WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this Omega up this morning locally. I'm trying really hard to find my watches with out the assistance of the Google machine these days.

It came to me very dirty with the typical decades worth of wrist grime in all crevasses, a stretch band, and wouldn't set due to a stem and crown that needed to be re-set. The crown is a replacement, but all else seems correct.

The 502 seems nothing really special, full rotation rotor, 17j, 2 adj., calendar. But there's just not much info out there that I've found concerning this movement.

Anyone have any input? Date range? I'm thinking 1955-1960ish. I'll attach a couple pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Pull the number inside the case back and I'll Google it for you.

Reactions: Addictedtowatches

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
You've got a fantastic late 50s and relatively early foul rotor SM with date. What makes your watch even nicer is two things imo:

1-the hippocampus on the back is raised and seemingly in great shape and

2-the dial looks very nicely aged without being too dirty with the crystal being polished or replaced it should brighten up by 5x.

its true to ca; 502 is nothing particularly 'special' but then again-its still part of the 5xx series and the golden age of Omega. The index markers are typical Omega -chunky and well defined. you found a winner in my book. clean/service-replce crown with proper 4leaf 'clover' crown and-good to go.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Very nice! Market introduction in 56, this one about 59/60. Correct crown can still be found and replaced. Carefull with the flakey/dried out lume because it's radium.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
One thing worries me a little bit- yes, the CK 2849 is a Seamaster Calendar, introduced in 1956, discontinued in 1962...
OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database
...which should have a calibre 503, not 502. Unless they've got it wrong in the database again.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Nice find, I have a soft spot for these 50's seamasters with the big lug cases, I have 5 at the moment, they wear very nicely and the 5xx series is at the peak of Omega's movement making, Enjoy it.

Matt

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info and comments so far. I'm curious how many 502's were made given the lack of info and relatively small sample group I've seen.

Omegas make up a five watch group of my collection: A cal. 351 Seamaster, cal. 502 Seamaster, cal. 550 automatic, cal. 560 (less than 3500 produced) Seamaster Deville, and cal. 8500 Planet Ocean.

I'm a fan of the 'chunky' Seamaster. My cal. 351 bumper is gold capped, with a dark green dial and gold script also. It's hard to photo (lack of skill and all..) but I'll attach one.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
They do not have 502 in their archive at all :D So I think it's ok
So, the Omega database has got it wrong again. With every Omega that I try to research, I trust that resource less and less...

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Oohh, I like that one

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I assume that archive as a light guideline :) And many times also did not find by reference. Then googling for similar images in google usually helps

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
. . . . The 502 seems nothing really special, full rotation rotor, 17j, 2 adj., calendar. But there's just not much info out there that I've found concerning this movement. . . .
This is the same base caliber as the 503 & 504 chronos. It operates at a frequency of 19,800. It is depicted below with a fine regulator. It's typical of Omegas of the era - it's robust, a decent autowind system, nice finish and its accuracy will closely approximate the 24J versions if well serviced/adjusted. The earliest tech doc I have found is dated 1956. Its performance compares very favorably with its rivals of the day. Special care should be used in servicing to protect the finish/patina of the bridges/plate. It's a watchmakers favorite because of the quality, ease of service and aesthetics.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
So, the Omega database has got it wrong again. With every Omega that I try to research, I trust that resource less and less...
I wouldn't put too much faith in databases, the vintage Omega database no exception. They're a reference at best. Missing an entire movement :D
If you have some cash to spare you might want to look into "A journey through time" or "Omega designs". Great books and much more reliable.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did notice after your mentioning it that my watch does have a fine adjustment micro-regulator. Didn't catch my eye on first glance!

. . . . The 502 seems nothing really special, full rotation rotor, 17j, 2 adj., calendar. But there's just not much info out there that I've found concerning this movement. . . .
This is the same base caliber as the 503 & 504 chronos. It operates at a frequency of 19,800. It is depicted below with a fine regulator. It's typical of Omegas of the era - it's robust, a decent autowind system, nice finish and its accuracy will closely approximate the 24J versions if well serviced/adjusted. The earliest tech doc I have found is dated 1956. Its performance compares very favorably with its rivals of the day. Special care should be used in servicing to protect the finish/patina of the bridges/plate. It's a watchmakers favorite because of the quality, ease of service and aesthetics.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, I really like it. I've had so many other projects lately this watch has kind of been placed on the back burner. Maybe need to give it some attention....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts