WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone,

What are your thoughts on the 5 digit rolex references, in particular from the late '80s to early '90s?
Namely:
1) 16750/ 16710/ 16700
2) 16800/ 16610
3) 16600/ 16660

Could possibly include the glossy dial 5513s into the mix.

Great potential to inflate in value, compared to the 4 digits.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
In general watches are not the greatest investments. Just wear what you like and enjoy... here's my 16710

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
The 5 digit GMT's have really increased in value the last 2-3 years. I think the SD's may be next (just my opinion). Watches are erratic as investments. Buy them, and enjoy them.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
16610 is the beginning of big annual production. Coupled with a long production life these are going to have a really tough time appreciating.

Everything else is destined to have greater potential collector value in my opinion (lower annual production, shorter production life). For years I've been watching what is for sale on the forums and Ebay. As best as I can tell the path to appreciation is indicated by supplies of watches to buy on the forum and Ebay shrinking. As much as people like new Rolexes, the desire to have a birth year Rolex, rare Rolex Submariner/GMT or a "vintage" Rolex versus supply drives prices.

I bought an early 5512 2 line gilt PCG when they were still fairly easy to find. Bought a 16760, 16660, 168000 and 60s 5513 meters first all when they were still fairly easy to find and cheaper than they are now. Didn't buy as an investment, but bought as watches to wear. As value increases, the amount of wear each watch gets decreases. Buy what you like, but if you want to consider potential investment value watch supply and demand. Doesn't mean a watch is going to go up in value or if it goes up it will stay up in value, which is why you buy what you like, first and foremost.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Do you have any informations about production numbers of 14060? Was it similar to date version or bigger/smaller? I hope it won't appreciate much in the next year before I get it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts