WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Folks -- Buying my first "grown up" watch & seeking this amazing community's help! Been looking for ~2 months now, which should tell you I enjoy the research as much as the product.

Issue is - I have a flat 6" wrist. Seems like lug-to-lug and lug curve is more important than case size - but what do I know?? (Also would love GMT or long reserve like the 6R35 has - but you can't have it all at this price range).

Here's my shortlist (for budget & style) - welcoming EVERYONE'S input & recommendations!!

39.5mm - Seiko Alpinist - SPB117J1 (~$725)
38mm - Seiko Alpinist (New) - SPB155J (~$725)
39mm - Baltic Aquascaphe - Black or Blue, Steel Bezel or Regular (~$700)
38mm - Halios Universa (not yet released)
39mm - Yema Kickstarter Bronze/Blue 39" GMT In-house (New - 10/15 release - $750 pre-order)
39mm - Lorier Hydra Series II (not yet released ~$500)
38mm - Christopher Waltz C60 38mm (~$900 but goes on sale often?)
37.5mm - Rado HyperChrome CC Automatic Black R32500153 (~$1300 retail)
39.5mm - Farer Oxley Black LE GMT (~$1450, but 45 lug to lug is appealing)
Other - NTH for thinness? Zelos for super short lugs? Zodiac? Nodus? Glycine? Buying Used?

What am I missing? Anything Smaller / Better / Different? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

PS: If the watch isn't currently available - but will be soon, I'm able to wait :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd definitely go for the yema (tbf I came to the forums rn to read abotu their new kickstarter).
A brand with heritage, an inhouse movement 300 meter water resistant bronze gmt dive watch, and it just looks amazing. The resell value definitely will be above the pre-order price as well.
Also I just love the blue GMT, I personally don't have anything negative about the design (obviously didn't see it in person yet).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Since you’re already considering Lorier, you might want to look at the Falcon as well. Would be a great size for your wrist.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
My wrist is 6.5 - 6.75. I would be more concerned with the overall lug to lug width when purchasing a new watch. Under 47mm usually works for me although I prefer 44 - 45mm.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yema for sure. Deal is unbelievable.........+love the look and everything about the wstch. brand following is gaining speed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Folks -- Buying my first "grown up" watch & seeking this amazing community's help! Been looking for ~2 months now, which should tell you I enjoy the research as much as the product.

Issue is - I have a flat 6" wrist. Seems like lug-to-lug and lug curve is more important than case size - but what do I know?? (Also would love GMT or long reserve like the 6R35 has - but you can't have it all at this price range).

Here's my shortlist (for budget & style) - welcoming EVERYONE'S input & recommendations!!

39.5mm - Seiko Alpinist - SPB117J1 (~$725)
38mm - Seiko Alpinist (New) - SPB155J (~$725)
39mm - Baltic Aquascaphe - Black or Blue, Steel Bezel or Regular (~$700)
38mm - Halios Universa (not yet released)
39mm - Yema Kickstarter Bronze/Blue 39" GMT In-house (New - 10/15 release - $750 pre-order)
39mm - Lorier Hydra Series II (not yet released ~$500)
38mm - Christopher Waltz C60 38mm (~$900 but goes on sale often?)
37.5mm - Rado HyperChrome CC Automatic Black R32500153 (~$1300 retail)
39.5mm - Farer Oxley Black LE GMT (~$1450, but 45 lug to lug is appealing)
Other - NTH for thinness? Zelos for super short lugs? Zodiac? Nodus? Glycine? Buying Used?

What am I missing? Anything Smaller / Better / Different? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

PS: If the watch isn't currently available - but will be soon, I'm able to wait :)
I think the Baltic steel 12 hour bezel might be worth looking into - good alternative to a GMT hand, you can set the 12 hour mark on the bezel to track a second time zone. The Yema looks great but I wouldn’t go with bronze for a first watch, steel is much more versatile. Welcome to the hobby!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lug to lug is more important than case dimension. 48 and below should work for you but if the watch comes on a bracelet check if the first links after the end-links are male or female as this can also make a watch wear bigger o true to it's lug to lug distance.
I would go for the yema, at $750 it is a great deal and why not grab a seiko snk8xx for around $90 too.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
It's going to be worn on your wrist.

Why seek opinions?

Go with your heart, head and wallet.

Enjoy the ride, cause it ain't gonna end with this purchase, that's for certain :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
As Russ 1965 said, you don't need to limit yourself. I have a 6.2" wrist and I am fine wearing a marinemaster 300. Depending on a lot of factors, you could get away with larger watches.

Not too happy with the 6R35, mine is running between -20s/day these days, it might go back to Seiko for a check. And had some qualities issues with my Yema which is back to Yema for repair. Their customer service is super responsive though, it compensates I guess.

You could have fun with a few quartz before plunging into automatic watches also (cheaper, no inaccuracies problems, less services) and see what you like.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Another vote for the Lorier Falcon, would be a nice fit. I Also agree with what someone else said in that the lug to lug is just as important as the diameter.

I'd check out the following:

• Hamilton khaki field auto (38mm)
  • Seiko SARB 033 or 035 (38mm)
  • Smiths Everest (36mm)
  • Sinn 556 (38mm)
  • Glycine Combat 6 (36mm)
Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Seiko Mini Turtle. I had three (two limited editions and a black one) and liked them a lot. Wears great in small wrists.

And some colorful versions, if you're into it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Christopher Ward C60 gets my vote...after receiving one 5 days ago it’s been on my wrist daily and is at +/-0 per day...it’s unreal. The case and bracelet are also very comfortable and wrap the wrist well. I also have the SPB117 and that fits great too, although I agree that the 6r35 movement hasn’t been very accurate for me either. Oh and my wrist is 6.25 in.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Another vote for the Lorier Falcon, would be a nice fit. I Also agree with what someone else said in that the lug to lug is just as important as the diameter.

I'd check out the following:

• Hamilton khaki field auto (38mm)
  • Seiko SARB 033 or 035 (38mm)
  • Smiths Everest (36mm)
  • Sinn 556 (38mm)
  • Glycine Combat 6 (36mm)
Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I will second this list.....one of my most comfortable watches is my 36mm Smiths Everest.

A9A1959B-3849-4A28-8878-B4048A2FBB81.jpeg

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I wouldn't go with the Alpinists. Not their best finished watches. Lots of wobbly bits.

Purely based on reviews, Lorier would be no. 1 for me, or Baltic. Bronze is in general... mmmh. Not as universal.

My personal suggestion would be a small size (36 mm) older Omega SMP. They can be had for around 1K if you find the right deal. Absolutely feels like, I dunno, at least 5K on the wrist. The haptics of pure quality.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You have a lot of good ideas in your list. I have a 6.25" wrist and have experience with many of the watches on your list.

To me the seiko alpinist wears a bit thick/top heavy for my taste, although I do like the dial. I had the baltic aquascaphe blue/gilt briefly but found the faux patina tone too orange-y (and I am fine with faux patina generally).

The halios is a good choice but as you said it is not available yet and it will probably be hard to get even when it does become available. I had a yema superman briefly as well. I love the dial/crown lock but found that the superman did not sink in much/curve to my wrist thus creating a "floating lugs" look that I did not like.

The lorier hydra is intriguing, but being almost all dial, it will probably wear larger than its listed 39mm.

I bought the rado hyperchrome captain cook from jomashop, but ended up returning it as at that time, early on in my collecting journey, I did not appreciate smaller watches as much as I do now. The captain cook is still on my list of watches that I might re-purchase at some point, and I think it has a lot going for it.

I have had various NTH subs (Odin, Barracuda, Nacken) and ultimately move on from them because although the thinness is great, the case is very flat and the 48mm lug to lug is just a touch too long for me with such a flat case.

I like the nodus contrail 2, and considered pre-ordering one, but the design just did not speak to me enough to pull the trigger.

I would suggest looking at the raven trekker 39. I pre-ordered the grey dial/stainless steel bezel version.

I would also look into the serica 4512. 37.7mm and 11.3mm thin.

Also the monta triumph. 38.5mm and under 11mm thin.

Also the Grand Seiko SBGF021. 38mm / 42mm lug to lug / less than 11mm thin.
Here is a great thread on it Grand Seiko SBGF021 showcase

If you are considering something a bit more expensive I would also look into the 36mm version of the longines legend diver. It has a relatively long lug to lug for a 36mm watch, and I find that it fits my wrist beautifully (not my pic below).

Lots of great options out there. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a yema superman briefly as well. I love the dial/crown lock but found that the superman did not sink in much/curve to my wrist thus creating a "floating lugs" look that I did not like.
Same exact experience!

Also the lug holes were too far away from the case which made straps awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
38mm Hamilton Field Khaki--hand wind, which is cool and fun to do everyday, and also has the pilot's vibe.

Hamilto Khaki Field

Lot's of color combinations, and they come up for sale relatively often on WUS, where can get one in pristine condition for about $200 less than retail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are all amazing suggestions - by all means keep them coming, you have no idea how helpful (and equally harder, at the same time haha) this makes my search.

Disappointing on the yema - as many have called out the lug length and the floating concern, even though it's an absolute steal.

Question: how would one actually go about acquiring a smiths everest 36 at a non-outrageous mark up? Saw there was one posted here 2 weeks ago for $350 but sold instantly. Is it discontinued?

Question: In general what's a good place to buy used / discontinued watches?

Question: lots of lorier suggestions (in general and the falcon - which I somehow left off my initial list). Does it wear well? I've read the lugs are disproportionate. Do you miss the date?

Thanks everyone and any + all recommendations are beyond appreciated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts