WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this officemate who is into flashing his new stuff that it is so irritating. Let's call him Mr Stupid. I for one am not into showing off my watches but Mr Stupid goes to lengths in sliding up your shirt sleeves just to see what you have on. I did know that one day he's gonna get what coming to him.

One time, the sales team was on a trip to Bangkok as a reward for top sales performance. We were cruising through town and found ourselves in a sea of fake watches of Breitlings, Rolexes, Omegas to name a few at Patpong, Bangkok. He had this brilliant idea of looking and asking around. Mr Stupid even got the nerve to ask this street dealer that he wants the same as what am wearing ( i had my Super Ocean Steelfish on), he even pulled up my arm to show the street guy my watch. Man, i could have decked him right there and then but the other guys held me off and we just moved on. He stayed there waiting and i guess haggling with the street guy.

when we got together for dinner that night, in comes Mr Stupid flashing the widest grin ever and flashing his new "fake" SuperOcean. He went on to relate how he was able to get it for about $25.00 and how the watch looks good. Man, this guy was so stupid that he threw in his Timex to the street guy to get the low price.

he was so into it that we noticed that the watch stopped (he says it is an automatic) so we told him to set the time right. What's the use of having a watch if the time is wrong. So he goes setting the time and giving it a few shakes and got the watch running. After five minutes or so of listening to Mr Stupid, we innocently ask him for the time. He noticed it stopped again, 2 minutes late this time. He set and shaked it again. This went on for about five times throughout dinner, everytime no longer than 5 minutes each time.

He was so red in the face at the watch and went to bang it on the side of the table when the crown and the spring bar went off to the next table. Us guys laugh so hard that the guy huffed and puffed off the hotel cafe.

We had a good laugh till the next morning when we found out he went back to find the street guy and get his Timex and money back. Of course the street guy was gone. This story got back to our office and became the butt of joke for a whole month after.

Moral of the story : Don't be like this guy or get ready to get that stupid grin wiped off your face.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
Great story! Serves him right!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If only every fake lasted just five minutes.

Andy

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
where did you buy your watch and for how much?
just asking since you are a well-traveled man, is it cheaper in Bangkok, Thailand or in the Philippines?
got my SO at the only Breitling AD in Manila, Philippines. they are the biggest here with 15 branches across the country.

with all the fakes in Bangkok, Thailand, i never gambled buying there specially with the high-end brands. too risky and you never get a chance to return to them since by that time am on my way back to Phil. No offense meant to my Thai friends but just making sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Mikko,
Do you get your watches at Lucern. My cousin in Cebu gets all his over there.I'm coming home for a much needed RnR June next year. I want to get one over there if I can get a better deal than here in the States.

>Rolex SS black 16610
>Breitling Super Avenger white dial SS
>Tag Heuer formula 1
>Gucci gold with black alligator strap

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got this officemate who is into flashing his new stuff that it is so irritating. Let's call him Mr Stupid. I for one am not into showing off my watches but Mr Stupid goes to lengths in sliding up your shirt sleeves just to see what you have on. I did know that one day he's gonna get what coming to him.

One time, the sales team was on a trip to Bangkok as a reward for top sales performance. We were cruising through town and found ourselves in a sea of fake watches of Breitlings, Rolexes, Omegas to name a few at Patpong, Bangkok. He had this brilliant idea of looking and asking around. Mr Stupid even got the nerve to ask this street dealer that he wants the same as what am wearing ( i had my Super Ocean Steelfish on), he even pulled up my arm to show the street guy my watch. Man, i could have decked him right there and then but the other guys held me off and we just moved on. He stayed there waiting and i guess haggling with the street guy.

when we got together for dinner that night, in comes Mr Stupid flashing the widest grin ever and flashing his new "fake" SuperOcean. He went on to relate how he was able to get it for about $25.00 and how the watch looks good. Man, this guy was so stupid that he threw in his Timex to the street guy to get the low price.

he was so into it that we noticed that the watch stopped (he says it is an automatic) so we told him to set the time right. What's the use of having a watch if the time is wrong. So he goes setting the time and giving it a few shakes and got the watch running. After five minutes or so of listening to Mr Stupid, we innocently ask him for the time. He noticed it stopped again, 2 minutes late this time. He set and shaked it again. This went on for about five times throughout dinner, everytime no longer than 5 minutes each time.

He was so red in the face at the watch and went to bang it on the side of the table when the crown and the spring bar went off to the next table. Us guys laugh so hard that the guy huffed and puffed off the hotel cafe.

We had a good laugh till the next morning when we found out he went back to find the street guy and get his Timex and money back. Of course the street guy was gone. This story got back to our office and became the butt of joke for a whole month after.

Moral of the story : Don't be like this guy or get ready to get that stupid grin wiped off your face.
dear mikko,
i also have a story regarding fakes but this time, i am the mr. stupid. i was in vietnam and i saw a fake patek that sells for $230 U.S.
i knew it was fake but it was a really nice looking fake, so i bought it.
when i went back home, i went to a watch store to find out if the watch store will notice if the patek is not genuine. they said, it is an original. I went to a watch repair man, he said, it is a fake (i already know it's a fake). Then, i went to a jewelry store to test the case of the watch, to see if the watch case is pure gold or just gold plated, the jewelry store tested it and they said, the case is 10 karat gold and it is not gold-plated, it is solid gold but only 10 karat.
Now, i noticed that the watch is running fast, so i wanted to adjust it myself. I opened the back (i wasn't afraid if i will ruin the movement since i know it is a fake anyway) and adjusted the movement myself and by doing so, broke something (I think, it is the mainspring) because now, the watch is not running at all. bye bye 230 dollars, all because of my stupidity. (twice for that matter, once for buying the fake patek and the other for fixing the watch myself).
moral of the story: don't be stupid like me

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hi, yep, i get them from Lucerne or Chronos (same owner though) he says the Lucerne store is the complete super luxury store with brands like Patek, A. Lange&Sohne, Panerai, Hublot, Graham, Breguet, Zenith, JLC, DJR as well as the mainstays Rolex/Tudor, Breitling, Omega, IWC, RW, Edox, etc. while the Chronos store if the luxury store that only carry the mainstay brands.

hope this helps, kabayan :)

Hey Mikko,
Do you get your watches at Lucern. My cousin in Cebu gets all his over there.I'm coming home for a much needed RnR June next year. I want to get one over there if I can get a better deal than here in the States.

>Rolex SS black 16610
>Breitling Super Avenger white dial SS
>Tag Heuer formula 1
>Gucci gold with black alligator strap

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:oops: batg, so sorry, didn't mean to label people who bought fakes as st_pid, just this officemate of mine who really pisses me off.

hope you're ok now, 230 dollars is still a lot of cash, if you're ever in the Philippines, i'll steer you for a good deal (and some cash saved) at my AD :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
:oops: batg, so sorry, didn't mean to label people who bought fakes as st_pid, just this officemate of mine who really pisses me off.

hope you're ok now, 230 dollars is still a lot of cash, if you're ever in the Philippines, i'll steer you for a good deal (and some cash saved) at my AD :)
Dear mikko,
don't worry, no offense taken from you, but i was stupid to buy the fake and i admit it. the problem with other people is that, they know they were stupid at one point in their life and they refuse to admit it. what do you call them? stupidier or stupidiest? is there such a word? more stupid than stupid? cheers:-!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
batg, tell me about it ... this officemate of mine came in again yesterday with another fake Breitling with color combo right out of a crayon box. he went the rounds showing off his new find he got from Greenhills market(fake brands mall in Manila) and had the audacity to say its the new B model. this guy will never learn.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi, yep, i get them from Lucerne or Chronos (same owner though) he says the Lucerne store is the complete super luxury store with brands like Patek, A. Lange&Sohne, Panerai, Hublot, Graham, Breguet, Zenith, JLC, DJR as well as the mainstays Rolex/Tudor, Breitling, Omega, IWC, RW, Edox, etc. while the Chronos store if the luxury store that only carry the mainstay brands.

The owner is the Yao family. Ask for Emerson Yao, he'll take care of you though he frequents the Glorietta Makati and Megamall stores more than the Cebu stores I guess. You can also get the "Lucerne" The Connoissseurs Guide to Fine Watches (which he edits and publishes) they've got some good material on movements, watch brands and models featured.

hope this helps, kabayan :)
mikko,
Thank you for the information. I will surely visit at least one of Emerson Yao's highend watch store next year. Btw how do you guys tolerate Mr. Stupid walking around you office acting like a moron.Does he wear fake clothes as well like Lacoste or Polo RL? I bet he does...funny.:-d

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mikko,
Thank you for the information. I will surely visit at least one of Emerson Yao's highend watch store next year. Btw how do you guys tolerate Mr. Stupid walking around you office acting like a moron.Does he wear fake clothes as well like Lacoste or Polo RL? I bet he does...funny.:-d
you know the comic relief (clown) in some movies, he's kinda like that but instead of comedy, he kinda pisses everyone off. we just ignore him at times. you're right on the dot, Patpong Bangkok Lacoste seems to populate his wardrobe.

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Had a funny fake story last winter. Working in Baghdad Iraq, two co-workers not into watches bought fakes in various markets (they were everywhere in the International Zone, particularly "breitling" fakes).

One bought a Rolex fake, the other a Breitling. The Rolex was broken within hours of the purchase (after the moron who bought it went trying to "show it off"). Ironically, the Breitling fake performed well for about a month (even being worn working construction!) until one function ceased. Still told time though. Had a sort of decent style to it (sort of 80's Chronomat), but nothing quite like anything Breitling has ever produced.

Gentlemen: It is unwise to post openly the names of dealers who substantially discount Breitling. While the practice may be more common in some parts of the world, I have seen retailers pressured by Breitling to end the practice. If they want to sell the line, Breitling can indeed exert pressure to stop the great deals (if they don't know, they can't do anything, now can they!).

And yes, it has been proven in the past that representatives of the company (both Breitling SA and Breitling USA) have at times read and been aware of what is going on on the forums.

Personally, I think all the fakes out there cheapen the brand far more than a few discounting AD's, but I suppose they see it in the light of what they can "easily control".

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
mikko,
Kabayans,

While we who may be more privileged than the rest can laugh at those who wear "fake" clothing, these are the people who are actually the backbone of our economy...without them life would be tremendously harder for us. So I wouldn't feel stupid or moronic wearing "fake" clothing because I do have some. Besides, how could clothing ever be "fake"?

If anyone is to blame for "fake" clothing, it is only the real manufacturers who advertise the "you are better if you wear this" kind of mentality, and our 400 years of colonization to retard our mentality into one that is still colonial.

I don't buy replica watches because I don't see the quality and durability, but I wouldn't frown on others who do so because they simply want to feel good about themselves and perhaps are on a shoe string budget and wouldn't know any better that they are funding an industry that promotes replication. We live in a land where those who own the most expensive cellphones take jeepneys going home, where your last name counts, where the color of your skin is the judge of your character, where everyone is supposedly "connected" and where the truth is mostly hidden and repressed. Things can get pretty insane around here and we all have to deal with it everyday, I know you guys know and experience this on a daily basis.

I've encountered such individuals as your Mr. S and I just try to get along with him/her or try to tolerate or help out. Mind you, I don't know everything nor do I profess to, so please bear with me if you find my post offensive, but I just cannot get myself to call someone plain stupid since I would be a hyprocrite if I did so. Everyone gets stupid once in a while.

Kaibigan,
Glimmer

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Your last sentence, I agree with 100%. The rest of the post, not so much.

The subject matter as I read it dealt with poseurs, fakers, who'd try to "impress" someone with their (Who the hell really cares, let alone is impressed!) "expensive" watch. Trouble was, it wasn't an "expensive" watch at all. Which is only important because said poseur tried to make it important. If he'd had a real (Breitling, Rolex, Patek! It matters not) on his wrist, he might've been likely to enjoy it, ignore the opinions of those around him, and get on with the business at hand.

Personnally, I'd "feel a lot better about myself" with a nice Seiko, or even a Timex or a G Shock that wasn't pretending to be something it wasn't. But honesty has a tangible value in my book (that is part of the problem many of us have with these poseur's, it is simply dishonest!).

No one was cutting down lower wage folk who can't afford a costly Swiss watch (I've been one myself). They were cutting down an arrogant poseur who was trying to gain "prestige" (interesting side note, check the official definition of that word!) by passing some cheap piece of crap off as a genuine fine timepiece. Dishonest at it's core.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
The subject matter as I read it dealt with poseurs, fakers, who'd try to "impress" someone with their (Who the hell really cares, let alone is impressed!) "expensive" watch.
This is exactly my point, T-Bone. Who cares, so why bother getting worked up about it?

Trouble was, it wasn't an "expensive" watch at all. Which is only important because said poseur tried to make it important. If he'd had a real (Breitling, Rolex, Patek! It matters not) on his wrist, he might've been likely to enjoy it, ignore the opinions of those around him, and get on with the business at hand.
Perhaps said person is not a WIS, let alone as "sophisticated" as we are. Some are not just as "cool" as others but that's not a crime nor a sin.

Personnally, I'd "feel a lot better about myself" with a nice Seiko, or even a Timex or a G Shock that wasn't pretending to be something it wasn't. But honesty has a tangible value in my book (that is part of the problem many of us have with these poseur's, it is simply dishonest!).
I don't know if I'm getting too clinical about this, but somehow this poseur mentality is a symptom of a deeper problem which may be the root of all this...but I wouldn't exactly call him dishonest. Perhaps a bit arrogant, a bit misguided, perhaps off the deep end, but not dishonest. Maybe the guy was severely deprived in his childhood or something, therefore the need to satisfy himself by posing. I wouldn't however ridicule a person like that.

No one was cutting down lower wage folk who can't afford a costly Swiss watch (I've been one myself). They were cutting down an arrogant poseur who was trying to gain "prestige" (interesting side note, check the official definition of that word!) by passing some cheap piece of crap off as a genuine fine timepiece. Dishonest at it's core.
And I didn't imply that. I have been on the short end of the financial stick too and I work hard to acquire my watches. But the "stupid" comments were just too abrasive, in my opinion.

I just felt that there was a flash of elitism that in my opinion, WIS/watch collecting folk who can afford genuine Swiss watches, real Lacoste and Ralph Lauren shirts, should never display. At least not in a public forum.

I agree that arrogant poseurs and pretenders are social climbers, but what about those who cut them down?

I always say that people are not born dishonest, good or evil. We were all born like an empty canvass. What we become in our later years all depends on our surroundings and environment. The painting that the canvass eventually will show depends on who throws what paint color, etc. We eventually will all die in the same state as we were born.

If those fake watches weren't out there then perhaps there wouldn't be as many poseurs as there are now. I am a musician too and play the guitar regularly. I see a lot of "poseurs" who try to pass off as real guitarists on stage but try to pull it off by their stage moves, showmanship, and nice beautiful guitars, those who are too lazy to practice. Eventually their inept skills are weeded out and they fail at their craft.

I guess it takes a lot of patience and experience meeting these poseurs to develop a deeper understanding of why they behave this way. But then, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I respect yours, T Bone.

Glimmer

1 - 20 of 36 Posts