WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a watch fan. however, since joining the forum i've been appraised (couldn't resist) as to my lack of knowledge. that said. if you had $500 to spend and you wanted a big, bracelet style watch ( i go about 235 lb) what would be some good choices.

currently have an ESQ chrono i got for $95 ten years ago and it still paces that bell & ross on the home page. i confess to wanting a tag--but those formula 1 series don't look like much for the money. seiko seems like a big bang for the buck. what about
mondaine or victorinox or luminox or debaufre or a lower end oris?
thanks

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Not to sound rude, but this question (down to the dollar amount) is asked quite often. If you search for "$500" and use the "search titles only" option it will bring up many different threads you can browse. What kind of watch do you want? Diver, Dressy, Chrono, Military, Pilot?

·
Registered
522 Posts
One place you could look that might help you is to go to Amazon, under men's watches. Then go to the smart buy page which list the watches that their customers rated the most highly.

Then click on the price range you want - say 500, and click on the options box which will give you choices like say best selling. You can then go through as many pages as you like/or have time.

If I had 500 to go into watches, I'd get a blue Mako (41/12mm case) which can be worn with a suit but also for diving at 200m. It's automatic, with a good record. It's stainless steel with a beautiful blue dial.

Then I'd add a Black Monster which has a great bracelet, and fantastic lume. The 7s26 movement is not as accurate, but you don't get this watch for accuracy. 42/14mm case I think, with 200m is an excellent all around watch.

Then, with the left over cash, there is a 45/12mm case Seiko kinetic chrono that has a gold SS case and bracelet, sapphire crystal, 100m, tach, day/date, alarm, dual timer, and more but it's kind of busy, but you might like it. MSRP 695 price 199.

This would get you 3 excellent watches for around 500. You could also sub a G shock for one of the above choices. They are very rugged, and accurate/Atomic time, solar, digital, 200m.

Lastly, Invicta has a good selection of bigger watches in the 100 to 299 range. They give you a lot of bang for the buck, but have a reputation for customer service and quality control problems. I've never had one, but I'm in the hunt for one.

Keep preaching. Good luck with you choice/choices.
sloan:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I recently purchased a Debaufre GMT Ocean-1 watch and have been very pleased. That model is over $500 now with their price increase, but the Ocean-1 is still within your budget. I think it's a great looking watch if you like the Sub-homage look and I was very impressed with the quality, look, and feel of my watch upon receiving it.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Hi rev.
I think the Steinhart/Debaufre suggestion above is sound advice.
You should look into Hamilton and Seiko as well.
I always tell ppl. their 500 (any amount) goes much farther if they can find a mint pre-owned watch on the forums as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Hi rev.
I think the Steinhart/Debaufre suggestion above is sound advice.
You should look into Hamilton and Seiko as well.
I always tell ppl. their 500 (any amount) goes much farther if they can find a mint pre-owned watch on the forums as well.
Agree. 2 recent pre-owned purchases have made me a believer in checking for a solid pre-owned watch. There will always be something that has to be new, but the reality is you can get really good deals on watches that are near mint. That may require patience at times though, not something many of us seem to have mastered.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've always been a watch fan. however, since joining the forum i've been appraised (couldn't resist) as to my lack of knowledge. that said. if you had $500 to spend and you wanted a big, bracelet style watch ( i go about 235 lb) what would be some good choices.

currently have an ESQ chrono i got for $95 ten years ago and it still paces that bell & ross on the home page. i confess to wanting a tag--but those formula 1 series don't look like much for the money. seiko seems like a big bang for the buck. what about
mondaine or victorinox or luminox or debaufre or a lower end oris?
thanks
Just too let you know rev, the Tag F1 (new style) is a Fantastic watch!
I had 2 of them (sold 1) and i Beat the heck out of it:rodekaart And it still Looked Good and Worked Perfectly! |> Only problem is they are over your $500 (list new):think: I would recommend looking at your local Dealer/Store and see what you like,and what feels good on your wrist First. Then if its out of your limit check the forum/net for a good pre-owned:-!
Good Luck

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I recently purchased a Debaufre GMT Ocean-1 watch and have been very pleased. That model is over $500 now with their price increase, but the Ocean-1 is still within your budget. I think it's a great looking watch if you like the Sub-homage look and I was very impressed with the quality, look, and feel of my watch upon receiving it.

If you want everyone to think you are wearing a Rolex Sub at first glance and then realize it isn't. Not that you should own a Rolex, there are lots of great watches in this price range. But this looks like a wannabe watch to me, IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts