WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
I would also agree that the Swiss are further than anybody in the value for money department. Especially in the lower mid range, Swatch Group watches are unbelievable quality and performance for their price. Which is sad for me since I don’t like almost anything that they make.

Seiko kills it in the design, for this THEY are further than anybody else. When you add their history and the brand (all things attached to those two) it’s no wonder they are so popular and the reason I’m a big fan and most of my watches are Seikos.
You know that Seiko has lost its way when it makes the Swiss look like a value proposition in comparison. Seiko is clearly holding on because of its brand equity and design language, and the collection of fans it acquired because of its compelling value, but it's also steadily burning through that fanbase. It feels like a dangerous downward spiral to me.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You know that Seiko has lost its way when it makes the Swiss look like a value proposition in comparison. Seiko is clearly holding on because of its brand equity and design language, and the collection of fans it acquired because of its compelling value, but it's also steadily burning through that fanbase. It feels like a dangerous downward spiral to me.
Well stated. I seriously can't think of a legitimate reason where Seiko can justify their exorbitant price increases.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Idk but the majority of seikos seem to be perfectly fine. I have had really good luck buying blind, and if I did purchase something I'm not satisfied with I get my money back. You can find quality issues at just about every price point seiko or not. If a watch is made by hand it is explained away as handmade which adds value and a unique characteristic. With most watches you have hand pick the one you want if you need it to be to your standards. 🤷‍♂️
What you say is correct, and like you I’ve also been very lucky with my Seikos, personally I have no complains, and I never had to return anything. I’ve said it many times. But it would be foolish to not believe there is an issue with Seiko QC standards, there are just too many reports out there for this not to be real. Unless this is a world-wide conspiracy agains Seiko which of course is ridiculous to think so.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hopefully they have improved QC, especially on their higher end watches. Has anyone posted any major shockers recently? Can't recall seeing any for a while.

Up to now I've stuck to the $3-500 range (SRPA21, SARB065, SRP583 and a few more) and not had any issues. Then again I'm not the nitpickyist of people, so someone who wanted to find a fault could probably do so.

After a few years hiatus I had a bit of a buying binge in December, and got a Sharp Edge GMT, Longines Legends Diver and Longines Conquest. Quality-wise, finish, movement accuracy (my GMT is about 2 sec/day), etc. the Seiko holds its ground against both the Longines. All three are great, well made, watches, so in regard to comparison with the Swiss, Seiko hit a home run with the Sharp Edge, punching well above its weight. Actually if the badge had said Omega, I don't think many would see the GMT as anything but a nice addition to its lineup.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
No it wasn't click bait, I was just amused they have the statement for the most expensive Seiko. Doesn't really entice you to fork out so much money for a watch.

Seiya is obviously getting lots of complaints of misaligned Seikos...
He’s done that for 10 years because of crybabies. Has nothing to do with Seiko corporate. Even with the qualifier he will take the watch back. He’s just running off the customers he doesn’t want to deal with, kinda like you apparently. No offense.

Reactions: Tanker G1

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
He’s done that for 10 years because of crybabies. Has nothing to do with Seiko corporate. Even with the qualifier he will take the watch back. He’s just running off the customers he doesn’t want to deal with, kinda like you apparently. No offense.
My last Seiko was purchased from him... You've obviously got no idea what the thread is about, so back off.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
My last Seiko was purchased from him... You've obviously got no idea what the thread is about, so back off.
A 10 year old can read your post and understand it. You’re just mad.

You gonna beat me up? lol

·
Registered
854 Posts
This is quite hilarious. ( I'm a Seiko fan btw, not a general basher).

I was browsing Seiya's site and first was shocked to see the price of the SPDX049, hadn't seen it before. Apart from asking myself how it can cost as much, I burst out laughing when I read the product description:

""
NOTE

The chapter ring and index & bezel index and face index are not being aligned perfectly.

In general, Seiko's screw-down crowns are not smooth as Swiss manufactures'
""

If they can't even bother quality checking their most expensive watches, I'm seriously considering my allegiance to Seiko...

That warning/ notice has been up there for a while and seems to be their way of both warning you and covering their butt!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Oh yo, I was looking around, and saw the same caveats for Citizen diver's watches:

Etc.

(Bolded part) Maybe there's some truth to that.

So... This is clear evidence of Citizen having wide quality standards. How bout we all go to Citizen sub-forum and start bashing Citizen for a change. 🤣

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Oh yo, I was looking around, and saw the same caveats for Citizen diver's watches:

Etc.

(Bolded part) Maybe there's some truth to that.

So... This is clear evidence of Citizen having wide quality standards. How bout we all go to Citizen sub-forum and start bashing Citizen for a change.
Funny you mention because my new Citizen is at the service center because the bezel just fell off. How about a dive and the bezel sinks to the ocean floor?

• Wow
Reactions: rdoder

·
Registered
282 Posts
What you say is correct, and like you I’ve also been very lucky with my Seikos, personally I have no complains, and I never had to return anything. I’ve said it many times. But it would be foolish to not believe there is an issue with Seiko QC standards, there are just too many reports out there for this not to be real. Unless this is a world-wide conspiracy agains Seiko which of course is ridiculous to think so.
I have seen many examples of qc issues with seikos. Personally ive only seen one, and in seiko's defense it looked like someone messed with the watch at some point. The hands had marks from being removed, possibly they were trying to fix a slightly misaligned dial. I haven't taken it apart yet to find out.

I would never claim that seiko is perfect, but I think there is such a dark cloud over their qc that more, more people go looking for issues. And honestly if you are constantly looking for an issue you will find one. If you are expecting perfect "xyz" then buy it in person.

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
Seiya doesn't seem to have a similar issue with any of the other Japanese watch brands he carries, so either only Seiko fans are cry babies, or it's a Seiko quality issue, or both...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
People sh** on $4K+ Seikos because they do not deliver on the quality, accuracy, and refinement that most other brands at that price point seem to be capable of delivering.
You could simply say, "People sh** on $4K+ Seikos" without the rest of the statement and unfortunately it's still true. People will absolutely lose their minds once they discover a Seiko that costs more than they think a Seiko should. The mentality seems to be, how dare Seiko price their watches anywhere near what the Swiss are asking? It's that or just a desperate need for something to hate these days.

I've seen people bashing Seiko admit they've never even owned one. This thread is a great example of not needing a Seiko to start a bashing party. Total click-bait. It's so tired, and you seem to never ever miss a Seiko QC thread. Seiko is in your head bad. That said, I'm constantly disappointed with the people who get a bad Seiko and don't return it. If Seiko started getting a return rate that affected their bottom line, the issues would be fixed pretty quick.

I bought the watch that started this thread last week. I'll have it soon and if it's not 100%, it's going back. It's that easy.

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
41 - 60 of 184 Posts