WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5711 SS Nautilus is one of my grails that i do not think i will ever have the option to buy based on supply (Assuming i save up enough and gain permission from the wifey) I appreciate the design and details of the timepiece.

Question is: would people be raving about the 5711 as much if the supply was readily available from retailers for the msrp of 22k?

Photo is from Monochrome Watches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I've love the Nautilus for a while, and even before I knew about the difficulty purchasing one. If anything, facing like a 2x grey market price, or a 10 year wait list makes me want it less than I used to.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Osamu, i hear ya. From a business perspective, i can see why Patek and AP are limiting the supply of the Nautilus and Royal Oak models. However, 10 year waitlists are pretty ridiculous in my mind. It will be interesting to see the longterm impacts to the watchmaking world from these watches business models.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
1,183 Posts
Personally I love the Nautilus and would still want one if I ever could afford to get one. But the difficulty in trying to get one makes me realize how much harder I have to work to have a Patek and like they say good things come to those who wait.

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
I think the watch might be more popular if it was readily available and could be had at RRP. It would get into more people’s hand and more people would sing its praises. Sure, it would drive down the cost used, and some dealers might give discounts on new watches if they were readily available but regardless of that it’s still a fantastic watch

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I appreciate the design and blah blah blah.

I could never justify to myself paying more than 10 grand USD on a watch no matter my income or disposable income level.

Plus Im saving for something spushul! Must not buy more watches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: brandon\

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I like them. It's a classic design. But I would think long and hard about spending 40+ grand on one. Even if I had a million in liquid cash, it's not worth that kind of money to me. YMMV

·
Registered
654 Posts
It is my grail as well, but with the recent 20% price increase and the multi year wait list, I don't think I'll ever get one. I like it for the Genta design and PP craftsmanship, more than any idea of exclusivity.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I’m not sure if you’re open to grey market or used supply. I don’t know as much about Nautilus pricing but have casually followed Aquanaut grey market and used pricing the last few years.
In the last 6 months to 1 year Aquanaut supply has tightened considerably and prices risen accordingly. Two-three years ago one could frequently find BNIB/mint Aquanauts from reputable grey market sellers in the $16-18kUSD range. Now it seems rare to find a decent one below $20k.
My point is that high-end watch supply and pricing (grey market) will track with the economy which has firmed up nicely for those interested in this price category. If you’re willing to wait and play the long game, I expect supply and pricing will become attractive again during the next economic down cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I’m not sure if you’re open to grey market or used supply. I don’t know as much about Nautilus pricing but have casually followed Aquanaut grey market and used pricing the last few years.
Nautilus prices have gone crazy. MSRP is like 26k. But the gray market price for a blue dial is around 45k.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
It's a beauty! ABTW blames the price on the "Genta Effect". A gorgeous 324 S C under the hood running at 28,800.

Patek-Philippe-Nautilus-5711-1A-010-watch-44.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've loved the 5711 for many years (and the 3700 before that) - and it has nothing to do with its rock star status in the pre-owned market at the moment. It's hard to describe how perfect this watch is on the wrist (IMO), the recent demand adds to the allure, sure, but this is a watch that was done right, and I'd feel the same about it were it trading for half the price on the open market.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Nautilus prices have gone crazy. MSRP is like 26k. But the gray market price for a blue dial is around 45k.
Egad! I didn't realize the Nautilus spread was that wide, my bad! I thought the op arbitrarily chose the $22k rrp as half the current going rate!
Not sure if that's always been the case, but Imo, the Nautilus has routinely been one of the most desirable high-end sport watch for a long while.

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
It's a beauty! ABTW blames the price on the "Genta Effect". A gorgeous 324 S C under the hood running at 28,800.

View attachment 13249575
Yes but compared to a 3155 from Rolex Day Date or an IWC Ingénieur Jumbo with a 8541b , it is not amagnetic and the movement is far more delicate but come on 40k , it is bordeline crookery and the waiting list, it is borderline insanity. There are sellers who are unfortnately trying to inflate the prices following the hype and the wave of auction houses, the result is what it is kinda like for Rolex, the prices have killed the market.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I think the watch might be more popular if it was readily available and could be had at RRP. It would get into more people’s hand and more people would sing its praises. Sure, it would drive down the cost used, and some dealers might give discounts on new watches if they were readily available but regardless of that it’s still a fantastic watch
I couldn't disagree more. A lot of people who want a Nautilus want it because it is hard to come by, therefore it seems rarer than other Pateks. It also forces collectors to buy other pieces if they want a Nautilus, which broadens their horizons and may stimulate them to collect other types of Patek (something AP missed the boat on). You can see how successful this limited distribution is in the Royal Oak 15202 which, fr years, suffered from over distribution and lagging resale value compared to PP. Since AP made them Boutique only and tightened up the delivery we've seen 15202 resale prices climb above their new prices and get more closely aligned to the Nautilus curve (while not reaching it, due to the branding on the dial).

The Nautilus is a beautiful watch, but the movement is delicate for a sport watch, the PP WR ratings are notorious and the bracelet feels cheap with those pins. At the old MSRP of $22k I didn't think it was a comparable value to the 15202, at the new MSRP and the crazy used market, I can't seem to see why anyone would buy it over an Overseas or RO variant other than the limited distribution that makes what you cannot have so much sweeter.

I think Patek is doing exactly the right thing.

Reactions: Zama and Tommywine0

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I meant to also ask to anyone who'd know:
How long has this huge retail vs grey market price spread existed for the Nautilus?
Has it always been like that? Last 5 years? Or just in the last year?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I like the design, but I think the bracelet and especially the clasp let the watch down.

It has this incredibly cheap looking metal flip lock thing. PPClasp2-800.jpgoriginal.jpg

In my opinion, the AP RO and the VC overseas both offer more impressive packages (the bracelets are more important parts of the design, and are better executed).

1 - 20 of 59 Posts