WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve recently fallen into the rabbit hole of vintage Seikos. I’m still early on in my research and education but I’m interested in picking up a 44KS or 45KS. The 45 is more appealing to me due to the Hi Beat movement but I guess that can be a double edged sword as it may cause more wear and tear in the movement. Not sure if it presents more challenges servicing vs the movement in the 44.

In terms of finding a clean example, I’ve read that Yahoo! Japan auctions is a good place to start. Ebay and Chrono24 seem overpriced. I haven’t seen many listings in the Sales Corner.

I came across a listing for a 45-7001 on Yahoo Japan:

I was hoping to get input from those who are far more knowledgeable than me. The pictures are low res so difficult to assess but the case, crystal, and dial look reasonable to me. The caseback medallion looks remarkably clean so not sure if this is original to the watch. The description says it’s running but -30 spd so it would need service. Any recent experience on getting this model serviced (cost, difficulty finding parts, etc.)? What would be a reasonable price for this watch?

Also, any other models to look at? Ideally want a no date watch as I’ve heard the date mechanism is unreliable and I prefer a symmetric look. GS examples are also on the radar but not sure if the value is there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Seiko,GS,JLC,UG,Takano,Casio,Citizen
48 Posts
Finding parts is difficult since Seiko only keeps parts 10 years from the end of model and KS ended in 1970's. Generally overhaul cost $80 - $350 at local jeweler, but may probably cost more outside of Japan.

56 KS date lever, which is made of plastic, has infamous reputation.

For other models, personally I like 52KS. Seiko's 9s movement in 90's was based on 52 series movement so horologically has significance. I believe current 4R and 6R movement are based on 9s movement as well.

For detail of other models, watch this with English subtitile.

My recommendations are 56KS or 52KS chronometer models.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts