WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I've been a lurker for quite some time here. My collection included Omega, Breitling, Citizen, Seiko and some other Russian models too, but now I'm on the lookout for a new one. I have a few wishes and I hope you guys can help me out in making the right choice.

first and foremost I want it to be at least 50mm. I have a 47 right now and that feels VERY petite (Citizen E210). I would like it to be as clean as possible with a bezel as tiny as possible too. The hamilton base jump has a case big enough but a huge bezel!

Also, I really want a sapphire chrystal. I've shattered quite a few mineral glass-chrystals and I feel I need a sapphire chrystal.

I don't mind if it's an automatic or quartz watch.

I have a budget around 775$...

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

PS: if you have a great suggestion that pushes my financial limit, that's fine... I was looking at U-Boat, too. I like the looks of U-boat: very bold yet kinda clean...

PPS: one last remark: no rubber straps or NATO straps. just leather or metal :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Hey,

I've been a lurker for quite some time here. My collection included Omega, Breitling, Citizen, Seiko and some other Russian models too, but now I'm on the lookout for a new one. I have a few wishes and I hope you guys can help me out in making the right choice.

first and foremost I want it to be at least 50mm. I have a 47 right now and that feels VERY petite (Citizen E210). I would like it to be as clean as possible with a bezel as tiny as possible too. The hamilton base jump has a case big enough but a huge bezel!

Also, I really want a sapphire chrystal. I've shattered quite a few mineral glass-chrystals and I feel I need a sapphire chrystal.

I don't mind if it's an automatic or quartz watch.

I have a budget around 775$...

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

PS: if you have a great suggestion that pushes my financial limit, that's fine... I was looking at U-Boat, too. I like the looks of U-boat: very bold yet kinda clean...

PPS: one last remark: no rubber straps or NATO straps. just leather or metal :)

Sapphire crystals are more likely to shatter. But more scratch-resistant.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, if you managed to smash a mineral crystal then if will be even easier for you to break a sapphire. As for a suggestion, sounds like you want a dress style watch in a 50mm case.... Not sure that exists. 47mm is very petite? I would love to see the wrist that makes 47mm look small!

·
Registered
136 Posts
50mm? OMG thats huge, thats like dinner plate sized! I have an average wrist and 45 feels big on me. Uhh Panerai makes alot of watches like that. I reccomend them over U-boat.

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts

How big are your wrists again? Or is this the look you're trying to emulate?

If you have Omegas and Seikos, aren't they all much smaller than 47mm? Unless of course you have a Ploprof or a Frankenmonster.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If you truly want something 50mm+, U-Boat is probably one of your best options. Mine is 50mm square which is huge, but U-Boat also makes up to 52mm circular options with an automatic movement.

DSCN6885.jpg

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
This is going well past your limit, but some of the IWC big pilots get close to your size requirement, as do some Zenith pilots.

In fact, at that size I can only think of two types of watches - pilots and Invicta... And I don't think you want the latter *shudder*

Sent from Russia.... with love.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Oris Prodiver.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

How big are your wrists again? Or is this the look you're trying to emulate?

If you have Omegas and Seikos, aren't they all much smaller than 47mm? Unless of course you have a Ploprof or a Frankenmonster.
yes, they were a lot smaller than 47mm :) Perhaps it looks right or maybe even large on my wrist to others but I find 47mm to be on the small side. A matter of taste, I suppose.

I'm not focussed on U-Boat, but they are one of the few I know who make a watch bigger than what I have at this moment, with a sapphire chrystal.

About shattering the mineral glass: perhaps the mineral glass on that particular watch was just a lot thinner compared with the presumably thicker sapphire chrystals, I don't know. All I do know is that sapphire never gave me issue over the last 15 years I'm wearing watches that aren't bought in your local spring fair ;) :p

I sold my Omega and Breitling because they were, indeed, too small for my taste. I'll go through the suggestions you made me, thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh, forgot to mention.

- It doesn't have to be an automatic. That's nice, but a quartz movement is fine, too.
- It doesn't have to be a dress watch, rather not actually.
- No diver. I simply don't like the look of divers... The bezel is often too thick. Pilot watches or marine watches (like Panerai, U boat, that kind of styling) is perfect.

The reason I'm hesitant about U-Boat is the sheer negativity I read here about that brand. It's not worth the money is a common complain, but what about, for example the Nero 960? That's less than a grand, quartz movement, sapphire chrystal. What's so bad about that watch that it isn't worth the 800$? I won't see myself dishing out more than 1000$ for a watch because I feel all those watches are too expensive for what you get...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look into TW steel watches. They make alot of 50mm quartz & automatic watches in that price range. Decent quality for the money.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look into TW steel watches. They make alot of 50mm quartz & automatic watches in that price range. Decent quality for the money.
thanks, but I think I just fell for the SISU :) heavy, solid, huge, sapphire, quartz. perfect for what I want and it's very moderately priced. Now. let's see if he can ship to Europe!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Its well out of your price range, but take a look at the Zenith Pilot Type 20, 57.5mm (full name of the watch is Pilot Montre d'Aeronef Type 20).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its well out of your price range, but take a look at the Zenith Pilot Type 20, 57.5mm (full name of the watch is Pilot Montre d'Aeronef Type 20).
looks nice, but that's not really for me ;) I think the SISU is just for me. in my price range AND visual parameters.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
There are several Pams that are 50+ mm,but all of them are beyond the budget stated...

Mare nostrum (Pam 008?) is 52 mm
While Pam 341 Egiziano is 60 mm
But the price for each of those are more than 20K us$

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
thanks, but I think I just fell for the SISU :) heavy, solid, huge, sapphire, quartz. perfect for what I want and it's very moderately priced. Now. let's see if he can ship to Europe!
If you haven't found it them already, there are some threads on SISU with lots of pictures that might interest you:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/sisu-guardian-q2-review-28-photos-715373.html
SISU Guardian Watch Review | A BLOG TO WATCH
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/very-...s-lot-about-perspective-pint-view-715174.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/would-you-wear-714466.html

All the best.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, yes, thanks for the links. I did see them but I was aware of at least one of the links :) the major complaint is that it's 'too big' and that it's too expensive, but as I'm in Europe, most other watches are just as expensive to me so there's very little difference. Many statements are based on opinion or on how they regard the Rolex-commercial to be distasteful but in my country distaste is the norm, or so it would seem. 'Jersey Shore' is being flaunted regularly and I have to admit, I have no idea what that means: had to google that. Little difference to be seen with my town, the capitol or other big parts of my country... Perhaps we have no taste at all? ;)

(oh, FYI: I live in the Netherlands, near the international criminal court in the Hague!).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts