WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from Canada.. whoooo filthy night to fly. Transited in Minneapolis and while waiting I saw a December edition of Watchtime mag in one of the waiting lounge shops. On page 58 there is a 3/4 page introduction to the new 5000T with a couple of photos. As I looked closer at the photos I suddenly realized that they are of both my Conquistadors..... hot diggidy dog. It was so cool :-! I'm just standing there grinning like an idiot and wanting to tell someone that I own both these watches and not just one of a series but 1 of 1 for the new one and 1 of 2 for the vintage. Man, talk about a buzz. Right up there with seeing pictures of the book in the magazines previously. Kinda nice having a nanosecond of fame even when no-one but me knows about it :)

Pete

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hey Pete

I saw that ad a few days ago. Nice little write up. I think the mag also had a 1000t ad as well, but I can't remember if it was another mag.

Any info to share about the pending 2007 tgraph? Things are pretty mum. :)

Regards
Scott

Just got home from Canada.. whoooo filthy night to fly. Transited in Minneapolis and while waiting I saw a December edition of Watchtime mag in one of the waiting lounge shops. On page 58 there is a 3/4 page introduction to the new 5000T with a couple of photos. As I looked closer at the photos I suddenly realized that they are of both my Conquistadors..... hot diggidy dog. It was so cool :-! I'm just standing there grinning like an idiot and wanting to tell someone that I own both these watches and not just one of a series but 1 of 1 for the new one and 1 of 2 for the vintage. Man, talk about a buzz. Right up there with seeing pictures of the book in the magazines previously. Kinda nice having a nanosecond of fame even when no-one but me knows about it :)

Pete

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm just standing there grinning like an idiot and wanting to tell someone that I own both these watches and not just one of a series but 1 of 1 for the new one and 1 of 2 for the vintage.
Pete, no disrespect meant and hopefully none taken, but I've seen a lot of new Doxas coming your way and I wondered if you were just reviewing them, buying them, or being given them for free by Rick/Doxa? Just curious, tell me to beg off if it's none of my beeswax.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pete, no disrespect meant and hopefully none taken, but I've seen a lot of new Doxas coming your way and I wondered if you were just reviewing them, buying them, or being given them for free by Rick/Doxa? Just curious, tell me to beg off if it's none of my beeswax.
hey pete now that some one else has brought it up i always meant to congradulate you on getting the conquistador 5000t.there is no one more deserving in my book.i don't know if doxa charged you for it but i hope it was a gift. :-!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian, bugger off, none of your business :)

Na, really, I don't particularly want to detail the spending thousands of dollars on watches on a forum where my Mrs could see. People say food and sex is over-rated but I'm not so sure;-)

The simple answer is I've bought some, been loaned some and been given the 2 most spectacular watches Doxa ever made. Actually that reminds me, I still have the 1000T sitting in it's tube ready to go back to them. I was going to send it back last week but since I just bought the Superocean (please don't tell the wife) :-x I'll hang on to it a bit longer and do a comparison review of all the HRV watches I have.

Too many watches, not enough money :-d

Pete

·
Registered
527 Posts
The simple answer is I've bought some, been loaned some and been given the 2 most spectacular watches Doxa ever made.
Well I didn't mean to pry, just morbid curiosity. Been a long time since I saw your book - I still have my signed first edition, if you can remember back that far? Wondered if my blueprint illustration was in the new one or if it was cut?

Enjoyed seeing your pics of the Cussler convention - good to put a face to the name. Cheers!

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Well I didn't mean to pry, just morbid curiosity. Been a long time since I saw your book - I still have my signed first edition, if you can remember back that far? Wondered if my blueprint illustration was in the new one or if it was cut?

Enjoyed seeing your pics of the Cussler convention - good to put a face to the name. Cheers!
Brian,

It made it, page 105 to be exact. See I told you guys I keep my copy handy.;-)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

No problem Brian. Yep your blueprint is in the final version and looks very sexy indeed on glossy paper. The final book turned out amazing. You should get a look at one sometime.

Pete

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds a lot like "you should buy one.." ;-)
Absolutely not Brian. I wouldn't even recommend people buy my stuff. I'm a lousey salesman;-) The book sells because of the info in it and the way Greg enhanced it, certainly not because my name is on it. You have the review edition so effectively you have the majority of info that is in it. I'm just saying that you should see how it turned out some time because as I've said before, the version you have is like a Haynes car repair manual compared how spectaculary good the final version came out, and your blueprint is in it.

There was only 1000 of them printed and there may not ever be any more. Sure it is possible to reprint them and sell them for ever, but I'm maybe leaning towards. 1000 ... that's it. No more. Eventually I could do an update on the book with new information and a revision, but it wouldn't be the 40th Anniversary edition. They would stay limited. I'll make a decision as we get closer to the end of the run. I don't know how many are left but I do know that the 300 Doxa sent me to sign in the big box are near the bottom. Actually I now have to almost climb into the box to get the books out.

Pete

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Brian, I'll say this. I have what was once known as "The Ultimate Edition", it was after the review version you have, but before the official version was pressed (some pics were expected to be unavailable for the actual published version).

Bottom line, there is enough difference in even these two that it is worth owning copies of both (to me anyway). The final product really is spectacular. You really should try to at least get a look at one some day!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts