WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone owns both these watches or has seen them side by side in person? I currently own two SMP 300m's (black dial, blue dial) and I'm thinking of selling or trading the blue dial SMP for a 43mm Planet Ocean on rubber strap. Leaving aside thickness for a moment, does the 43mm PO wear slightly smaller than the SMP, as it is 48mm lug to lug (vs the 50mm of the SMP)? I've a 6.5" wrist, but I do have a 43mm Tag Carrera (16.7mm thick) and an MRG G-Shock in my collection, so chunky watches won't frighten me off completely ;) I know there is a 39mm PO, but for my own personal tastes I think I would find the dial too small. I'm on holidays in France at the moment, so I might pop into the local Omega Boutique to check them out in person, but always interested to hear opinions too. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
PO 43.5 - SD43 - DIVER 300M - PELAGOS
80 Posts
About a year ago I chose the white dial SMP, partly because it looked bigger in the boutique than the black dial. (Currently I wear it on a white Zealande.) I like big (43 mm seems to be my sweet spot and my wrist is 6.75" and super flat.) watches and recently bought a black PLANET OCEAN. I like it so much that I may sell my SMP for a white dial / orange bezel PLANET OCEAN. I personally feel that the PLANET OCEAN wears bigger and I love it. PLANET OCEAN has wrist presence like very few other watches IMO. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
While not exactly the comparison that you're asking for, I have a previous-generation 42 mm Planet Ocean and this is how it looks with the current-generation Seamaster Diver 300 M:

Watch Brown Analog watch Product Clock

Like the Speedmaster, the Planet Ocean has an asymmetric case that incorporates a crown guard on the right side, making it appear a bit smaller when viewed from directly above. On my watch, the bezel is 40.7 mm wide. I know you said to ignore thickness but that is a major influence in how the watch wears on the wrist. Even with the same case diameter of 42 mm on these two watches, the Seamaster Diver feels smaller due to its 2 mm lower height and more rounded shape of the topside as it blends into the sloped bezel.

I adore both watches, with the nod going to the Planet Ocean -- it is my all-time favorite diver watch of any that I've ever owned. I find the Seamaster Diver bezel nearly impossible to grip and turn and legibility of the arrow hands of the Planet Ocean is superior. I consider the the Planet Ocean the more purposeful watch, and the Seamaster Diver to be more of a dressy diver.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tried both several times at Omega and yes, PO, despite 43 vs 42 SMP looks smaller on wrist. And actually in a bad way - smaller and taller. SMP sits way better on wrist IMO

Reactions: crazyotterhound

·
Vendor
Omega/Tudor/Breitling/Grand Seiko/Tag Heuer/Montblanc/Hamilton/Seiko
2,081 Posts
I'm just wondering if anyone owns both these watches or has seen them side by side in person? I currently own two SMP 300m's (black dial, blue dial) and I'm thinking of selling or trading the blue dial SMP for a 43mm Planet Ocean on rubber strap. Leaving aside thickness for a moment, does the 43mm PO wear slightly smaller than the SMP, as it is 48mm lug to lug (vs the 50mm of the SMP)? I've a 6.5" wrist, but I do have a 43mm Tag Carrera (16.7mm thick) and an MRG G-Shock in my collection, so chunky watches won't frighten me off completely ;) I know there is a 39mm PO, but for my own personal tastes I think I would find the dial too small. I'm on holidays in France at the moment, so I might pop into the local Omega Boutique to check them out in person, but always interested to hear opinions too. Thanks in advance.
I'm sorry I missed your thread initially. I was on vacation last week and trying to get caught up on all the subs and happened to see this just now. I hope the below video will help a little bit. I have a preference towards smaller (< 40mm) watches and strongly prefer the 300M (specifically on rubber) over the larger PO for my 6.75" wrist. The blue 39mm PO would be the winner for me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The PO is very top heavy. I think the SMP 300 rubber strap is better integrated than the PO rubber strap. The PO bracelet balances out the watch nicely, but I don't like bracelets. I put my PO on an MN strap and it's perfect. The only challenge is that it does fit under a dress shirt and now that I have to go back into the office, I rarely wear it. One other difference is that the 8900 PO has quickset hours but not date. If you only wear your watch on the weekend, it is a pain to advance through several days to get the date correct.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I would update this old thread, finally got around to buying the Planet Ocean which arrived in the door two days ago:

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

It does indeed wear small lug to lug, but is obviously a thick watch which I don't mind at all as I don't wear a suit to work. The rubber strap is very comfortable indeed. Hope Omega don't release a new model now in January :oops:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Great looking po I think. Best of the latest generation.

Thought I would update this old thread, finally got around to buying the Planet Ocean which arrived in the door two days ago:

View attachment 17052268

It does indeed wear small lug to lug, but is obviously a thick watch which I don't mind at all as I don't wear a suit to work. The rubber strap is very comfortable indeed. Hope Omega don't release a new model now in January :oops:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm sorry I missed your thread initially. I was on vacation last week and trying to get caught up on all the subs and happened to see this just now. I hope the below video will help a little bit. I have a preference towards smaller (< 40mm) watches and strongly prefer the 300M (specifically on rubber) over the larger PO for my 6.75" wrist. The blue 39mm PO would be the winner for me.

I really like the Seamaster Heritage Models. I've been interested in it since they first released it. Unfortunately, I just can't get past the faux Patina. Why? Why oh why does Omega insist on making this the only dial option for everyone of the Heritage watches across all models? It's literally the only reason I have never purchased one.

I get why some people like the fake Patina but does Omega need to shove it down our throats? To each their own but if I want Patina on my watch I want it to be the real thing not a brand new watch that they're trying to make look "Old". It's not old. It's brand new and the fake patina doesn't even come close to what a watch would look like with real patina. Just my opinion but the fake patina makes these watches look like cheap knock offs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts