WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
5600 models compared:DW5600-G5600-GW5600-GW-M5600

Hi guys,

Well, since some of you have suggested (and pursuaded me) to buy a 5600 model, I've been trying to figure out what the differences are between the DW-5600, G-5600 and GW-5600.
There is plenty of information on these in loads of different posts, but since I'm new to g-shocks I thought it might be handy to summarize a few things.

Please correct me if you think that the information is not right, or if I've missed some important feature's!

According to information I found in several posts, these are some of the differences that are mentioned most often:

DW-5600: (module 1545 )
PRO's: Low cost. Displays both day and date at the same time. El lighting (DW-5600E only). Dual time ( vintage DW-5600C only).
CON's: Does not have Tough Solar technology. Does not have waveceptor technology. The countdown timer can be set only in one direction: up +. Does not have world time. Has smaller digits than the G-5600 and GW-5600.

G-5600:(module 2597)
PRO's: Has Tough Solar technology. Accepts strap adaptors. Has a large countdown timer and stopwatch ( both 100 Hrs). Displays both day and date at the same time. The countdown timer can be set by scrolling up + or down -. Current time remains visible in all modes except stopwatch. Dual time. Auto EL. Has large digits.
CON's: Does not have waveceptor technology. Is slightly smaller, thinner and lighter than the GW or DW.

GW-5600: (module 2924)
PRO's: Has Tough Solar technology. Has waveceptor technology (Us and Japan only). Shows world time in 30 cities. Auto EL. Full auto calender. Large digits.
CON's: Has a short countdown timer (60 minutes) and stopwatch (24 Hrs). Does not show day and date at the same time. Current time is not visible in other modes.

UPDATE: GW-M5600 (module 3063)
PRO's: Has Tough Solar technology. Has 5 band waveceptor technology ((US, Japan, Europe). Large digits, Day and date both displayed, Stopwatch 1000 Hours. Current time displayed in countdown mode. Tone can be muted, 5 alarms.
CON's: Has (still) a short countdown timer of 60 minutes. Current time is not visible in stopwatch mode.

The case size of the new GW-M5600 : 46.7x43.2x12.7mm /51.7

The case of the G-5600 is at 12,1mm and 52 grams slightly less chunky than the GW-5600 and DW-5600 which are 13,4mm thick and weigh 54 grams. Seeing the watches side by side it becomes obvious that the G-5600 has a slightly smaller bezel than the GW-5600. The bezel of the GW-5600 is thicker, wider and taller and has more of a square appearance while the G-5600 is more rectangular.

Some of you mention also that the GW-5600 looks better than the other models. There are also differencens in opinion about the band being more comfortable on one model or the other. The GW-5600BCJ (and now also a version of the GW-M5600) offer a composite bracelet.

GW-M5600BC-1JF

GW-M5600-1JF

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Anyone seen the bottom middle DW-5600 up for sale anywhere? Cant find any on ebay.

(Great thread btw)

·
Registered
77 Posts
sometimes on ebay you have to write DW5600 (all affixed!)

Does anybody knows the entire name of the G-5600 with the neg display?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Thank you for this. Invaluable comparison! Going through the same purchasing dilema myself. It's good to have this sort of thing as a sticky.

I know this is just me but it seems the more choice we have, the easier it is to be unsatisfied with the options.
eg:
- The gorgeous looking GW5600 (+ve) but with a day display.
- The GW-M5600-1JF but with the BC-1JF's bracelet.
:-s

·
Registered
399 Posts
In all fairness you forgot to mention that the 5600C is the solid steel "hocky puck" body. The rest are the composite resin bodies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the GW-M5600 anybody know where to get it and is bluedial.com a real good, reliable dealer to get this watch from?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is this new GW-5000 a Japanese only model? If so will they be making a US version , because I'm debating whether to wait for a US version of the GW-5000 or get a GWM-5600. Any help would be appreciated thanks :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
It says in the (old) review that the GW-M5600 has auto-EL. is this true, and if so, how do you turn it on/off?

·
Registered
618 Posts
It says in the (old) review that the GW-M5600 has auto-EL. is this true, and if so, how do you turn it on/off?
Hold down the light button until A.EL is displayed (2-3 seconds) on the right.

I'm assuming it has the 3063 module.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice lineup. That makes it easy to compare. I'm curious how the volume of the different 5600's is. There doesn't seem to be much information about that or are they all, like my mtg, low volume.
The G-SHOCK text on the GW5600 bezel is irl a bit more grayish (wearing it right now). Like this.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts