WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I'm not quite at 5000 posts so I'm starting a contest which will end when I hit 5000 posts. The winner takes home a very nice watch. First, the rules:

The contest will be decided by posts to this thread. You may have one entry. multiple entries will be ignored.

This is a watch of significant monetary value (to me, anyway), so the intent is not to give it to some Yabo who will immediately flip it for some easy cash. Your entry must convince me that you are a collector, that you value watches, that you're not a flipper, and this watch fits into your collection. I will check your past posts so don't bother applying if you don't qualify. Serious bonus points are earned by long term participation on WUS, previously documented interest in this watch or something similar, and having a collection that this watch would fit into well. Pleading poverty, student status, etc will earn negative points. I reserve the right to cancel the contest if there aren't enough serious entries.

The other rule is you have to guess what day I pass 5000 posts. The closest entrant that has a worthy post wins the watch.

I'll close for entries at around 4800. I'll then pick the 5-10 top entries and open it up to a poll for ranking by the members.

The top 3 will be checked against the 5000 post date to pick the winner. If there is a tie on the date, the higher ranked entry wins.

Note the following: you only can have one post, but you can edit your post.

So, what watch am I giving away?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Let the contest begin!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Wow that is one seriously generous give-away! I don't really meet some of the criteria like not being a long term member and documented interest. So im not gonna play but just wanted to say congrats on the upcoming 5k and this is pretty damn nice of you. Great watch. Great gift. I can't imagine a collection that this wouldn't fit in to. Just for fun, I'm going to say January 18th.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Lol i dont really fit the criteria to enter this competition so all i am going to say is a big congratz! on your 5000th post and you are a very generous man to be giving away such a watch! I could never do such a thing, the sheer thought that the winner would just flip the watch for profit would bug me pretty badly.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I don't fit the criteria either. However, my guess is "On Christmas day, 2015" OP will reach 5000th post.
I will do something similar when I win the lottery.. :)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Very nice gesture. Even though I am not participating, I can't stay away from the guessing part. I pick November 11, 2015. ;-)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This was one of the first watches I lusted after and tried so hard to chase down but just couldn't find a used on for sale back then. That must have been 2 years ago but I still have fond memories of chasing this one. I'm not participating as I think there are many more newcomers that deserve this more than me. Also I've gotten over that initial fear of spending a large sum of money on a watch, which I know would prevent others from splurging on something like this. You sure are a true WUS and a gentleman for having this contest!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
December 1st for you to pass 5k posting. It happens to be b-day of my younger son so it is good. :)

That damasko is pretty!

That said, I officially qualified myself as a flipper but I haven't flipped a watch in 2 years.. :) Figure that.. I guess I like my current collection.

Reactions: Will_f

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'll go with December 18, 2015.
As far as the watch goes, I'm a documented fan of Damasko, in fact I've posted in the Damasko forum even though I don't own one. I became a fan of the brand after visiting Timeless Luxury Watches and trying a few models on. See the photos below for photographic evidence:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

I think your watch hits a balance between sporty and formal, something missing from my tool watch heavy collection.
I rarely wear my father's Datejust for fear I'll damage it and my JS Watch Co. 101 serves as my "dress" watch. Outside of those two, everything in my watch box is a sport watch.
I'm not a flipper. I've only ever sold one watch and now I'm contemplating the exact same model watch with a different colored dial.
I am definitely of the collector/hoarder variety. Your Damasko would be put into my regular rotation and worn with great pleasure.
Thanks for the opportunity. It's very generous of you to give away such a nice piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.thewatchquest.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well If I were smart I would not reply to this post until your post count reaches 4999 but alas I didn't think of that...

So I will guess... Since you must have made on average about 20 posts per week since Jul 2011 my maths say we are looking at say 20 weeks from now.. minus a few weeks because new members may not comment so much as those with advice to share like yourself who will comment more.. It will go down on 1st Jan 2016...

In regards to the watch, I cannot say it's been on my radar since I'm so new to this business most watches I am yet to discover.. However I am eager to build a solid array of watches to enjoy and cherish..My small current collection has been documented in at least one my past posts..

It's a nice watch..very kind of you to offer up a prize like this mate :)

Good luck all,

Henry

·
Registered
314 Posts
Awesome contest! Damasko is one brand that is on my oh so long list of watches to get lol. My post count isn't necessarily impressive, but I try to contribute. If I may, I'll throw out a guess of December 4th of this year.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Will, its very generous of you to have this giveaway (you should seriously reconsider if you posted this thread in an intoxicated state of mind).

But I like a good puzzle. And I have a scientific bent of mind (like you). In the last 6 days, you have made 11, 8, 9, 14, 15 and 11 posts each (mean = 11.33). I can go further back but WUS messes up the dates (1 week ago, 2 weeks ago, etc.) - strangely more than a month back is okay still so I can dig those up later and edit this post. Your average number of posts/day since you joined in July 2011 is 2.99/day (really admirable how active you have stayed). Some of the recent flurry of activity is due to threads started by you (you bought a bracelet, you are testing if Damaskos corrode in salt water, etc.) and without any external information, I can't really predict how actively you will create new threads in the future, but certainly less than the last one week (though I think the existence of this thread will cause you to post a few times more than you would have). You are 443 posts away, going at your global mean of 3 posts/day it will take you 5 months but at the rate of the last 1 week you should reach there in only 39 days, (which is October 12), but I expect you to slack off a bit but pick up again at the end. So I stick with an estimate of October 21.

Now the other part - I already own a Damasko (its my avatar since a while) - they are lovely watches as you will agree. If I were to somehow get your Damasko 36, I wouldn't be able to keep two of them (my core collection is just 3-4 watches and I don't want it any higher), and since I could never sell yours, I would have to lose my beloved DA44. This would not be in vain however, as I would then put the funds towards a grail - probably 'the scientist's watch' <Milgauss> in time for graduation. But you may not consider that 'fair use' (I am in if you do), otherwise I wish some very lucky other member best of luck.

See you at the 5k posts (I think I'll get there faster).

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Wow. Fantastic giveaway! I cannot recall a watch of price bracket being given away, so you're to be commended for your generousity! I hope your Damasko goes to a great home.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I have yet to flip a watch. But if I win, I will return the favor/pay it forward and give away my Mido Ocean Star (a lesser piece, no doubt, but still a good watch) to somebody who guesses when I hit 1000 posts (a lesser achievement, no doubt). I have been eyeing Damasko for a while, especially since I am a German watch fanboy (one incoming; Sinn, Damasko, GO, and Muhle Glashutte all have places in my top 10 wants).

How about 17 December 2015​.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
That's a lovely watch. It would fit into my collection as a daily wear and would probably compete heavily with my Seiko Monster.

My guess for the 5k post is January 29, 2016.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I sir am no Yabo. Actually I'm not sure what that is but if you think it's bad then so do I.

Well I love watches, would consider myself more than a casual watch enthusiast (based on strange behavior like waking up in the middle of the night and checking watchrecon) and certainly value my watches. I cannot say I'm not a flipper but what flipping did provide me is a road to discovery and a relatively high comfort level with what's in my watchbox currently.

I have yet to own a German watch and coincidentally have been looking at Sinn and Damasko and so your give away is perfect timing for me to start appreciating German timepieces.

This is one hell of a giveaway and congrats on the upcoming milestone achievement.

Judgement day will be December 31, 2015.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Thanks for this generous giveaway. I'd like to enter please, since I don't currently have a pilot style watch, never owned a Damasko and would love to add one to my collection at some point. I'm a fan of anything with a touch of vintage style too. I have sold watches in the past, whilst I was still getting to know my tastes, but my collection has now really stabilized with a handful of long-term pieces so hopefully I'm not considered a flipper. I'll place a picture of my current collection below so you can see I don't have anything like this yet, and because every post needs a picture. :)

Regarding date for passing 5000, I'm going to guess November 20th.

Watch Display case Fashion accessory Glass

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.