pain in the butt. This language at least somewhat indemnifies him against these sorts of complaints.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
If a cheap Casio can have a bezel, date wheel, and chapter ring perfectly aligned...so can Seiko.

I'll give my money to companies who care about QC and delivering quality. "It's just a tool watch" is a lame excuse and inexcusable for lazy QC. Swiss mechanical watches at this point are a better value in almost every price category (except sub $150, seiko 5 wins). Long gone are the days of the competitive value of SARB017, SARB033, SARB035, SARB065, SKX007, SKX009, SKX013 for only $200-350...

I really hope Seiko goes back to making sub $500 USD 6r35 watches available worldwide rather than Japan market only. More ISO rated and 200m WR+ watches. Put the beautiful dials in thinner/smaller cases, rather than 14mm thick chunky dress watches. Better QC, 28k beat movement like the 9015, better bracelets, smoother screw down crowns, more sapphire and phase out hardlex.
I dont think any of this will be happening anytime soon...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Part of the enjoyment for me is using a watch as it was intended to be used, regardless of the price. The watch I beat on the most is my Pelagos even though I own less expensive divers.

As for the OP, yup that’s just boilerplate Seiya appends to the product pages on his site. I assume most of his customers are in the USA and that returns for QC issues or perceived QC issues are a pain in the butt. This language at least somewhat indemnifies him against these sorts of complaints.
Are you diving with the Pelagos?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
There was no link, how should I have known about it? Someone makes such a claim they should include the link. So claim with a link, one and one...let's call it apocryphal. That's just someone :poop: on seiko...amirite...
Fanboy much?

·
Registered
328 Posts

What’s funny is that Casio doesn’t market craftsmanship, tradition, I never even heard the word “watchmaking” in any Casio literature. They just market affordable honest time keeping instruments, that’s it. And as you say they do a way better job than Seiko and frankly better than other brands too in their QC standards. There is a reason Casio gets so much respect, it deserves it and earn it.

I would also agree that the Swiss are further than anybody in the value for money department. Especially in the lower mid range, Swatch Group watches are unbelievable quality and performance for their price. Which is sad for me since I don’t like almost anything that they make.

Seiko kills it in the design, for this THEY are further than anybody else. When you add their history and the brand (all things attached to those two) it’s no wonder they are so popular and the reason I’m a big fan and most of my watches are Seikos.

But if not for the above, they need to step up their game for what Japanese culture and craftsmanship and honor stands for. That’s how they became who they are.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Idk but the majority of seikos seem to be perfectly fine. I have had really good luck buying blind, and if I did purchase something I'm not satisfied with I get my money back. You can find quality issues at just about every price point seiko or not. If a watch is made by hand it is explained away as handmade which adds value and a unique characteristic. With most watches you have hand pick the one you want if you need it to be to your standards. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
Well.. It have "ever-brilliant steel" case. Does that mean it have some kind of coating on or is it just stainless steel?
I believe it's a different alloy of steel, like the 904L steel that Rolex uses, instead of the more common 316L steel.

Reactions: Sassi and juzzi77
21 - 40 of 184 Posts