WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if somebody sent you a DW-5300-1BV as a gift, but though the module is working 100% fine and the crystal and case back are in 99% condition, the resin is rotting away?
What would you do?
:think:

I know that (in theory) it's valuable and it was a gift, but the bezel is a goner and the strap will soon follow. I can't wear it and I don't want to get rid of it, and I also wouldn't like to just keep it sitting in my watch box.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Replace the bezel and the strap, then wear it.

Reactions: williamthewolf

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
If you could still glue together the pieces of the bezel you should try finding someone that can then model a steel bezel from that. I've seen it done with other models like the vintage Gaussman or even a plain DW-5600E with a stirling silver bezel - some of the most stunning mods I ever saw btw. Dental laboratory technicians should be able to do something like that. It's probably best if you know someone personally because otherwise this might be pretty expensive I guess. Just imagine - a DW-5300 with a steel bezel - I think this would probably be pretty cool.
Just look at this:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/new-metal-bezel-my-old-gaussman-pics-481338.html

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
the bezel is definitely done. Is the strap the 18mm one? because you can find 5600c straps on ebay for reasonable prices every once in a while or how about asking one of the after market brazilian people if they can make you an aftermarket one

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the worse part will be the bezel, since I'm fairly confident I could find a suitable strap from the 5600. Will that module fit in case or bezel that is not a 5300?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's alive!!!!!

A real franken G: 5400C-1 bezel, 5400C-9 case and strap and 5300-1 module. But, everything works and now I can wear it b-).

I didn't do the job on this one, since the crystal had to be custom fitted in the case. All in all I think it looks great, and I now can put it in the regular watch rotation :-!. I'm just not sure about the golden buttons and buckle, I might send it back in to change them to regular silver, since I don't think they go well with the 5400C-1 bezel. Would it be possible to change just the buttons?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nice Franken/Sting,Luciano, another one for your new watch case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts