WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you remember my post about a DW8300 restoration a few days ago,
maybe you'll remember I've found the NOS case in a Casio repair shop.

Well, I was thinking, if he had NOS 8300, what about a 5600C?
I have a broken crystal 5600c, maybe after waiting and searching a year
for a crystal or a case, he has one?

I ran there, and the guy looks at me and says "I have a used one, somewhere..."
:-x I had to use all my self-control abilities in order to keep me from jumping :-d
After a week he calls me - "...I have it". How stupidly lucky am I?
Half an hour and 17$ later, it was mine :-!

Now for the restoration:

No caseback, scratched crystal, full of dirt. But it's a 5600c!

First, every pusher is taken out, gaskets (two each) cleand and siliconized,
pusher's rod polished in order to have better contact with the gasket.
Some of the pushers were crocked so I had to set them straight b-)

Found a caseback. Only for now, later I'll put a better one. and a new caseback gasket of course.

Now for some crystal and case polishing. It's a tough job. I'll do it partially, I don't have the patience to do it now all the way. 901 module in, and...

Not bad...

The poor 5600c is naked and it's cold outside :)

At last, late at night, a wrist shot! I've waited loooong time for that one. A lot of hair has grown on my wrist :-d

With some old friends, another 5600c and a 5200

Thanks for looking, and good night.
Galpo

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
:-!:-! very nice restauration project! You really seem to know that stuff. Did you learn how to do that by trial and error or do you have some training in that area? I never even knew you could take out the pusher gaskets, lube them and then put them back on the rod. That's not even possible on most mechanical watches. And people always think a Casio is a cheap watch that you simply throw away when the battery is empty but obviously Casio designed the DW-5600C in such a way that almost every part is replaceable/repairable - good to know, 'cause I'm thinking about getting a DW-5000SL next :-!.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Looks good. The caseback is proper for that watch as it's a Japan H case. Don't polish the case; it's supposed to look that way.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:-!:-! very nice restauration project! You really seem to know that stuff. Did you learn how to do that by trial and error or do you have some training in that area? I never even knew you could take out the pusher gaskets, lube them and then put them back on the rod. That's not even possible on most mechanical watches. And people always think a Casio is a cheap watch that you simply throw away when the battery is empty but obviously Casio designed the DW-5600C in such a way that almost every part is replaceable/repairable - good to know, 'cause I'm thinking about getting a DW-5000SL next :-!.

Greetings, Sedi :)
Thanks.
All the knowledge I have comes from this forum, SCWF and PMWF watchmaking posts.
and some trial & error, can't do anything without that ;-)

The first 5600 I got I did take the gaskets out. In this one I just got
the pusher out and cleaned the gasket while still inside the case,
seems good enough.
Most of the mess is outside the pusher's groove.
But as you say, the 5600c is built to last and overhauled if necessary.
That's one of the reasons that I like it so much.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good. The caseback is proper for that watch as it's a Japan H case. Don't polish the case; it's supposed to look that way.
Thanks. I know it to look that way, I polished only the crystal,
the case was cleaned with a tooth brush and a brass brush.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
i like that rough surface much more than the mirror polished.

any idea, if it would make sense to get the caseback of the DW-5000SL rough? thats the spike lee, its shining caseback.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Nice job Galpo,
the watch looks great!:-!
Coincidentally I've just restored a DW-5600C today;-) and had just as much as you had!
Lee

·
Registered
539 Posts
great job, and looking good.i recently tackled a dw-5600c restoration project myself,and although it wasnt in a bad condition,it still needed to be polished.
ive had great success using diamond polishing paste to remove all the scratches on the crystal and it even works on the steel casing.

i used 0.5 micron polishing paste for the glass,and 1 micron polishing paste for the case

here are a couple of pics.....im glad ive finally found something to remove the scratches off the glass....and i didnt even have to use any drills etc,just good ol elbow grease and about 10mins later....please see the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
great job, and looking good.i recently tackled a dw-5600c restoration project myself,and although it wasnt in a bad condition,it still needed to be polished.
ive had great success using diamond polishing paste to remove all the scratches on the crystal and it even works on the steel casing.

i used 0.5 micron polishing paste for the glass,and 1 micron polishing paste for the case

here are a couple of pics.....im glad ive finally found something to remove the scratches off the glass....and i didnt even have to use any drills etc,just good ol elbow grease and about 10mins later....please see the pics
Great job with the polishing, it looks great!:-!
Where did you buy the polishing paste from? Do you think it might be available in DIY stores? Do you also polish using a circular motion or straight back and forth movement in your polishing?
Hope you don't mind answering my questions, thanks.
Rgds,
Lee

·
Registered
539 Posts
straight back and forward at first ..pressing relatively hard for about 3mins,wipe off and check,then restart again.
then lightly once again when scratch is gone in small circular motions.polish the whole crystal.
just used normal soft cloths,and bought the paste off the net.diamond polishing paste...also called diamond grinding polishing paste...used to polish jewelry and gem stones

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
straight back and forward at first ..pressing relatively hard for about 3mins,wipe off and check,then restart again.
then lightly once again when scratch is gone in small circular motions.polish the whole crystal.
just used normal soft cloths,and bought the paste off the net.diamond polishing paste...also called diamond grinding polishing paste...used to polish jewelry and gem stones
Thanks!
Really appreciate your info.:)
Lee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts