WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Interesting. When I read the description, I thought it was a new movement at first... oh well.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Nice to see an HEQ in the spotlight !

"Dimensions: 26.75 mm (12 - 6 o’clock) x 26.0 mm (3 – 9 o’clock)"

Doesn't sound right ?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Nice to see an HEQ in the spotlight !

"Dimensions: 26.75 mm (12 - 6 o’clock) x 26.0 mm (3 – 9 o’clock)"

Doesn't sound right ?
Those are the dimensions of the movement, not the watch!

You'd think they'd at least put a specially-selected and -calibrated 9F62 movement (with a ± 5 sec./year accuracy specification) into this celebratory watch (and, in fact, they may be doing this, but it is not stated in the somewhat turgid bumf that Seiko has written about this watch). Looks to me like a bog-standard 9F62 movement, standard dial and hands, all ensconced in a 2010-era pillow-style case. If the 4300 Euro (just south of 6 grand US) price tag stated in the thread over at Timezone is correct, I'd say it's overpriced. Still, there is, I guess, the romantic air of the original quartz watch wafting through the scene.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The description is marketing skewed. Outright inaccuracies and optimistic trumpeting. The 9Fxx isn't THAT good.

Let me qualify that I am a die-hard Seiko fan.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Those are the dimensions of the movement, not the watch!

You'd think they'd at least put a specially-selected and -calibrated 9F62 movement (with a ± 5 sec./year accuracy specification) into this celebratory watch (and, in fact, they may be doing this, but it is not stated in the somewhat turgid bumf that Seiko has written about this watch). Looks to me like a bog-standard 9F62 movement, standard dial and hands, all ensconced in a 2010-era pillow-style case. If the 4300 Euro (just south of 6 grand US) price tag stated in the thread over at Timezone is correct, I'd say it's overpriced. Still, there is, I guess, the romantic air of the original quartz watch wafting through the scene.
I think it was written by a mechanical watch guy.... he says it looks like a mechanical watch, obviously thinking that's a compliment!

Do all 9F62s have stepping motors that do two pulses per second and do their seconds hands really line up so perfectly? I've had a couple of them and I don't remember the seconds hands showing any signs of having two pulses OR of perfect alignment...... but my memory may be playing me false.

I'm glad I don't like it because I agree that it's more money than I would want to pay! What is it about rubber bands? I don't see the attraction.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Do all 9F62s have stepping motors that do two pulses per second and do their seconds hands really line up so perfectly? I've had a couple of them and I don't remember the seconds hands showing any signs of having two pulses OR of perfect alignment...... but my memory may be playing me false.
I believe that all 9F-series movements (9F61, 9F62, and 9F83) have this twin-pulse feature. There is a guy over on the Timezone forum stating that this produces a smoother second-hand sweep--like two ticks per second--but this is clearly contradicted by my own experience with a 9F83. I pointed out that when I put my 9F83 right up against a Citizen Chronomaster (oops, a The Citizen), the second hands moved in lock-step (both had been synchronized just before to the NIST clock), showing exactly the same amount and speed of jump each second. He argued further that, in fact, the movement was slower and more nearly-continuous with the 9F. If it is, I absolutely cannot see it. I think the real purpose of the twin-pulse feature is to provide a little more oomph to move the heavier hands of the 9F watches.

As for perfect alignment, I think this is just more marketing bumf. On my SBGT033 (the 40th anniversary 9F83), the alignment is very good over most of the dial, but certainly not perfect, missing a little in a few positions.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I believe that all 9F-series movements (9F61, 9F62, and 9F83) have this twin-pulse feature. There is a guy over on the Timezone forum stating that this produces a smoother second-hand sweep--like two ticks per second--but this is clearly contradicted by my own experience with a 9F83. I pointed out that when I put my 9F83 right up against a Citizen Chronomaster (oops, a The Citizen), the second hands moved in lock-step (both had been synchronized just before to the NIST clock), showing exactly the same amount and speed of jump each second. He argued further that, in fact, the movement was slower and more nearly-continuous with the 9F. If it is, I absolutely cannot see it. I think the real purpose of the twin-pulse feature is to provide a little more oomph to move the heavier hands of the 9F watches.

As for perfect alignment, I think this is just more marketing bumf. On my SBGT033 (the 40th anniversary 9F83), the alignment is very good over most of the dial, but certainly not perfect, missing a little in a few positions.

I wonder if a video test (side-by-side, VERY strong light) will show any difference - I am a man very amused with testing stuff :-d

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I've always thought that the second hand ticking on the 9F GS's was just ever so slightly more smooth than most quartz watches; almost like the second hand is moving through liquid.

I just spent a good 5 minutes staring at an A660 and a 9F, and just as Hans says...it almost looks like the hand is moving slower...like it doesn't quite stop as long as other quartz watches....or maybe I'm just imagining it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The second hand is noticeably smoother in twin pulse mode. Especially more impressive considering the size and heft of that hand compared to say, the Chronomaster.

Seiko did a good job compensating for the inertia of the second hand over its start-stop cycle. This isn't a problem on a light hand.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The second hand is noticeably smoother in twin pulse mode. Especially more impressive considering the size and heft of that hand compared to say, the Chronomaster.

Seiko did a good job compensating for the inertia of the second hand over its start-stop cycle. This isn't a problem on a light hand.
I agree that the mass of the seconds-hand might make a difference, but I also have to mention that in my video tests I have seen some configurations that looked to me like producing more often a video frame with the hand in some motion - suggesting a longer sequence of pulses or bigger 'relaxation times' - the inertia might have been playing a role on SBQJ015 (which has a very long hand, but which does not seem to move any slower than other watches) but I doubt it does on 5E31 which is my smallest watch but which I seem to 'catch' more often moving in a video frame ;-)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Longer sequence of pulses? I don't understand. Do you mean a multi-pulse stepper design? That will be very interesting.

As for the SBQJ, the inertia is similar to most quartz watches. It's slightly longer, but isn't heavy like the ones on the 9F. What you may observe is second hand bounce on longer hands (most quartz clocks suffer noticeably from this) but that has more to do with material rigidity on an impulse driven cantilever.

On a twin pulse, the velocity profile resembles a plateau rather than Mont Blanc (helps reduce the maximum impulse experienced by the hand), and that's what I can pick out by eye on the 9F. They're the smoothest stepper quartz (tick-per-second) I've seen.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Longer sequence of pulses? I don't understand. Do you mean a multi-pulse stepper design? That will be very interesting.

As for the SBQJ, the inertia is similar to most quartz watches. It's slightly longer, but isn't heavy like the ones on the 9F. What you may observe is second hand bounce on longer hands (most quartz clocks suffer noticeably from this) but that has more to do with material rigidity on an impulse driven cantilever.

On a twin pulse, the velocity profile resembles a plateau rather than Mont Blanc (helps reduce the maximum impulse experienced by the hand), and that's what I can pick out by eye on the 9F. They're the smoothest stepper quartz (tick-per-second) I've seen.
Well, the shapes of the electromagnetic pulses that we see at:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1168977

suggest that many of the steppers of the current watches are pulsed in ways that are more complex that it might seem at first - my observation was more along the lines that once the duration of the pulses get over 15ms or so you tend to get far more often the movement of the seconds hand in a single video frame - which I would expect to happen even more often on a 9F and eventually to be visible in a good side-by-side video with a Chronomaster ...

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
OK. That does it! Bring on Catalin and his video camera and let's get to the bottom of this once and for all. :)
There's a Casio digital still camera that can somehow take hundreds, if not thousands, of shots per second. A friend of mine has access to one and I could take some shots of my The Citizens but I haven't got a 9F, so I can't do a comparison.

Maybe some-one who has both watches could beg, borrow or steal one of the Casios? They aren't very expensive. I'll find out the details and post them. Although the length of time for which the camera can shoot at its higher speeds is obviously limited, it would still be the ideal tool for settling the issue at hand.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
It seems odd to be posting a reply to my own reply!
Casio has several of these high speed cameras that shoot 30 or 40 frames per sec as stills or up to 1000 or 1200 frames per sec as movies. Prices from $250 or so up. I just ordered an EX FH 20 that will shoot 40 frames per sec. I want to see the "bouncing" seconds hand on my Chopard but I'll also shoot the seconds hand on The Citizen and the smooth movement on my SD. I've read somewhere that it's not really all that smooth....... we'll see!
Fortunately I can charge the camera to my business, so at least Uncle will contribute to my undoubted delinquency!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts