WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I just graduated from nursing school with a BSN, its my second degree. Its always been a tradition in my family to get a watch when you graduate. The issue I'm having is Nebraska doesn't really have that great of a selection of watches. Any help would be appreciative. Maybe even just what you'd buy yourself if you had a spare 500. I kind of want to branch out. About a year ago I did a lot of research on stuff but I lost everything, and can't remember some of the cool brands I found in the same price range.

A big second hand is a much and lume is very important because I'm usually only awake when it's dark out.

Really any help would be great.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If you like divers, either Squale or Steinhart are good options. If you're looking for something more dressy-ish, then Seiko SARB. Chr. Ward has a bunch of options at this level, too.

Congratulations and good luck!

·
Registered
19,861 Posts
What do you want ? Swiss, Japan or Asian brands ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Seiko Sumo. Comes in Black, Blue, or Orange(rubber strap only on this model)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I picked up an Orient Star for about that much, and I love it. Lume is pretty good on this model though I will admit I don't check it when its dark too much.
1121498d1371254601-finally-happened-dsc02199-small-.jpg

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hello everyone. I just graduated from nursing school with a BSN, its my second degree. Its always been a tradition in my family to get a watch when you graduate. The issue I'm having is Nebraska doesn't really have that great of a selection of watches. Any help would be appreciative. Maybe even just what you'd buy yourself if you had a spare 500. I kind of want to branch out. About a year ago I did a lot of research on stuff but I lost everything, and can't remember some of the cool brands I found in the same price range.

A big second hand is a much and lume is very important because I'm usually only awake when it's dark out.

Really any help would be great.

Thanks guys.
Congratulations, first of all,

Second, before i make any recommendations, I have to ask some questions:

what do you want and what do you plan to use it for? Do you plan to use it every day at work or is it a dressy/going out to dinner off shift kind of watch?

You are going to be a nurse, so is accuracy a major issue? If so, get a quartz. I mean it, i know some WUS members are going to throw tomatoes at me but a mechanical is not as reliable or accurate as a quartz, and COSC type mechanicals are going to be very expensive.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Depending on where you stand regarding homage designs; I would suggest the Steinhart Ocean or the Seiko Sumo

But having own both watches multiple times, I am inclined to say the Steinhart is probably better value per $ for $500.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Second degree?! That's 2 more than I have and I'm supersmart; you must be some sort of genius! Congrats.

Good lume, eh? Checked out tritium watches? Deep Blue have some in budget.

·
Registered
178 Posts
With some of the discount coupons out there you might be able to buy a Christopher Ward C60 or C61, which would be my choice.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The new Prospex shrouded Kinetic GMT diver look pretty awesome. Sumo is a good choice too.

For a Swiss Auto watch for $500, I love Steinhart's Rolex homages. The Ocean Vintage GMT and Ocean Vintage Military are so cool looking but I hear lume is not the best on that brand.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
sumo, seiko's baby tuna or steiny diver are all superb choices. Best of luck with your RN endeavors.

·
Registered
31,361 Posts
Might also want to look at some Citizen Eco-Drive models.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you want ? Swiss, Japan or Asian brands ?
Swiss wouldn't be bad, but I'm positive i purchased a fake tissot last year so I want to try and stay away from them. I have the two citizens but I kind of want to branch out from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you like divers, either Squale or Steinhart are good options. If you're looking for something more dressy-ish, then Seiko SARB. Chr. Ward has a bunch of options at this level, too.

Congratulations and good luck!
Thanks man. haha naturally I gravitate towards the squals way out of my range.

is it just chr. or is that short for something?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congratulations, first of all,

Second, before i make any recommendations, I have to ask some questions:

what do you want and what do you plan to use it for? Do you plan to use it every day at work or is it a dressy/going out to dinner off shift kind of watch?

You are going to be a nurse, so is accuracy a major issue? If so, get a quartz. I mean it, i know some WUS members are going to throw tomatoes at me but a mechanical is not as reliable or accurate as a quartz, and COSC type mechanicals are going to be very expensive.
Definitely wont want to wear it to work. With the amount of potential manual lifting and or combative patients I'd rather have something less important on my wrist. Originally I was going to get a suunto vector/core/quest but then thought better. I just wear a timex ironman everyday.

Really its just going to be a casual wear thing. I won't have to worry about accuracy too much because I'll just be wearing it on days that I'm not working.

Really the only hopes I have are if I'm out at a bar or something a fellow watch enthusiast will know that I am one as well and we can strike up a conversation. Which has happened before. even though we were both only wearing teir 4 brands(citizen, hamilton).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts