WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone ; this is one of my first threads , Ive made 5 or less ; anyway, I wanted to know which
automatic watches i could get for 600 (tops 700) dollars.
Im going to buy it in 5 or 6 moths cause right now im gonna get an omega seamaster.
But the thing is that I dont want any watch ; I would like it to have these specs:

1-A good machinery , something my watch repairer ( jeweler) would be happy to work with...

2-It doesnt have to be a well known brand preferrably an independent watchmaker or little workshop.
( A brand that charges you what the machinery is really worth , no to charge for their "name")

3-It can be used or new (but if its used i would like it to be in mint condition)

Well those are all my priorities ...
BTW Thanks a lot for taking the time of reading and/or answering.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Seiko, Steinhart, Deep Blue, Boschett...just a few of many options for you to choose from.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
If you're looking for a sportier watch then I'd say a Seiko Sumo, Armida A1 or A2, Boschett CD, Bathys 100F auto, Helson Shark Diver, etc......
There are tons of options.
What type of style did you have in mind?

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
There are too many to list and recommending just one or a few brands would be doing you a disservice. Browse through the daily "what are you wearing" (WRUW) threads. Find something you like. Check the price. Go for it if it is within your price range.

Taking one particular recommendation from someone without providing more details - design, size, brand, auto vs quartz, bracelet/strap, etc... is a shot in the dark.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
Hamilton best bang for your buck. In that price range I would also look at Christopher Ward, Seiko, and Frederique Constant.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You may not be interested in divers but if I was in your shoes I'd be considering the Seiko Sumo or Halios Laguna.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im looking for something thats kind of sporty but could also be used as a dress watch, like i said I want something that has a good automatic machinery that a WIS would drool over....
Something that comes out of an obscure brand, a small watchmaker , or a small workshop...
It could have a bracelet or a strap ......

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Which applies to hundreds if not thousands of watches. Go with the WRUW threads.

At $600, you will get solid reliable automatic movements (6r15, 2824, etc..) but probably not something a WIS would drool over.

To get an actual watch made by a small watchmaker in a small workroom, you are talking about custom productions that are well over that price range. If you want to purchase a boutique company watch which outsources to a large manufacturer, then there are plenty of choices, but they won't be designed or assembled by a watchmaker - more like a CAD drawing and workers operating a computer guided water jet.

Im looking for something thats kind of sporty but could also be used as a dress watch, like i said I want something that has a good automatic machinery that a WIS would drool over....
Something that comes out of an obscure brand, a small watchmaker , or a small workshop...

·
Registered
4 Posts
...Stolas...

·
Registered
19,852 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Which applies to hundreds if not thousands of watches. Go with the WRUW threads.
Thanks ;It Seems that your answers are the most assertive...
But lets say not a watch that would make a WIS drool ( I know what type of watches literally make WIS drool but they have to be $100,000 and upper); but something that could show that im interested in watches and not only the comercial brands out there.... You know?
I know maybe Im not being that specific and im sorry for that ; but its just that It could really be of any tipe.....
Heres what I Want so far:
-Dress , sporty design.
-As i said Something that tells that Im interested in other watches that are not so commercial.
-Something that a WIS would see and think "This guy knows about watches" (even if hes not wearing a Rolex).
-A Good Movement.
-A Bracelet / Strap (Its not one of my priorities ¿Cause I Can Still Change it Right?)

Ive Read one or two stories about small production watches here in WUS.
BTW How much Do you think A small watchmaker or workshop would charge me for a watch you dont have to be very specific you can just tell me their prices range from ??? / ???? And maybe some "names"?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I would have a look at the Stowa section on these very forums, I have a feeling you may like what you will find as this high quality brand ticks all the boxes in your post, good luck finding what you want and keep us updated ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
now, if I'm looking for a good value watch that is 'sporty' and could double as a dress watch, and want the 'wow' factor from WISes, and only have about 600 to spend, I personally would look into vintage chronographs ... or perhaps not so vintage but still a good value without the name brand mark up

1. Christ Professional Diver Chronograph Valjoux 7750 movement
2. Jacques Lemans Automatic Chronograph
3. Tourist Diver Chronograph, Val 7750 movement
4. Aerowatch, Aeroplan Automatic Chronograph

check out some Ingersolls as well

1. 1815386.jpg 2. 1617533.jpg 3. 1708012.jpg
4. 1735199.jpg

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It seems like you shoud stick with ETA powered watches.
+1. They are the way forward, I think.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
But lets say not a watch that would make a WIS drool ( I know what type of watches literally make WIS drool but they have to be $100,000 and upper);
Thanks...
this statement is not steeped in fact. $500-$600 gets you into so many outstanding watch brands that it is literally impossible to list them all(and the wis here drool over them all of the time)
my advise mirrors eric; check out the daily wruw threads and if something catches your eye pm the member for some info as the guys here really enjoy discussing their watches.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Sporty and dressy. Hmmm, let's see.

Halios Laguna
Steinhart Ocean 1 or Ocean 1 Vintage REd
MKII Seafighter
Seiko Sumo
Marcello C Nettuno (more than $600, but close used)

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
To get a watch made completely in house, i.e. case milled, swiss movement, assembled, timed, and pressure tested, you are looking at something like RGM, UTS, etc.. - you can check out their prices on your own. But for the most part these run $2000+. And even with that, some of the parts will likely be sourced from Asia and then further worked on (such as engraving) in the country of assembly. In today's global economy, to get a "small workshop" watch is not cheap. There is nothing in the $600 range, certainly.

It is still unclear what kind of watch you want - dressy/sporty means nothing here, since some people think a diver can be dressy and others think a dress watch can be sporty. You really have to check out the daily threads to find something you like and research from there. It is really more satisfying to make your own decision by doing your own research, rather than take suggestions on specific models from other people. By doing some more reading you will know what your priority is - qualities such as a heavy case vs a thin case, good lume vs poor lume, bracelet or strap, type of crystal, AR inside/outside, brand of movement, features of movement, etc... - there are just too many variables to give a specific suggestion on. For example, no it is not always possible to switch between a strap or bracelet - some watches use narrow lugs which require proprietary straps. And fitting an aftermarket bracelet can sometimes leave a gap at the lugs, as opposed to the fitted endlink on the factory bracelet. Hope this gives you an idea of what to think about.

Here's how I got started. I saw a watch I thought was neat. I bought it. Then I saw other neat watches. Bought those too. Those I stopped wearing I sold on the sales forums. Over the years I figured out what I liked and what I did not like. Then I refined my collection that way. It wasn't because someone told me to buy one particular watch. Now I have my own list of must haves, and look for those in any watch I would consider.

Thanks ;It Seems that your answers are the most assertive...
But lets say not a watch that would make a WIS drool ( I know what type of watches literally make WIS drool but they have to be $100,000 and upper); but something that could show that im interested in watches and not only the comercial brands out there.... You know?
I know maybe Im not being that specific and im sorry for that ; but its just that It could really be of any tipe.....
Heres what I Want so far:
-Dress , sporty design.
-As i said Something that tells that Im interested in other watches that are not so commercial.
-Something that a WIS would see and think "This guy knows about watches" (even if hes not wearing a Rolex).
-A Good Movement.
-A Bracelet / Strap (Its not one of my priorities ¿Cause I Can Still Change it Right?)

Ive Read one or two stories about small production watches here in WUS.
BTW How much Do you think A small watchmaker or workshop would charge me for a watch you dont have to be very specific you can just tell me their prices range from ??? / ???? And maybe some "names"?

Thanks...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts