WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

40th birthday - suggest a watch from 1977?

5K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  vealmike 
#1 ·
Can anyone suggest a nice watch made in 1977?

I'm going to treat myself his year and I like the idea of a watch from 1977 to celebrate my 40th. Of course a Submariner would be nice from that year, but I can't afford it and don't want to spend nearly that much and would be more comfortable spending around £500 / $650.

I've noticed a '70s shaped' Seamaster from '77 that might fit the bill (pic attached) however I'd be interested to hear any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Omega are nice but you might want to take a look at Bulova and Seiko not are easy to date, N7 for bulova
Don't know for seiko but the info is out there

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Reactions: cantona77
#4 ·
It's unfortunate that those 1970s Omega movements (e.g. the cal 1012 that is presumably in that watch) are just not nearly at the same level of quality as the Omega automatic calibers from the late 1950s and 1960s.
Yes, cal 1012. I read this was the last Omega movement made in-house for quite some time. Didn't know they were looked at unfavourablely.... is it a huge gulf between the earlier movements and this one?

#7 · (Edited)
I agree with the seiko or Bulova idea

With a Seiko, you can get one that has your birth month and year. On the seiko you will see a serial number which is 6 or 7 digits. The first digit is the year and the second digit is the month. For example a seiko with a serial number of 720449 is one that was made in Feb or 1977

Here are my two 1977 Seiko watches. The one that is not on the expansion band was made in Feb of 1977 (my birth month and year) the other one was made in march of 1977

The trouble with Omega watches are that even with the serial number, you cannot really tell if it was made in 1977. The serial number chart just gives an approximation.

Attachments

#9 ·
A special watch for a 40th birthday is a great idea.

I got a 40 jewel Beijing SZB-1C Shuangling for my 40th birthday about 10 years ago. It was probably made in the late 1970s, maybe even 1977 but I don't recall seeing any kind of date code on the movement. But it is the only 40 jewel watch that I know of.

(If it appeals to you then the problem would be that you're in the UK and you'd really need somebody in China to scour the markets for a tidy example.)

Since you started with Omega I hesitate to mention Timex, but at least with them you have a reliable date code on the dial, and their style can be very much of their era if that matters to you. Also I understand that Citizen have a date numbering system, and they turned out some classy watches back then.

#12 ·
Since you started with Omega I hesitate to mention Timex, but at least with them you have a reliable date code on the dial, and their style can be very much of their era if that matters to you. Also I understand that Citizen have a date numbering system, and they turned out some classy watches back then.
Thanks I'll have a look at Timex and Citizen

#10 ·
#11 ·
#13 ·
Along with the aforementioned Omega, there's a couple of other watches from 77 for sale:

- The Seiko is not only the same year but also the same month which of course is terrific, however the seller has stated its aftermarket dial and bezel etc. So that puts me off as defeats the purpose really.

- The Swiss Emperor isn't a watch I'd heard of, but a quick search reveals they were pretty popular in the UK in the seventies and very much an unremarkable high st brand.

See what you think? I think I'm still preferring the Omega and just feel it's a shame about the Seiko not being entirely original.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

#15 ·
Yes, but first need to figure out which watch. Having never paid attention to vintage watches before I thought I'd seek suggestions here.

Firstly, it's a good start to build a list to check out and mull over...

So, thanks so far folks for:

bulova N7
IWC Porsche
omega dynamic
seiko bullhead
seiko turtle
timex
citizen

#19 ·
Just to give you an example of a Bulova from 1977,

Date code on the back

I hope you can make out the N7 on the back

Digital might not be your first thought but it was the best cutting edge technology of the day and you can find a good one with box and papers for not much money if you look, as far as reliability in my experience if an aging digital is still running then it's probably going to keep running and they can be serviced to keep the pushers free and they're some of the funkiest 70's watches out there

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Reactions: cantona77
#20 ·
Don't get discouraged about the 1977 redial. A lot of the divers do have redials as these lived a hard life.

Other Seiko watches you might be interested in are the following

Seiko Bullhead
Seiko Bellmatic(has mechanical alarm)
Seiko 6139 Chrono
Seiko 6138 Chrono
Grand Seiko
King Seiko

Even a 1977 Quartz Seiko can satisfy your criteria for a birth year watch. There is nothing that says the watch should be super expensive to buy. Plus in the 1970's the Seiko quartz watch line up was actually more expensive then most of their mechanical lineup (like divers). If you have ever opened up a 1970's Seiko, you will see that it is not like that small @$$ cheapy quartz movement of today. These old quartz watches were large serviceable jeweled movements.

#23 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and advice all.

Today I've been out and about looking in second-hand shops. I really enjoyed the buzz of not knowing what you find and seeing unusual watches and wondering if they're of value. I can see the attraction of vintage watch hunting, having previously to this week only been interested in current watches.

Anyway, here's what I found today. I've discovered that unless it's a Seiko with the handy serial number on the back (incidentally, if anyone sees one starting 79xxxx....), then I'm pretty stuck to finding out the age. What's more, as people have noted here, watches get repainted dials, new hands, bezels etc and, like most of you, I only want 100% original.

So, does anyone has have any info on these?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Gauge

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Gauge Speedometer Measuring instrument Tachometer Auto part

Watch Wrist Material property Hand Finger

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch accessory Buckle

Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery

Watch Fashion accessory Auto part Wrist Metal

#26 ·
The Dynamic looks like a redial. Hard to tell, but it looks like a brushed case, which means it isn't a '77 watch. It's earlier.
The Seamaster looks rather nice.
The Commodore LED watch is a bit of a bargain if all the segments work.

I need to visit the lanes, not been for a few years, but I knew exactly where you were even before I spotted "Brighton" on some of the labels.

I'm guessing they didn't have a 222 then?

#27 ·
Yes, I really enjoyed looking around the jewellers in the lanes. Lots of expensive stuff, as you can imagine.

Thanks for the info. The Seamaster caught my eye, but after some research it seems this was a later 83 model and the mid-late 70s versions were larger with nice steel cases and presumably better movements, although not sure about this last bit.

Since you mentioned the Commodore LED, I looked it up and I'd be tempted if this one had its original bracelet and was boxed and better condition. So, I'll let that one go and keep on with my quest....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.