WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I ordered a black and a white insert. Going to go polar on the Great White and solid black on the black.

I’ll go back through this post to see if I can figure it out. I’ve never messed with my Seamasters. If I chicken out it’s only $30.
Did you go with one of these eBay ceramic inserts? I never installed mine as I felt like the white ceramic was too... translucent? As in, it wasn’t solid white enough to justify trying to make it work (photo below is just with it resting on top). That and it won’t sit fully flush in the bezel itself so you’ll have a bit of a raised edge, which I never got used to on my 2254 and ended up switching back to the original insert.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes I ended up buying the insert on eBay for $7. I don’t have it yet abs don’t have high hopes. Frankly I’m not sure how comfortable I am removing the bezel so I may not even bother if it’s that translucent. I might do the black bezel insert on my black GMT first if I’m going to give it a try. I really love Nik’s mod. His came out great.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Don’t have a GMT, but also changed the insert on my 2254 to a ceramic one. This one is made for a SKX and fits perfectly and enjoy the more modern look.

Hey you got the same insert I did for my 2254 right? Did yours sit flush in the bezel? Mine was flush with the crystal but I had maybe a half millimetre that was a raised edge, and even though I love having the lumed bezel, that edge was sharp as heck! When I compared to the stock insert what I figured was that the aluminum insert has a sharper angle to meet the bezel, whereas the ceramic one was a shallower angle.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hey you got the same insert I did for my 2254 right? Did yours sit flush in the bezel? Mine was flush with the crystal but I had maybe a half millimetre that was a raised edge, and even though I love having the lumed bezel, that edge was sharp as heck! When I compared to the stock insert what I figured was that the aluminum insert has a sharper angle to meet the bezel, whereas the ceramic one was a shallower angle.
Yes, it sits a bit higher on the edge of the bezel, but doesn’t bother me. And I still like the looks better than the not so perfect fit. Maybe at one point a different ceramic insert will fit better or I go back to the original.

Edit: scrolling numerous posts up I see your insert. I think we have a different insert as I have a solid triangle, but like yours as well. My insert is from DLW.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes, it sits a bit higher on the edge of the bezel, but doesn’t bother me. And I still like the looks better than the not so perfect fit. Maybe at one point a different ceramic insert will fit better or I go back to the original.

Edit: scrolling numerous posts up I see your insert. I think we have a different insert as I have a solid triangle, but like yours as well. My insert is from DLW.
Actually we have the same one! The one further up in the thread was a test insert I got off eBay, but the one I actually installed was the better one from DLW I agree, having the ceramic bezel insert really just looks a lot better.

I hope that someone will make a better fitting one in the future!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I thought I’d follow up on this with some more info:

I really wanted the insert to sit flush coz I always found a way to scratch myself on the edge. After chancing upon a discussion thread I learned I could sand down the insert’s thickness by using a 40mm diamond disc on a small rotary tool. I don’t have a dremel so I picked up a cheap rotary tool from Amazon, but I’d recommend you get the proper dremel brand disc as the reviews on cheaper diamond discs weren’t great.

I don’t have a proper workbench setup at home so I ended up gorilla taping the tool to the edge of my desk with the cutting disc level, and then I used double sided tape to fix the insert on a die, which I taped to a small piece of wood so I could safely run the insert over the disc. Given that it’s a 38mm insert, this works pretty well - just make sure you have enough clearance. I made sure the tool was very firmly attached before starting, since a runaway rotary tool would not be a good thing!

Photo before I added the die between the insert and the wood:

It took about 30-45 minutes of sanding and checking to get to the right thickness. I could probably have gone a little thinner but I’m pretty happy with the results. A couple drops of gorilla glue to hold it in place just as before.

With the insert flush, it feels great and is a great update to the 2254. I think this could easily be done for the GMT as well in the OPs mod.

Hope this helps some of you guys who’ve done this mod!

Pics of the end result:

·
Registered
7,749 Posts

I really wanted the insert to sit flush coz I always found a way to scratch myself on the edge. After chancing upon a discussion thread I learned I could sand down the insert’s thickness by using a 40mm diamond disc on a small rotary tool. I don’t have a dremel so I picked up a cheap rotary tool from Amazon, but I’d recommend you get the proper dremel brand disc as the reviews on cheaper diamond discs weren’t great.

I don’t have a proper workbench setup at home so I ended up gorilla taping the tool to the edge of my desk with the cutting disc level, and then I used double sided tape to fix the insert on a die, which I taped to a small piece of wood so I could safely run the insert over the disc. Given that it’s a 38mm insert, this works pretty well - just make sure you have enough clearance. I made sure the tool was very firmly attached before starting, since a runaway rotary tool would not be a good thing!

It took about 30-45 minutes of sanding and checking to get to the right thickness. I could probably have gone a little thinner but I’m pretty happy with the results. A couple drops of gorilla glue to hold it in place just as before.

With the insert flush, it feels great and is a great update to the 2254. I think this could easily be done for the GMT as well in the OPs mod.

Pics of the end result:

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: keisuke_z

·
Registered
338 Posts

Pics of the end result:

Great work and write up!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

101 - 111 of 111 Posts