WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spoke to Ernie about posting about this in the forums I frequent and moderate, he was all for it, and I definitely appreciate it :)

My girlfriend and I will be doing the 5 Boro Bicycle Tour on May 2nd which takes us over 40 miles through all 5 boroughs of Manhattan. We chose to do it this year for charity.

Unfortunately most anyone that is reading this most likely knows someone with Autism.

Autism speaks is a fantastic organisation that supports awareness, research, and ultimately striving for ways to prevent this disorder from occurring.

Angela and I have committed to raising at least $1,000 in contributions which are of course tax deductible.

Please support our goal by sponcering our ride to do some real good :-!

The link below is our page where you can donate directly and follow how close we are to our goal:

http://events.autismspeaks.org/tdban.../dougandangela

We plan to write the names of all contributors on the T-Shirt we will be wearing during the ride. My cell phone allows me to video movies and post them up on youtube immediately, so I will try to get a few up as the ride progresses. and of course we will post many photos after.

We definitely appreciate any support, and if you could forward this link along to anyone you feel would be interested in helping, we would definitely be grateful.

Lets raise a lot!!!! Thank you again for any help..... :thanks

PS..Please post in this thread often to keep it bumped to the top. Thanks again.

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didn't want to write a book on the original post, but this is the reason I am doing this.

First of all, this was a very touching note a very good friend of mine wrote to me when he saw we were doing this....

"Hi Doug, as you know my son is considered functionally autistic because he can communicate and is actually able to go to school and succeed academically. However, if you think about your life when you were in 4th grade and all the friends you had and all the games you played, you would realize that a major part of my son’s life is non-functioning. He has no friends to speak of. The only children he plays with are the children of our friends, because the parents see and understand what John’s issues are. He has a hard time understand social cues and doesn’t know how to truly understand other people’s feelings.

All this being said I am truly blessed. My 17 year old nephew and my brother are not so lucky. My nephew is Autistic and does not communicate except in one or two word commands. This is how vast Autism is in its diagnoses. The one thing all parents of Autistic children have in common is the never ending love and desire to see this disease cured. Thank you for doing this"

My cousin has a daughter with Autism as well. She is also functional, and she is a sweetheart. She attends regular school in the general population, unfortunately like my friend said....not many children understand and could be pretty cruel.

With the frequency that Autism gets diagnosed, it needs to be figured out, it needs more awareness, it really needs to be understood.

I definitely want to make clear, whether you decide to donate or not I thank you for taking the time to read all of this. Please do not feel you have to donate, I felt that once we chose this to be the charity I should do my part in trying to reach as many people to accomplish the goal, and also raise awareness about Autism Speaks.

Thanks again :thanks

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hump day Bump! A little over 1/3 of the way there, I appreciate all the support. Every bit helps so much, and I am very grateful for the support :)

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
GO for it Doug! I hope you enjoy the ride. It is a great route.

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GO for it Doug! I hope you enjoy the ride. It is a great route.
Thanks Eeeb :) Did it 2 years ago and had a blast! I love the fact that I could do it for such a great cause.

The great news is thanks to the support of EXTREMELY generous members, we are over 50% to our goal :-!

Thank you :thanks

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great news for anyone following....We hit the $1000 committed goal and bypassed it :-!

The page shows $1170, I also received a check this weekend for $100 PLUS a few more checks expected. So officially we are currently at $1270.

The committed goal was the donation we had to reach, my PERSONAL goal for the organization is to triple it.

If you believe in the organization, believe Autism needs more awareness (it does!) and want to donate, please do.....as I said before....every little bit helps.

The minimum donation on the page is $20. You can also print out the form and mail in a check for ANY amount....even if you want to give a dollar.

I have had a number of members paypal me, I immediately use my Paypal debit card to make the donation for them. If it is less than the $20, and a Paypal donation is made I will print the form, and mail a check out for you.....under that circumstance it could take a number of days for your name to show up.....it definitely will :-!

Last thing is if you choose to make the payment that way, Please let me know how you would like your name listed and whether or not you wanted your donation amount listed. Also if you know someone with Autism and you would like to put it in honor of them, I am happy to oblige.

Thank you again over and over for your generous support. We appreciate it MORE than you know. :thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts