WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've never owned one and have no idea how I'd jive with such a watch I'd like to get my hands on a Sub or similar-style diver homage. Ordinarily I'd just go the Pagani or Parnis route, but they all seem to sport NH3* movements. While these are very fine workhorse movements I'm afraid I've become "that guy"... after starting my collection on a series of mechanical Seikos and SKX mod watches I've moved into German pieces since they offer such excellent value for the money in terms of features, finishing, and Swiss movements. I've owned some cheap DHGate/AliExpress homages in the past that had no-name Asian movements but they all seemed to tick at 21,600; now that I'm used to higher-beat movements I'd like to stay with 28,800 innards.

To that end does anybody have any recommendations? I've tried searching "2130", "28800", "mingzhu" and other such keywords on the usual Chinese sites to no avail. Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It appears that the Sea-Gull Ocean Star is beating at 28,800.
standard editions:

advanced edition:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Since I've never owned one and have no idea how I'd jive with such a watch I'd like to get my hands on a Sub or similar-style diver homage. Ordinarily I'd just go the Pagani or Parnis route, but they all seem to sport NH3* movements. While these are very fine workhorse movements I'm afraid I've become "that guy"... after starting my collection on a series of mechanical Seikos and SKX mod watches I've moved into German pieces since they offer such excellent value for the money in terms of features, finishing, and Swiss movements. I've owned some cheap DHGate/AliExpress homages in the past that had no-name Asian movements but they all seemed to tick at 21,600; now that I'm used to higher-beat movements I'd like to stay with 28,800 innards.

To that end does anybody have any recommendations? I've tried searching "2130", "28800", "mingzhu" and other such keywords on the usual Chinese sites to no avail. Thanks much!
If you are really, really lucky, you might find a Sea-Gull ST7 but it isn't a diver.

·
Registered
892 Posts

If you are talking about Divers,typically you will see a PT-5000 or a ST-2130 movement.
For Sea-gull ST-2130 divers, Tianjin Sea-gull, Hruodland, Octopus, Playshark, Heimdallr & D.Veith do sell them
For PT-5000 movements in divers, San Martin, LUGYOU/Cronos & Hruodland got you covered.

There are some other brands that use Peacock & Hangzhou 28,800 bph movements as well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Try searching for anything using the PT5000. San Martin make a few like the SN002.

Some non-chinese microbrands also use Miyota 90s5 (lorier and Baltic come to mind).

·
Registered
324 Posts
My recommendation is not to get hung up on a 4Hz/28,800bph movement. There are many 3Hz/21,600bph movements that easily outperform the faster ones with respect to time keeping and long term reliability. In fact, some of the best chronometers ever made only have a 18,000bph rate.
I would put up any of my 18,000bph and 21,600bph VCM watches against the current 28,800bph offerings.
This video may put things into perspective for you ...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My recommendation is not to get hung up on a 4Hz/28,800bph movement. There are many 3Hz/21,600bph movements that easily outperform the faster ones with respect to time keeping and long term reliability. In fact, some of the best chronometers ever made only have a 18,000bph rate.
I would put up any of my 18,000bph and 21,600bph VCM watches against the current 28,800bph offerings.
This video may put things into perspective for you ...
I appreciate the sentiment but as I mentioned initially I've owned (and continue to own) watches powered by 3Hz movements and am looking for something different. They don't offend me but if I can get a smoother seconds-hand sweep for not that much more money then that'd be my preference.

To others that answered: I'm checking out D.Veith, Playshark, Baltic, and Iorier now. Thank you all for the help!

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,136 Posts
By the way, forget about Mingzhou (i.e. Dixmont-Guanghou) as they have practically interchangeable 21600 and 28800 bph versions of the same base movements, and even if you correctly pick the fast-beat version (remembering that most sellers and customers are less particular than you), the smoothness you gain from the faster beat may be lost to the indirectly-driven sweep second hand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts