WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! I am going to take the 'plunge' and get one of these two beauties. I have looked long and hard and narrowed it down to these two. Not interested in other choices, although i know there are many fine dive watches out there.

As far as i know both of these watches have a good reputation and interesting history. For those of you more experienced than I, can you please comment on which watch would be your preference based on the following priority:
  1. Quality - case/movement/chrystal etc
  2. Design/Appearance
  3. Durabilty
  4. Value (the IWC lists in Canada @ 20K; The Blancpain @ 29K) although both can be had substantially discounted)

:thanks

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
First let me say, I'm a huge Aquatimer fan, much more so than with any FF. However, with these two as the only choice, I'd have to take the FF. For some reason, IWC really missed the mark with this one.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Agreed. I'd go with the FF. I can't say from personal experience, but I doubt you'd see much of a quality or durability difference between the watches, so it's down to looks for me and, while I usually like the Aquatimers, that one leave me rather cold.

Personally, I'd go SS for either watch for both looks and durability. Though the gold does look nice too.

·
Registered
540 Posts
IMO:

I think quality, durability, and value are going to be near equal on both. Both are extremely high quality finished with great attention to detail. Even with an in house movement, I have trouble saying a $20k+ watch has value. :-d I guess the IWC could be argued to have better value given the lower pricepoint and additional complication.

For me, it comes down more to design, but my thoughts are:

BB FF:
- cleaner design makes for a more timeless piece
- better power reserve
- I prefer non-chrono pieces for my daily wear as it's easier to read at a glance.
- rounded sapphire bezel is a work of art

IWC:
- display back
- dial depth - I like the multilayer dial but am not a fan of the wave/checkerboard pattern used.

I'd go for the BP, but with full disclosure, I recently (few months ago) sold off a chunk of my collection for a SS FF and for the first time in 3 or 4 years, feel like I'm off the WIS roller coaster. I wear my FF just about every day and am considering liquidating the rest of my pieces that just don't see wrist time anymore. The proportions and sum of the BP FF are so good that the watch just feels right to me.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
sorry but that chrono looks gawd-awful.

the BP is the easy pick, but i prefer it the SS too. and if it were only a few MM smaller, i'd have bought one on the bracelet - pricey as heck though.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
50 Fathoms in stainless steel: classic, clean design and always wearable.

Steve
Fine watches are like diamonds for men

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
sorry but that chrono looks gawd-awful.

the BP is the easy pick, but i prefer it the SS too. and if it were only a few MM smaller, i'd have bought one on the bracelet - pricey as heck though.
+1 for sure. :-!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I WISH I had your dilemma, as both are very nice, but of the two I'd take the BP.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I've tried them both on a number of times, I found the RG Aquatimer Chrono to be a far more interesting and functional looking piece. I know you don't want any other suggestions, BUT you might consider the JLC MC Diving Chrono in RG or the ne SEALs version. Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts