WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Will the Rollex Sub look tiny on my big bulky wrists?

• Yes - You're way too big for that watch. Will look like a ladies edition.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No - It would look perfect on you.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • I don't really know but nice Omega!

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Dive Watch Forum,

I have all kinds of watches but none less than a 41mm face. I have a large, muscular physique and have big bulky wrists as a result; I was wondering if the likes of a 40mm Rolls Sub would look small on my wrist? Here are a few pictures of me wearing my Omega SMP for comparison (please note, not only are my wrist wide, they are thick. I am maxing out the links on my Omega SMP Automatic Co-Axial):

2dl6ebk.jpg

2qi8l7l.jpg

211nv9g.jpg

As you can see, I am already donning this Omega SMP - how do you think a Rolls Submariner would look on my thick wrists? :/

Yours lavishly,

Mr. Lavish

P.S. Doss about, dress down Sunday - Black Prada v-neck cotton and silk blend.

Reactions: Ottovonn

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Hi Lavish glad to see you back here again!

Oh my God what a body connection i feeling there fella but please do yourself a favor, forget the 40mm sub-size since will surely look like a ladies edition on you and Adiòs connection!

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Sub will look puny on you, the DSSD won't be any different.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
The 40mm sub worked for 50-some years on blokes of all sizes. Below is Sean Connery, a one-time Mr. Universe competitor, wearing a 39mm Rolex. Does it looks wrong to you? (granted, back then movie stars didn't spend hours in the gym - even former Mr. Universe competitors). I think the problem is your build, not the watch. The slim, chiseled physique is de rigueur amongst the jet set. Don't you know? You don't want to look like a construction worker. You need to lay off the steak houses and gym, run and swim more, and eat a more fashionable plant-heavy organic diet.

Yours truly,
Pinkybrain
Consulting services for the new rich and aspiring social climbers
(feel free to PM me for any advice)

Sean-Connery-James-Bond-Rolex-Submariner.jpg

·
Registered
408 Posts
I might be in the minority here but I think about all of the vintage watches that are the rage right now and how many people are wearing them despite their relatively small size compared to more recent watches. I think it would look great, but rather than being sporty I think it'd be more dressy. Or let's put it this way, I see way more people where I think, "that watch is way too big and looks stupid on his wrist," than I think, "that's way too small."

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Looking good, man!

I think the Sub would look classy on you.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 40mm sub worked for 50-some years on blokes of all sizes. Below is Sean Connery, a one-time Mr. Universe competitor, wearing a 39mm Rolex. Does it looks wrong to you? (granted, back then movie stars didn't spend hours in the gym - even former Mr. Universe competitors). I think the problem is your build, not the watch. The slim, chiseled physique is de rigueur amongst the jet set. Don't you know? You don't want to look like a construction worker. You need to lay off the steak houses and gym, run and swim more, and eat a more fashionable plant-heavy organic diet.

Yours truly,
Pinkybrain
Consulting services for the new rich and aspiring social climbers
(feel free to PM me for any advice)

View attachment 919297
I'm bit bigger than Sean Connery though. Think a Rolls DeepSea would look a bit more practical on a guy like me?
I mean money isn't a problem, I just liked the aesthetics of the Subs.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
2qx7oqu.jpg

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
You're the best, Lavish. My post was sincere. I'd keep the sub. (I'd also add we'd rather see your lavishness not your topless photos - this is a watch forum. But who am I to stop you)

I'm bit bigger than Sean Connery though. Think a Rolls DeepSea would look a bit more practical on a guy like me?
I mean money isn't a problem, I just liked the aesthetics of the Subs.

View attachment 919302

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might be in the minority here but I think about all of the vintage watches that are the rage right now and how many people are wearing them despite their relatively small size compared to more recent watches. I think it would look great, but rather than being sporty I think it'd be more dressy. Or let's put it this way, I see way more people where I think, "that watch is way too big and looks stupid on his wrist," than I think, "that's way too small."
I don't wanna look like I'm wearing my mother watch though. Maybe you are right. I hate going to an AD and sitting there under-pressure trying the watch on, with everyone watching you. Last time I tried on a few Omegas and everyone was staring and pointing at me as if I was a celebrity. I can only imagine what is is like trying 20k worth of wrist metal in the low-class town the Rolls AD is.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're the best, Lavish. My post was sincere. I'd keep the sub. (I'd also add we'd rather see your lavishness not your topless photos - this is a watch forum. But who am I to stop you)
I just wanted to get across that Sean Connery can get away with a 39mm, I cannot. More lavishness from now. I apologise for my saucy photos.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have all kinds of watches but none less than a 41mm face.
I'm a bit confused ... I thought you had a couple 'Rolleys' already, as well as a Patek, all of which are <41mm :-s

https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/dive-watches-how-do-you-wear-yours-793512-5.html#post5786972

I have Rolley's, I have a Patek, but I keep it humble and wear my Seamaster out to the shops.
But regardless I think a Rolex Sub is classic enough that you can pull it off ... No one will mistake it for your mothers watch.

Glad to see you and your wit are back...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Fashion has changed quite a bit from SC's days to now.
Look at the aspect ratio between Daniel Craig's chest/wrist and his watch size.

That said, I detest the Rolex bracelet and on a wide large wrist, the clasp looks ridiculous.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a bit confused ... I thought you had a couple 'Rolleys' already, as well as a Patek, all of which are <41mm :-s
https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/dive-watches-how-do-you-wear-yours-793512-5.html#post5786972

But regardless I think a Rolex Sub is classic enough that you can pull it off ... No one will mistake it for your mothers watch.

Glad to see you and your wit are back...
100% correct. 41mm is my smallest watch size. I have a couple 42mm Rolleys and yes, correct, I have a Patek which is the same.

Any photos of big guys wearing a 40mm watch? 17 inch arms + .

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
100% correct. 41mm is my smallest watch size. I have a couple 42mm Rolleys and yes, correct, I have a Patek which is the same.

Any photos of big guys wearing a 40mm watch? 17 inch arms + .
My mistake ... I guess I assumed you'd be a Calavatra man. Which PP do you have? Aquanaut? Nautilus?

Still, I think the Sub is so classic you wont have an issue. But if you think its an issue now then it always will be an issue in the back of your mind, sort of your version of Poe's Tell Tale Heart. A 47mm Panerai might be a better choice for you - What size wrists do you have?

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Man, you got a big body and big wrist. Get a 44mm panerai or 45mm Omega PO. Those sub are too small on your wrist.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I assumed you'd be a Calavatra man. Which PP do you have? Aquanaut? Nautilus?

Wrist size if more important than arm size ... What size wrists do you have?
PP 5070G 18k white.

I'll measure wrist and get back to you.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Nice. The 5070 is so ... lavish

If you like Rollies, you could go for new Deepsea 116660, 44mm diameter

Or go Blancpain ... the Fifty Fathoms is 45mm and not as ubiquitous as the Rolex.

PP 5070G 18k white.

I'll measure wrist and get back to you.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Maybe take a break mopping the streets so that your guns will shrink ;)

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe take a break mopping the streets so that your guns will shrink ;)
Mopping? or moping?
I own a very very successful business, I certainly do not mop the streets.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Moping or mopping indeed...about as constructive as you comment to my thread newbie

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.